PDA

View Full Version : Spell Recs for a unique Bladesinger?

jaappleton
2020-04-09, 07:43 AM
DM is a bit liberal with things, which our particular group enjoys.

We are allowed to start with a free bonus Feat. Give more unique-ness to our characters. (So VHumans start with 2)

In lieu of taking one of those feats, my VHuman Bladesinger has taken a Fighting Style. TWF. And my Feat was Dual Wielder. DM has signed off on this.

And I plan on really leaning in to the actual fighting part of the Bladesinger. I understand that many times when someone takes Bladesinger, they take it more for the defensive boost than the actual ability to wade into melee combat.

Our group has a Blaster already (Lightning Dragon Sorc), and I’m more the ‘utility’ caster. But when combat does arise, I’m leaving the blasting to them and running in to cut down what the Paladin is tanking.

All UA spells are available.

So far my favorite pick has been Spirit Shroud, which prevents healing and deals +1d8 Necro or Radiant per attack.

But I’m open to every suggestion possible.

RSP
2020-04-09, 07:51 AM
DM is a bit liberal with things, which our particular group enjoys...

...So far my favorite pick has been Spirit Shroud, which prevents healing and deals +1d8 Necro or Radiant per attack.

But I’m open to every suggestion possible.

Your best bet, due to only a select few spells being useful for melee, is going Shadow Blade for offense (upcasting for big battles), and seeing if your DM will allow Spell Point Variant to maximize the use of SB, Shield, AE, etc.

SB, I think, will outdo Spirit Shroud at least for any non-regenerating enemy. It already does a +1d8 (more when upcasting) in its base 2d8 weapon damage, is a BA casting, and gets Advantage in Dim Light or Darkness.

Quietus
2020-04-09, 07:56 AM
You're going to need to pick up war caster asap, you can't cast spells with somatic or material spells with your hands full.

If your DM is also gracious enough to give you a ruby of the war mage, that can take care of anything with M or MS components, but not just S.

Eldariel
2020-04-09, 08:08 AM
The obvious ones:
Mirror Image
Pyrotechnics (particularly if you take Alert)
Shield
Absorb Elements
Shadow Blade
Haste
Tenser's Transformation

All of those are very good and especially the first four excel by virtue of not having Concentration. Of course you could Glyph of Warding yourself around that limitation at 200gp each. Then all the non-Concentration images are obviously really nice and Steel Wind Strike is something a BS is uniquely setup to take advantage of as it allows for both, decent damage and repositioning (though at the very significant cost of a 5th level slot).

jaappleton
2020-04-09, 08:44 AM
You're going to need to pick up war caster asap, you can't cast spells with somatic or material spells with your hands full.

If your DM is also gracious enough to give you a ruby of the war mage, that can take care of anything with M or MS components, but not just S.

Warcaster is coming at 4th level.

I rolled some pretty darn good stats, so I doubt my DEX or INT will be getting a bump until 8th level. I managed to roll two 17s and they’re both now at 18 after the VHuman stat boost.

RSP
2020-04-09, 08:59 AM
The obvious ones:
Mirror Image
Pyrotechnics (particularly if you take Alert)
Shield
Absorb Elements
Shadow Blade
Haste
Tenser's Transformation

Quick note: MI is less valuable on a BS, as the BS tends to have great AC, at least with Bladesong active. So you end up with attacks made against the MI, that destroy them; that wouldn’t have hit the BS anyway, due to the disparity in ACs between the illusions and the BS. And since it costs an Action, it’s using an Action for little, if any, change in outcome.

Attacking with that Action, or casting a Cantrip and casting SB, usually has better effect. Also, that 2nd level spell used on MI is one less SB throughout the day, which is the melee BS’s offense, though this matters less at higher levels (particularly if doing Spell Points).

MI works better when not using Bladesong, but that’s probably when the BS should be out of melee anyway.

GorogIrongut
2020-04-09, 09:41 AM
Once you get 4th level spells, assume that your concentration will be focused on Greater Invisibility. Because, the ability to attack while invisible gives SO many combat advantages (Adv to you and Disadv to any would be attackers. Plus if you're clever, you can set up OA's).
Combine that with BB and you can taunt and torture your opponents.