PDA

View Full Version : Build Help: Wants to be the best swordsman EVER, thinks immortality will do it

togapika
2020-04-08, 11:18 PM
So I want to make a single sword user in the style of a fencer, who wants to be the best swordsman ever, period. I don't envision him as a spellcaster, but I can see him coming up with the idea that the only true way for him to become better than all those who have come before him would be to have as much time to accomplish this goal as necessary i.e. becoming ageless.

Now I know the rogue class has the swashbuckler subclass it can utilize, but I'm wondering if there's not something that would work a little better. I see him as being able to do decent in team fights, but be especially deadly in 1v1's.

As for the immortality, I could just make him a Warforged or go some form of spellcaster to try and become a lich or something, but I prefer the idea of a guy who doesn't rely on magic. I'd like to find something that won't make him super creepy/take a big Cha hit, but I'm willing to look at whatever suggestions people may have.

clash
2020-04-08, 11:21 PM
This has kensei monk written all over it. The free hand is great for unarmed strikes. The unarmored defense fits the theme great and they get timeless body at level 15. It's not immortality but it's the next best thing

BarneyBent
2020-04-08, 11:22 PM
Swords Bard. Inspired by songs of both majestic feats with the blade, and heroes (and villains) who attained immortality, they are out to forge their own heroic tale and sing their way into immortality.

Magical Secrets will unlock paths to functional immortality (e.g. Clone, Wish, etc).

Also two levels of Paladin improves melee capability and grants a fighting style, and you still get your 18th level Magical Secrets (albeit at 20th level).

NecessaryWeevil
2020-04-08, 11:25 PM
"Become Immortal" sounds like a great motivation for adventure to me. Find a magic doodad or impress a god (and get into lots of trouble in the meantime).

Man_Over_Game
2020-04-08, 11:35 PM
I'd go with Battlemaster Fighter. It's more focused than the Swashbuckler into combat, which is exactly what this guy would be like. Additionally, you'd have all the cool Maneuvers you'd expect in a master swordsman.

A Swashbuckler does two things: slash, and run away. Master swordsman indeed.

Misterwhisper
2020-04-08, 11:39 PM
Fighter Battlemaster.

Use your scabbard in your off hand as a “shield”.

You have special maneuvers with whatever weapon you specialize in.

If UA is an option some of the fighting styles or maneuvers in the alternate class features section are pretty nice.

Precision strike is by far a first pick, also tripping strike is good too once you get a second attack.

Rogues fit the bill early but really drop off later, but if you took two levels later for cunning action might be fine.

Kensei monk is horrible for what you are looking for, on top of that they just suck in general.

nickl_2000
2020-04-09, 07:22 AM
This has kensei monk written all over it. The free hand is great for unarmed strikes. The unarmored defense fits the theme great and they get timeless body at level 15. It's not immortality but it's the next best thing

I've got to second this. Any other class using a single one handed sword without a shield will be at a significant disadvantage (except Swashbuckler, which is nixed in the OP)

Quietus
2020-04-09, 07:59 AM
I'm second the thought that you should focus the mechanics of the build on the "best swordsman" part, while narratively working toward a plot reward granting immortality. That gives your DM something to hook into.

RSP
2020-04-09, 08:16 AM
I'm second the thought that you should focus the mechanics of the build on the "best swordsman" part, while narratively working toward a plot reward granting immortality. That gives your DM something to hook into.

Battlemaster Fighter for sure, at least to 5 for maneuvers and extra attack. Then go Rogue (if going three levels, I’d go either Swashbuckler or Inquisitive, depending on if you feel the character is better just 1-on-1 (Swash), or if they’re able to “size up” their targets (Inquisitive)). The SA damage is the character’s precision with their blade, hitting the weaker spots on their enemies.

Depending on if you prefer the Fighter Extra Attacks or the added SA damage, progress the rest of the way with some split between Fighter and Rogue.

Bobthewizard
2020-04-09, 10:22 AM
Battlemaster Fighter for sure, at least to 5 for maneuvers and extra attack. Then go Rogue (if going three levels, I’d go either Swashbuckler or Inquisitive, depending on if you feel the character is better just 1-on-1 (Swash), or if they’re able to “size up” their targets (Inquisitive)). The SA damage is the character’s precision with their blade, hitting the weaker spots on their enemies.

Depending on if you prefer the Fighter Extra Attacks or the added SA damage, progress the rest of the way with some split between Fighter and Rogue.

I like this one. I'd go Battlemaster 5 then Swashbuckler X. Extra attack from Fighter then Riposte and Sentinel for a chance at a second sneak attack each round. Trip and Disarm also would be great here.

RingoBongo
2020-04-09, 10:32 AM
Strength rogue Goliath or half orc (both races have a feature with some immortal flair)... Swashbuckler X / fighter 5 (for extra attack. Samurai has a good immortal flair)

Take grappler feat and your off hand becomes a tool for grappling with one of your attacks. Then you have advantage on your next attack (sneak attack).

Expertise athletics obviously.

Wear heavy armor because. Take HAM.

Take magic initiate (warlock) for hex - to further enhance grapple and add 1d6 to all attacks for an hour or so. (Or just take warlock up to 5 for thirsting blade & you get more hexes and other warlock goodies)

If you take samurai up to 7 you get Wis saves. Then take resilient dex (if you started out lvl 1 fighter) and you will have proficiency in 4 saves (str, dex, con, Wis) that's pretty darn close to immortal.

