PDA

View Full Version : Original System Spells With a Seasonal Theme

Phoenixguard09
2020-04-08, 07:18 PM
Hello everyone,

I'll keep it brief here, but I'll go into more detail with the background behind my request if there's interest.

In my system, spirit magic is normally the result of a negotiation of sorts between the caster and the sidhe, or spirits. These spirits come in many forms, and in many 'levels' of power, from residual little wisps, which are little more than scraps of spiritual power floating on an aethyric wind, through to mighty fey lords with real sapience and insane power, ruling over courts of similarly sentient spirits in the wildest places of the world.

There is a hell of a lot more I could go into regarding this, but I'm not sure if it is exactly necessary for what I'm asking.

The Shaman class has been a little troublesome for us for a while, in essence feeling like we took the Druid and just stripped away the shapeshifting, leaving the Shaman no more than a restricted Druid. We've considered a few things, but the solution we've come up with is to play into the Shaman having a considerably more advanced understanding and concept of how the spirits work than the Druid, which would understand them through the medium of the flora and fauna, the living organisms within the environment the Druid is in.

The Shaman on the other hand would be able to perceive the sidhe in their actual form, and interact with them in the knowledge and understanding of the sidhe as extraplanar beings. A major way in which we intend to represent this is to add a class feature to the Shaman to allow them form a Pact with a fey court of a particular season.

This is where the request comes in. We are looking for spells or abilities or simply things which a character could use with a link to the four seasons of the world. (Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring)

Now understandably, these four seasons are different for different cultures in our world, and we would represent that in the game as well. Summer in northern Australia, where I live now is hot and wet, often with severe thunderstorms, whereas where I am from, in southern Australia, the summers are often even hotter, but very dry. Obviously other countries will vary wildly as well.

So I guess my request is to put down any spells, abilities (magical or no) or whatever, that you can think of which would evoke a feeling or theme of the different seasons. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lvl45DM!
2020-04-08, 08:56 PM
Im going to ignore the more obvious elemental effects. Fire for summer, wind for autumn ice for winter and plants for spring.

Spring is a time of renewal, and growth, a time of beauty and verdant lushness.
Enchantment and conjuration spells for spring.

Summer is a time of high energy, feeding frenzies, storms.
Evocation for summer.

Autumn is the time of change
Illusion and Transmutation.

Winter is the season of hibernation, starvation and death.
Abjuration and Necromancy.

Divination is year round.

Breccia
2020-04-13, 09:31 AM
We are looking for spells or abilities or simply things which a character could use with a link to the four seasons of the world. (Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring)

When I did this with druids a few years back, I did the following:
Spring = healing
Summer = enhancing
Autumn = blasting
Winter = protection

The land endures winter, recovers in spring, grows in summer and dies in autumn. There was also a sub-section of evil druids called "the Harvesters" who...I'm getting off-topic.

Incidentally what I also did was have "the circle" (this was a while ago, it wasn't 5E) spells rotate by season. You always had access to that season's spells, in addition to your normal ones, like a cleric always had healing spells. It must have gone at least a little right, because the PCs collectively decided to hold off on one major quest for five days until an equinox.