PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Class: Psionicist

LibraryOgre
2020-04-08, 03:12 PM
I haven't worked up the disciplines, yet, but here's the bones of the class. Charts are borked, so here's the GoogleDoc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O1yT5oJowLrLqeZvt38nrQ2cVrJjaL4SvCAR7jCaPRI/edit?usp=sharing) with the not-yet-completed chart and the formatting.

ETA: The link above is the current version.

V1.1 modifications:
a) Note added about what happens if a soulknife misses with an attack with their soulknife; no PSPs are spent, no penalty to the soulknife, just a missed opportunity.
b) Sciences ability changed to provide four separate levels, even as you advance; PSPs are still used (those PSPs are worked into the PSP advancement table already), but essentially reworked so Psionics can get a single 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th level slot; if you want to overcast a 1st level spell with 13 PSPs, you can do that at 17th level, but only once per day. It prevents the "Get four 9th level spell slots" problem, while enabling the use of "higher level spell slots" to "overcast" 6th-8th level spells, as well as lower spells.

Psionicist
Psionicists harness the power of their minds to achieve amazing, seemingly magical, feats. Unlike clerics and warlocks, whose power comes from powerful beings, or wizards and sorcerers, who harness external magical forces, psionicists draw from their own inner strength. The effects they create are not precisely magical, though they mimic many magical effects.
Psionicists themselves are divided into Ways, which describes their approach to those powers. A Psion takes a measured, studied approach to their powers, and is able to access powers that other psionicists cannot touch. A Wilder does the opposite; they throw their heart and soul into their Way, and are able to call upon incredible power... but at a risk to themselves. Soulknives, however, channel their power into a weapon made of psionic energy, making their powers difficult to resist, if they are able to strike with them.
Psionic powers are divided into disciplines, which characterize the powers that they can access most freely, and certain powers that only those of their discipline can access. Telepaths focus on powers that affect the minds of others, Clairsentients focus on powers of divination, and Psychic Warriors use their powers to enhance themselves for physical combat.
A psionicist’s Discipline and their Way provide access to Arts. These Arts alter the aspect of their Discipline or Wat, or providing special powers that others may not have access to.
In addition to Arts, and the powers granted by their Discipline and Ways, psionicists master powers, which are similar to spells. Unlike other casters, they are not beholden to spell slots, or even preparation. Rather, than draw upon a pool of Psionic Strength Points, creating power at the strength desired. Some powers, known as Devotions, require no PSPs whatsoever; others, known as Sciences, are so enervating that they can only be done after a long rest. In between lie the middle rank, simply known as Powers.

Class Features
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per Psionicist Level
Hit points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per psionicist level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Constitution, one other determined by Way
Skills: Choose two from among Arcana, Deception, History, Intimidation, Investigation, Nature, and Religion

Psychic Powers
Plumbing the depth and breadth of your mind has granted you certain powers, and the mental strength with which to fuel them. As you advance, you will know a certain number of Devotions, which can be used at will. Additionally, you will know a certain number of powers, which require Psionic Strength Points (PSPs) to enact. Powers require a certain number of PSPs based on their innate level; if you wish to use more powerful versions of those powers, you must expend more PSPs. Depending on your level, you have a maximum number of PSPs you may spend on any one power; you may only exceed these in very rare situations. You regain all PSPs with a long rest, and PSPs equal to your level with a short rest.

Point Cost for Power Level
1st 2
2nd 3
3rd 5
4th 6
5th 7
6th 9
7th 10
8th 11
9th 13

Powers of 6th level and above are only available with the Sciences feature,

Powers Known of 1st level and higher
At 1st level, you know two 1st level powers of your choice from the Psionicist power list.
The Powers Known column of the Psionicist table shows when you learn more psionicist powers of your choice of 1st level and higher. A power you choose must have a minimum cost that you are able to pay; your 1st level power must have a minimum cost of 2, while your power learned at 9th level may have a minimum cost of up to 7.

