PDA

View Full Version : What If The Super Mario Bros. Enter The World Of Dungeons & Dragons

Bartmanhomer
2020-04-09, 09:42 PM
Imagine if Mario & Luigi enter the world of Dungeons & Dragons. They'll be dealing a lot of stuff like dwarves, elves, orcs and of course dragons. Mama Mia that's a spicy meatball. Well, I'm not sure they could use their powers in their world but anything is possible. Let's have a discussion on this topic, shall we? :amused:

JNAProductions
2020-04-09, 11:43 PM
Which world?
There's Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, Dark Sun...

Which Mario Bros?
Can he spin? Does he have F.L.U.D.D.? Do fire flowers last until he gets hit, or is it a timed powerup? Are we taking from the Mario RPGs? What about Paper Mario?

Bartmanhomer
2020-04-09, 11:45 PM
Which world?
There's Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, Dark Sun...

Which Mario Bros?
Can he spin? Does he have F.L.U.D.D.? Do fire flowers last until he gets hit, or is it a timed powerup? Are we taking from the Mario RPGs? What about Paper Mario?

Greyhawk and Paper Mario. :smile:

DarthArminius
2020-04-10, 02:14 PM
Maybe Bowser would be a draconic deity.

Dragonus45
2020-04-10, 04:04 PM
I'm not picturing Mario grappling a dragon by the tail and swinging them around their cave.

Bartmanhomer
2020-04-10, 05:47 PM

Well, Bowser can convince the other chromatic dragons to join forces to defeat Mario and Luigi. He could team up with Tiamat since Bowser is Lawful Evil. :wink:

Hagashager
2020-04-13, 02:19 PM
Wow...what a great use of my time...

I'm going to assume it would be Paper Mario as that iteration is the most mechanically parallel to DnD. Assuming such, the Mushroom Kingdom could easily serve as a Spelljammer planetoid, with Bowser acting as its Evil-Aligned Draconic diety. I'm sure Bowser would get a big kick out of allying with the Beholders and Aboleths.

Peach's Castle is already proven to possess flying magic so it's ready to go as its own Spelljammer.

This reminds me of a one-off easter egg joke I did in 2e a few years back where my players found Cappy from Mario Odyssey. In my setting's fiction Cappy is actually the soul of a Mind Flayer trapped in a blue-collar worker's cap eons ago. When the party wizard asked cappy about his previous owner he says,

"My last user was this fat planeswalker with ungodly leaping magic. He was criminally insane, which made it impossible for me to control him him, biut he had sentience enough to force me to cajole his enemies. Never have I felt so...used..."

Spore
2020-04-13, 02:39 PM

Bowser is known as the Demon King, so I assume he would be a Balor/Pit Fiend at the VERY least, more like an Archdevil (I always assume he is a devil in FR mythology, because he has armies and is not really associated with any sin in particular).

Mario would be an archetypical hero, from rags to riches kinda situation. Personally I feel rogue/sorcerer/arcane trickster would fit best as he constantly abuses weak spots, is not a great magic user, but no foreigner to magical artifacts either. Mario is not a particularly good beastmaster, so Yoshi would be a sentient party member rather than a mount or animal companion. His brother Luigi is similar, but a lot more blunt in his approach. A meek fighter/cleric, he constitutes the supporting role rather well.

Lizard Lord
2020-04-13, 03:23 PM
Here is a playlist o 5Ef builds for Super Smash Bros. characters including Mario, Luigi, and Bowser: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtsZtQuHu0PGPw5P-sWWhtJSEFbGBsgsK

Granted Tulak the Barbarian builds all of his characters to level 20 even if the source character isn't that powerful because no one is going to level up their character to a certain point and then tell the DM they don't want to level up anymore.

PopeLinus1
2020-04-16, 03:22 AM
If they're in one of my campaigns, then I suspect it has something to do with the mushrooms.