View Full Version : A Quiet Place Part I and II

shtorm_88
2020-04-09, 08:44 AM
Just wondering is it worth seeing or not?
Any thoughts

understatement
2020-04-09, 11:37 PM
Can't speak for the second one 'cause of a certain pandemic.

As for the first one...it's a decent flick. I can't recall everything but the scares itself were pretty solid and didn't rely on arbitrary jumpscares. Solid cast too. If you're expecting heavy gore or violence, you won't find much in the film.

(IMO, I guess I'd say it's better than the Conjuring, the Babadook, but not as good as It Follows or Hereditary. I haven't watched much horror recently.)

Caledonian
2020-04-12, 03:32 PM
I vote 'not'. It was an intriguing premise, with good acting, and some nice cinematography... but then it turns out that none of that means a thing if the script is sufficiently stupid.

I still can't quite believe that the thing was ever greenlighted with so little thought going into the resolution.

Shame about every other part of the film. I'd gladly watch the actors in other projects. But I want my time and money back.

Wookieetank
2020-04-13, 10:18 AM
I vote 'not'. It was an intriguing premise, with good acting, and some nice cinematography... but then it turns out that none of that means a thing if the script is sufficiently stupid.

I still can't quite believe that the thing was ever greenlighted with so little thought going into the resolution.

Shame about every other part of the film. I'd gladly watch the actors in other projects. But I want my time and money back.

The usage of sound was also done well, when something was noisy you knew it was Bad News, even if it was something as mundane as a floor creaking.

The resolution was rather lack luster though, and kinda threw a wrench into the believableness of the whole premise sadly.

Dienekes
2020-04-13, 01:04 PM
Just going to discuss the first movie, like everyone else seems to be.

The cinematography, acting, sound editing, and characterization was top notch.The core of the story between the parents and children was a very strong emotional core. The horror aspects were done quite well and allowed for a lot of interesting ideas on how this family would live to deal with the aliens.

The problem was that there were essentially two stories, the character arc about the family, and the horror arc of the monsters. Through most the movie these two stories work together real well.

Unfortunately at the very end they have two separate climaxes. The one with the father and the children was brilliant, poignant, and well done. Then the movie lasted another 15 minutes as they resolved the monster story, and that was a bit of a let down. Probably because they felt they needed to actually solve the issue with the monsters, rather than just having the characters survive.

LaZodiac
2020-04-13, 03:11 PM
I'll second all the "first movie was real strong but had some faltering issues" which honestly makes sense to me since it was I think that director's first movie ever? So, "an incredibly excellent horror movie that ends kinda rough" is a pretty good first go of things.

I see absolutely not one single point in making a sequel, and thanks to plague time no one will ever see it.

Talar
2020-04-29, 07:26 PM
First movie is summed up by some good ideas with some sketchy execution at times continually hampered by lazy to bad writing I feel. I went to see the first one in theaters with my sister and to entertain ourselves we started making the movie to be the post apocalypse version of the Office cause they are obviously on Schrute Farms.

Dire_Flumph
2020-04-29, 08:22 PM
Emily Blunt is always worth watching, and it's a well crafted thriller. For me though, I could never get past how the setting made no sense whatsoever, and I kept getting distracted by thoughts of "Why don't they just..."

We all have our thresholds for that. Sometimes stuff like this bugs me, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't seem like the illogic of the setting would bother you, then go for it.

Wookieetank
2020-05-01, 01:50 PM
We all have our thresholds for that. Sometimes stuff like this bugs me, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't seem like the illogic of the setting would bother you, then go for it.

I find that the less serious something takes itself, the more forgiving I am on the logic side of things. But if you're trying to sell me something as being Serious Business and then having nonsense/illogical bits, then you're not going to be taken seriously by me at least.

Semi-related, not everything needs to have an explanation in a horror movie. Much as I didn't care a lot for Bird Box, I did appreciate that there wasn't a surprise easy solution at the end and the creatures remained mysterious as an out of context problem. Even most Zombie movies don't even bother with a why there are zombies, what they are is much more of a threat than why they are.