Manifesting Ability
Depending upon your Way, your psychic powers will key off of Intelligence (Psion), Wisdom (Soul Knife), or Charisma (Wilder), and you will use that ability whenever a power refers to your Manifesting Ability (or spellcasting ability). In addition, you use your Manifesting Ability to set the DC to save against your powers, and when making an attack roll with a power.
Power Save DC: 8 +your proficiency bonus + Manifesting Ability modifier
Power attack modifier: Your proficiency bonus + Manifesting Ability Modifier

Magic/Psionics Transparency
Psionics resemble magic in many ways, but are not the same. When psionic powers attempt to directly manipulate magic, or magic directly manipulate psionics, effects that would counter, dispel, or suppress the other always force an ability check against a DC of 10 + the level equivalent used by the psychic + the psychic's proficiency bonus, or 10 + spell slot + proficiency bonus if psionics are being used against magic.
For example, a 5th level wizard attempting to dispel the Charm Person of a 1st level psionicist would require an Intelligence test against 10 + 1 (1st level spell slot) + 2 (proficiency bonus at 1st level), despite the fact that Dispel Magic will normally automatically dispel 1st level spells. Likewise, the charmed person entering an Antimagic Field might remain charmed. A 5th level psionicist trying to use Dispel Psionics against the Charm Person spell of a 1st level Wizard would face the same test, using their own Manifesting Ability.

Way of the Psionicist
A Psionicist’s Way is how they approach the study and practice of psionics. Your Way determines your Manifesting Ability, and grants you the power below at 1st level.

Psion: A psion studies psychic powers intellectually, and with a breadth that few can match. As such, they learn three cantrips from spellcasting classes, but consider them to be psychic Devotions. These do not count against the psion’s number of devotions known. A Psion’s Manifesting Ability is Intelligence.

Soulknife: A soulknife can concentrate briefly (as a bonus action) and create a weapon of psychic power in one hand. The weapon does 1d6 + Wisdom bonus psychic damage, and may have the Light, Finesse, or Reach property for 1 PSP (each). You are proficient with this weapon, and it counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage. The weapon cannot be disarmed or thrown, and may be dismissed with a thought (no action). Instead of doing damage, soulknives can also use the weapon to deliver powers that require saving throws; as part of manifesting their power, they must make a melee attack roll with the weapon and, if they are successful, they may double their proficency bonus in calculating the save DC of that power. A Souknife’s Manifesting Ability is Wisdom.

Wilder: Wilders can draw upon an unpredictable well of inner strength as part of manifesting a power. They may, if they choose, make a Charisma check against a DC of 20 + the minimum PSPs required for the power. If successful, the power is manifested as if they Wilder spent 7 PSPs on the power. However, if the total is less than 10, the wilder is stunned until the end of their next turn. A Wilder’s Manifesting Ability is Charisma.

Psionic Arts
In your study of psionics, you have gained insight into yourself and your powers. These insights develop your powers in unforeseen ways.
At 2nd level, you gain two psionic Arts for which you qualify. These options are described at the end of the class description, before the powers list. When you gain certain psionicist levels, you gain additional Arts for which you qualify, as shown in the Arts Known column of the Psionicist table. Additionally, your Arts may change over time; when you take a psionicist level, you may replace one invocation you know and exchange it for another for which you qualify.

Discipline
At 3rd level, a psionicist chooses a focus for the development of their powers; they may be a Telepath, a Clairsentient, or a Psychic Warrior. Your choice grants you features at 3rd level, and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability above 20 using this feature.

Psionic Sciences
At 11th level, your mastery of psionic powers is so great that you can unlock true secrets. At 11th level, the psionicist may learn a single power of 6th level. At 13th level, they may learn a single 7th level power, an 8th level power at 15th, and a 9th level power at 17th.
The PSP costs of these powers are usually beyond psionicists. However, at 11th level, you gain the ability to manifest a power of up to 9 PSPs once per long rest. At 13th level, this improves to 10 PSPs twice per long rest, then 11 PSPs three times per long rest at 15th, and 13 PSPs four times per long rest at 17th level.

