PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter Lycan + Monk??? (dip 1 level or switch)

Drache64
2020-04-08, 06:21 PM
Need advice for a solo campaign. My older brother is running me through a campaign, and I tried out the Blood Hunter, specifically the Order of the Lycan. I built a character who is a wood elf that is kind of the black panther of his tribe. The symbol of his people is the Dread Wolf, and starting at level 3 he becomes the dread wolf.

The problem: This is a solo campaign, and running such a squishy character isn't great when you have no team members backing you up. I am thinking of multiclassing into a Way of the Long Death Monk starting at level 4. Here are my stats and what I am looking at:

Wood Elf Blood Hunter order of the Lycan:
STR: 12
DEX: 20
CON: 16
INT: 14
WIS: 18
CHA: 14

Fighting Style:
Abusing Mask of the Wild to hide almost anywhere, using archery fighting style mixed with long bow to pick off single enemies Splinter Cell style. (Solo campaign I can take as long as I want). Then the plan is to Hulk out when enemies get too close going werewolf mode.

1 dip in monk will give me: AC 19 not as a wolf, and 20 AC in lycan form, Unarmed strikes are 1d6+5(+1d4 with rite dmg) and resistance to nonsilvered weapons. and I will gain 1 extra attack as a bonus action (Martial Arts)

Should I just take 1 dip into Monk, or switch monk to my main class (Way of long death) and just keep the Lycan flavor?

Evaar
2020-04-08, 07:10 PM
Have you and your brother considered making this a gestalt campaign? This seems like a good fit for it.

Drache64
2020-04-08, 07:24 PM
Have you and your brother considered making this a gestalt campaign? This seems like a good fit for it.

I am not sure what that is

ProsecutorGodot
2020-04-08, 07:39 PM
I am not sure what that is

Gestalt is a system that allows a character to simultaneous level in multiple classes. For example, a level 3 Gestalt Character could be a Monk 3/ Blood Hunter 3. Any overlapping aspects of leveling you take the best of the two.

RSP
2020-04-09, 09:04 AM
I ran a LD/Lycan awhile back and I preferred taking Monk as my primary class (unarmed strikes will gain damage dice and you’ll have more Ki, plus gain more tHPs on kills).

Though, this was a much earlier version of the BH, so I’m not sure what new edits would do to that build.

Misterwhisper
2020-04-09, 02:01 PM
If you are using the wis based bloodhunter maybe, if using the int based updated one I wouldn’t bother.

I would just soloclass it.

It just seems too close to being a ranger to me.

MagneticKitty
2020-04-10, 02:24 PM
See recent ua with path of the beast barbarian. I think it's built so much better than blood hunter
You get natural weapons that later count as magical, as well as transformation like abilities.