PDA

View Full Version : Subverted wishes -- a new observation

Jay R
2020-04-08, 02:16 PM
I'm not trying to open up a discussion about how wishes should be treated in games. We all know the many ways they have been treated, and we all know that none of those ways are going to disappear.

I just want to point out a specific example.

Last year, I and many other people were wishing that we had more free time at home.

This is not what we intended.

Batcathat
2020-04-08, 04:31 PM
I bet the person who made the wish really liked a certain brand of beer.

Ninjadeadbeard
2020-04-08, 09:57 PM
Last year, I and many other people were wishing that we had more free time at home.

This is not what we intended.

Boooo! BOOOOO! :smalltongue:

Then again, one of my players did wish we could all learn to use Roll20...

Kaptin Keen
2020-04-09, 02:00 AM
Well ...... on the other hand, a lot of us really wished we could do something good for the environment - and that wish panned out just fine. So it's give and take =)

Eldan
2020-04-09, 02:39 AM
On the other hand, I wished I didn't have to teach first year students lab safety procedure anymore.

Now I have to teach them lab procedure over the internet, while they are not in the lab.

So yeah, I want my wish back.

Draconi Redfir
2020-04-09, 10:19 AM
i wished i could be more productive with my life.

"My everyday life" being labeled as "Extreme measures" is not what i had in mind.

Quertus
2020-04-09, 11:18 AM
I can see not having to fight so much traffic on there commute, not having to deal with idiots, or even not having to worry about people starring at their girlfriend when they go out to eat.

Zhorn
2020-04-09, 11:47 AM
I wished to come across as more socially confident... now with classes online, most of my peers are acting all nervous and awkward about talking into a computer while people are in the room, while I got over that hangup years back when I got into online gaming... Now I'm the first volunteer in presentations and leading group discussion in almost every class...

These monkey paw wishes are strange :smallconfused:

edit: word salad

Matuka
2020-04-09, 01:45 PM
It's what you wanted, but it's not how you wanted it to occur. Fairly interesting.

Draconi Redfir
2020-04-09, 01:55 PM
it's just like Enzo wishing to be the smartest person in mainframe. the intent was to make him smarter. the result was to make everyone else dumber.