Mastery of Two Minds
At 20th level, you have mastered your mind in a way that few mortals can understand. They receive Advantage on all Concentration saves, and are able to Concentrate on two spells at a time. They may do this a number of times equal to the Manifesting Attribute bonus. These uses reset after a long rest.

clash
2020-04-08, 03:49 PM
I like a lot of what you have so far. I would have to see how some of the other abilities add to it as it is pretty bare bones right now. I would still make it spellcasting but that is neither here nor there. I currently read Psionic Sciences that you could potentially cast 4 9th level spells in a day. That seems far too strong. I would limit it more like the warlock where you get specifically on of each level and keep psi points away from high level psionics entirely.

D&D_Fan
2020-04-09, 09:09 AM
Mastery of Two Minds
At 20th level, you have mastered your mind in a way that few mortals can understand. They receive Advantage on all Concentration saves, and are able to Concentrate on two spells at a time. They may do this a number of times equal to the Manifesting Attribute bonus. These uses reset after a long rest.

In GGTR I thought it was cool that Niv Mizzet could concentrate on 2 spells at once, and the ability for player to do that is really cool.

LibraryOgre
2020-04-09, 10:22 AM
Updated in response to Clash's criticism, and a clarification on the Soulknife.

clash
2020-04-09, 11:03 AM
Upon closer reading on the soulknife I would not require that they concentrate to summon their soulknife. Not sure if that was intended mechanically or just ambiguous wording. Also rather than adding double your proficiency to the save, I would just have it force disadvantage on the save. Seems more standard with 5e mechanics.

LibraryOgre
2020-04-09, 12:16 PM
Upon closer reading on the soulknife I would not require that they concentrate to summon their soulknife. Not sure if that was intended mechanically or just ambiguous wording. Also rather than adding double your proficiency to the save, I would just have it force disadvantage on the save. Seems more standard with 5e mechanics.

Unfortunate wording that I'll fix next go-round. And I like the idea of changing it to disadvantage. I'll make those changes when I get a chance to dive back in.

LibraryOgre
2020-04-13, 10:28 AM
Incremental updates on the document, but Telepath Discipline below

Telepath
Expanded Spell list
1st Dissonant Whispers, Sleep
2nd Calm Emotions, Detect Thoughts
3rd Fear, Sending
4th Compulsion, Confusion
5th Modify Memory, [Rary’s] Telepathic Bond

3rd Telepath: You gain the ability to speak telepathically with other creatures you can see within 30 feet of you. You don’t need to a share language with the creatures for it to understand your telepathic communications, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language. When you manifest the Detect Thoughts power, you may use your bonus action, not merely your action, to probe deeper, for one additional 1 PSP.

6th Add your manifesting attribute to all psychic damage.For 1 PSP, your character can erect mental defenses, gaining resistance to psychic damage, and advantage on saving throws against abilities that inflict psychic damage, for one hour.

10th With great control over your mind, you are immune to the Charmed and Frightened conditions, and your mind can’t be read by telepathy unless you allow it. Furthermore, your telepathy extends to 60’, and while you must see a creature to begin telepathy, you can maintain it if they are out of sight for up to ten minutes. You may only maintain contact with one person this way

14th When attacked, the telepath reflexively defends themselves. When attacked by a creature within 60’ subject to its telepathy, you may spend 1 PSP. If the creature fails a Wisdom save, they are Blinded, Deafened, Frightened, and Stunned until the end of your next turn.

LibraryOgre
2020-04-13, 11:27 AM
Also added:

Psychic Focus
Psionicists are their own focus; they need no other tool. At all times, they are considered to be using a spellcasting focus, and do not require a free hand to do so.

clash
2020-04-13, 12:36 PM
Level 14 telepath ability is seriously problematic. 1 PsP to inflict deafened, blinded, stunned, and frightened. Doesnt cost a reaction. Doesnt have limited uses and is cheaper than a first level spell. Other than that the teleapth is looking pretty good.

