PDA

View Full Version : Poison gas alchemy lab puzzle

Monstrrr
2020-04-08, 06:16 PM
The players enter the room, and the door locks shut behind them with a thud. Then a hissing noise as the room fills with poison gas. In the center of the room is a grid of pressure plates. It takes about 200lbs to depress a plate.

If the correct three (maybe more) are depressed, the rest of the pressure plates depres themselves (so that the floor is level), the hissing stops, and a vent opens in the ceiling, letting the poison gas out. As soon as one of those correct plates is let up, the opening closes and the hissing starts again. There are heavy weights above that can be shot down, then pushed into place by a strong character.

It takes two minutes for the room to fill with gas, during which time they take increasing amounts of damage every 30 seconds. Once the room is filled, they take x damage every minute.

I'm thinking of having them roll like 10 Con saves first so they can focus on the puzzle and I can take if they failed or saved into account when they take the damage.

Thoughts on how much damage they should take how often? I was going to use a real life timer. I have 7 level 7 characters.

I'm thinking maybe... 1 minute from door locking 1d4 poison damage, 1 minute later 1d6, 1 minute later 2d4, 1 minute later, 1d10, then 3d4 every minute after. But I'm afraid of that being too lethal.

Democratus
2020-04-09, 01:34 PM
Are there clues that let them know how to solve the problem?

Puzzles with clues or hits are the most satisfying for players.

Otherwise you may as well just roll on the "wandering damage table". :smallsmile:

JNAProductions
2020-04-09, 10:49 PM
Why was this room built? Who made it?