Sentinel is awesome for getting in more sneak attacks per round. (Battlemaster - riposte does this idea well too)

Or take theif rogue instead and add a bonus action use of fast hands to disarm your grappled target. (Take expertise in slight of hand as well) But of course you lose the swashbuckler's sneak attack range by doing this... But still very viable.

loki_ragnarock
2020-04-09, 01:09 PM
Play a Zealot Barbarian with a modest fluffing.

Generally difficult to kill with swords, giving you an advantage in one on one duels with other swordsmen. You do a little extra damage when you swing in your battle trance. You aren't a proponent of every particular school, but no one can deny your kung-fu genius.

Whenever someone actually manages to kill you, you can be brought back from the dead basically for free.

So flavor it as them starting to cast the spell. Then you sit up and yawn, stretching out your arms and saying it was a good nap.

"But... but I just brought you back from the dead!"
"Nah, I'm just a very sound sleeper, but who could sleep through that racket? Look, the diamond's still there and everything. Would that still be there if you 'brought me back from the dead?'"
"I mean, normally no. But..."
"Then I think we all know what happened here."

Boom. Immortal swordsman who is difficult to kill.

CTurbo
2020-04-09, 03:19 PM
Warforged Battlemaster 11(either Skirmisher or Envoy) You can start 9 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 14 Wis, 14 Cha with Skirmisher or 12 Wis and 16 Cha with Envoy. Dueling style of course.

You'll have 7 maneuvers and five d10 superiority dice to use every short rest. Just pick the 7 most combat focuses ones you like. Riposte is best though of course.

You have Dex maxed at level 6, take the Blade Mastery feat at level 8

From there, you could stay Fighter, but I'd probably multiclass into something that gives you more features.

Swashbuckler is probably the easiest most obvious choice. You could go all the way to Rogue 9 or break off at 3, 5, or 7. The base Rogue class has a lot to offer on it's own.

You could be a spell-less Paladin(just smite away your spell slots). Devotion or Vengeance would be great. Yes Paladin 5 would be a dead level, but Paladin 6 would be worth it for the Aura of Protection.

Swords Bard would be a great choice. You could choose all out of combat utility spells if you want(I know you said you didn't see him as a spellcaster), but base Bard features are all great and Swords basically adds more maneuvers. You'd want at least 5 levels and probably a bit more Cha investment for the short rest d8 Inspiration Dice.

After Dex is maxed, I'd want Blade Mastery for sure, and I would want Defensive Duelist eventually too. Here are a couple options to consider, but you'll probably only have room for one more.
1. Mobile
2. +2 Cha
3. Lucky
4. Res(Wis)
5. Sentinel

If you flat out want to avoid spellcasting, just go Battlemaster 11/Swashbuckler 9

I think BM 12/Swords Bard 5/Devotion or Vengeance Paladin 3 would be great. That's a lot of slots for smiting. Never cast a spell. Get's you 3 fighting styles.

EDIT: Oh you'd have a lot of competing bonus and reaction features. I don't see this as a bad thing. I'd use Riposte if the attack misses, Defensive Duelist if that attack hit and would cause it to miss, or Parry if the attack hits and Defensive Duelist wouldn't cause a miss.

Evaar
2020-04-09, 03:59 PM
On the topic of using a shield or not, talk to your DM because you can probably substitute something in place of a shield to accomplish the look you want without disadvantaging yourself mechanically.

The important things are that the item occupies your hand, isn't a weapon, and doesn't otherwise allow you to cheese action economy (so you couldn't just claim it's a stance you use with one hand empty, because you could just shift out of the stance and shift back into it easily, as opposed to all the trouble a shield user would go through dropping their shield and picking it back up).

For instance, a parrying dagger. Describe it as too blunt to be of much use as a weapon (i.e. it counts as an improvised weapon, just like a shield would be). https://images.app.goo.gl/kMjwohirB5tgf6ns9

Or a very heavy gauntlet that isn't flexible, sort of like Lion-O's claw shield from Thundercats. https://images.app.goo.gl/1ZUFXKpaSwhsWWWk8

Or keep in mind that shields come in all shapes and sizes, but function mechanically the same in 5e. So you could use something like what Captain America used in Wakada in Infinity War. https://images.app.goo.gl/PQ8PyAoCCvec1EPE9

Lots of ways to reimagine shields if the idea of carrying a large bulky piece of metal doesn't fit the image of what you want for a "master swordsman."

JNAProductions
2020-04-09, 04:22 PM
Warforged Battlemaster 11(either Skirmisher or Envoy) You can start 9 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 14 Wis, 14 Cha with Skirmisher or 12 Wis and 16 Cha with Envoy. Dueling style of course.

War forged don’t have subraces.

CTurbo
2020-04-09, 04:51 PM
War forged don’t have subraces.

They do depending on what sources are allowed.

togapika
2020-04-09, 08:32 PM
Or keep in mind that shields come in all shapes and sizes, but function mechanically the same in 5e.

Yeah, might opt for a "buckler"

Talionis
2020-04-09, 10:10 PM
17 Thief/3 Gloomstalker. Your Sneak Attack is high. Ranger provides Dueling extra Damage. Gloomstalker adds to initiative and gives lots of attacks. You are stacking lots of attacks in your first round of combat since Thief gets and extra First round in combat At 17.

I know you like Swashbuckler but Thief gets Use Magic Device at 13. Which says you can find a way to cast Clone and be immortal.

The tiny amount of Ranger casting is easily fluffed as skill. Hunters Mark doesn’t really have to be magical.