PDA

View Full Version : How many jumps per round?

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-04-09, 08:36 PM
This one has never really been questioned, but is there a limit to how many long or high jumps per round a character can make? Is it pretty much limited to their movement ability? Do you all allow players to dash and jump more? How about Action Surge jumping?

Zhorn
2020-04-09, 09:19 PM
Is it pretty much limited to their movement ability?

Yeah, jumping isn't an action, just a form of movement. So long as they have remaining movement in a turn, that can be dedicated to as many jumps as they can fit in.

The fun part is working our how your DM rules the progress of a jump that is intended to travel further than your remaining movement.

I treat it as locking in the direction and remaining length of a jump to continue onto the next turn's movement, so that a play that does a longjump towards the end of their movement isn't suddenly gimped into only being able to jump 5 feet and immediately falling to the ground, but prevents them from exploiting some allowance for extra free distance in a turn (ie: turns are a snapshot in time, moving players are not considered 'stopped' between turns).
I've had other DMs insist on treating movement as discrete measurements, where you become stationary at the end of each turn (ie: if you're in the air without a fly speed or hover you'll immediately fall).

This is very much in the reals of 'ask your DM' as by RAW i don't think there's a defined answer.

Another part building on from that is the effect of jump distance multipliers and the limit of movement speed. either treating a multiplier in the opposite way to difficult terrain (eg: while under the effects of the Jump spell, you consume 1 foot of movement for every 3 feet travelled when jumping), or having a resultant characterwith an insane jump distance end up airbourne for multiple rounds completing one jump far greater than their movement speed, OR end up with a multiplier being completely useless if your DM rules you are at a stop between turns.

Misterwhisper
2020-04-09, 09:30 PM
Jumping is just part of your movement it doesn’t really matter how many times you jump, the issues are:

Say it is many rather short jumps, like the distance is not an issue but the skill of them is rather high.

Think running across the top of plum blossom poles, or the beginning of ninja warrior.

How many checks would it be?
One per little jump?
One per jump covers, whatever distance it does but number doesn’t matter?
One jump check for the round?
Just normal athletics because distance isn’t the issue?
Acrobatics in instead of athletics?

JackPhoenix
2020-04-09, 09:34 PM
Jumping is just part of your movement it doesn’t really matter how many times you jump, the issues are:

Say it is many rather short jumps, like the distance is not an issue but the skill of them is rather high.

Think running across the top of plum blossom poles, or the beginning of ninja warrior.

How many checks would it be?
One per little jump?
One per jump covers, whatever distance it does but number doesn’t matter?
One jump check for the round?
Just normal athletics because distance isn’t the issue?
Acrobatics in instead of athletics?

Acrobatics, because it's the matter of balance, not the distance jumped. You don't need to make Athletics checks to jump (assuming you're jumping less than your Str score or Str/2) in the first place.

And it would be one check, because anything more is annoying, and stacks the odds against the player. If I wanted them to fail, I would say they fail, and not force them to make 10 pointless checks, waiting until they finally fail one.

Zalabim
2020-04-10, 05:51 AM
Jumping is part of your movement. You can't jump farther than you move. If your jump lands you in difficult terrain, you make an acrobatics check (DC 10) to keep your footing, otherwise you fall prone at the end of the jump. For something with many little hops like the pole run the suggestion is to make one check at higher DC, rather than one DC 10 check for every 'step.'

Also, consider what the check is for, mechanically. There could be a pass where movement is at full speed, a fail that makes it take twice as much movement, and a worse fail where the character has to hang on to a pole or fall to the ground.

Segev
2020-04-10, 08:15 AM
Off the top of my head, and acknowledging that the lack of game-provided DC guidance means I could be way off here, I’d probably have a fantasy-standard pillar-filled pit be DC 10 Acrobatics or you fall off if you move half speed, and DC 20 of you move full speed, with auto-failure if you can’t make the five-foot jumps.

Add 5 to the DCs for really narrow poles, like bamboo.