LibraryOgre
2020-04-13, 12:55 PM
Level 14 telepath ability is seriously problematic. 1 PsP to inflict deafened, blinded, stunned, and frightened. Doesnt cost a reaction. Doesnt have limited uses and is cheaper than a first level spell. Other than that the teleapth is looking pretty good.

It was supposed to require their reaction; that'll get edited in. Where would you say is reasonable for PSP cost?

clash
2020-04-13, 02:16 PM
It was supposed to require their reaction; that'll get edited in. Where would you say is reasonable for PSP cost?

I would probably make it 3 psp and limit it to 1/short rest. If you want to make it unlimited I would remove some of the conditions. It seems unnecessary to pile so many on.

LibraryOgre
2020-04-13, 11:29 PM
I would probably make it 3 psp and limit it to 1/short rest. If you want to make it unlimited I would remove some of the conditions. It seems unnecessary to pile so many on.

Revised: 14th When attacked, the telepath reflexively defends themselves. When successfuly attacked by a creature within 60’ subject to your telepathy, you may spend 1 PSP and use your reaction to mentally lash their minds. If they fail a Wisdom saving throw, they take 1d4 psychic damage and must reroll the attack roll, and take the worse of the two rolls.

Basically, when attacked, they can do an instant Vicious Mockery as a reaction, for 1 PSP. Combined with the 6th level ability, they're going to do 1d4+Manifesting ability damage, and be able to force a reroll of the attack.

I just watched the episode of TMNT where the guy who used mutagen to read minds could avoid any attacks. I like the idea, and it lets them defend themselves.

clash
2020-04-14, 10:28 AM
Revised: 14th When attacked, the telepath reflexively defends themselves. When successfuly attacked by a creature within 60’ subject to your telepathy, you may spend 1 PSP and use your reaction to mentally lash their minds. If they fail a Wisdom saving throw, they take 1d4 psychic damage and must reroll the attack roll, and take the worse of the two rolls.

Basically, when attacked, they can do an instant Vicious Mockery as a reaction, for 1 PSP. Combined with the 6th level ability, they're going to do 1d4+Manifesting ability damage, and be able to force a reroll of the attack.

I just watched the episode of TMNT where the guy who used mutagen to read minds could avoid any attacks. I like the idea, and it lets them defend themselves.
That seems much more manageable if you want to keep the cost at 1 psp and have it basically be spamable

Maat Mons
2020-04-17, 07:05 PM
I think that 15 powers known at 20th level is far, far too few. I know you're just following sorcerer and warlock, but I think you should view this as an opportunity to correct a terrible design decision.

Caster who prepare spells get 25 spells at 20th level. They also get the huge advantage of being able to change all of them every day. Casters who know spell have no such flexibility. They're locked into those choices on a day-to-day basis. Heck, they can barely adjust their spells know from level-to-level.

Since casters who know spells have this major handicap relative to casters who prepare spells, they really need some kind of advantage to make up for it. But they have no such advantage. Instead, they have another disadvantage, they get fewer spells. It should be the opposite. They should get more spells to make up for the fact that they can't change them.

But WotC decided to make bard, sorcerer, and warlock casting worse than cleric, druid, and wizard casting in every department in which there's a difference. That's not game balance. Balance is being worse in one way to be better in another way. So where's the way in which casters who know spells are better?

Well then, one should be created. And more spells known is the only obvious candidate.

Your class also inherits another terrible design decision from sorcerer. People need to look at a table to know how many points are required for a spell/power of any given level. Why would you chose numbers that make things more complicated than they have to be?

Regardless of what numbers you pick for power point costs, you can pick numbers for power points per day to ensure it remains balanced. So why not pick numbers that streamline the process?