PDA

View Full Version : 18 in everything build

kbob
2020-04-09, 11:37 PM
Just a curiosity question. This is strictly theory crafting. If you miraculously rolled up a char with 18 in all abilities, what would you build and why? Use only official WotC, Forgotten Realms compatible (mainly because I don't know the other worlds very well) material. Build for up to 10, 16, and/or 20. Just really interested in what would be the best god-like character when MAD is not an issue.

Misterwhisper
2020-04-09, 11:51 PM
Easy:

Aereni Wood Elf Monk: any subclass would be fine, but probably Drunken Master.
Racial perception and expertise in athletics.

At 4 take observant to max wis and be amazing at perception.

A monk who can actually take some nice feats like: Sentinel, Mobile unless I go drunken master, Max out Con too just to be safe.

MaxWilson
2020-04-09, 11:54 PM
Probably a Yuan-ti shadow monklock (Shadow Monk X/Hexblade 2) because they are fun but very MAD, hard to roll up. Proficiency in every save plus advantage against magical saves plus rerolls on failure, Spell Sniper and Mobile as feats to cover near and far combat, max Dex and Wis because why not?

You can be the party scout, sniper, and also a tank. Decent nova damage option on your multiple attacks from Hexblade's Curse, a couple of emergency Shields per short rest, Expeditious Retreat for even more mobility, Hex for shenanigans in and out of combat (e.g. disadvantage on Wisdom checks before challenging to single combat).

It wouldn't be unusually *powerful* compared other PCs but it's an opportunity I wouldn't want to pass up. You'd have lots of interesting choices to make every adventure.

Barb 1/Bladesinger X is also rare but wouldn't be as much fun for me.

Ignimortis
2020-04-09, 11:58 PM
Easy:

Aereni Wood Elf Monk: any subclass would be fine, but probably Drunken Master.
Racial perception and expertise in athletics.

At 4 take observant to max wis and be amazing at perception.

A monk who can actually take some nice feats like: Sentinel, Mobile unless I go drunken master, Max out Con too just to be safe.

I actually had a monk with 20 WIS, Observant and expertise in Perception. At some point the DM just gave up and marked everything interesting (traps, secret doors, invisible enemies) on the map in my line of sight.

OldTrees1
2020-04-10, 12:15 AM
Half Elf Knowledge Cleric 4 / Lore Bard 4 / Arcane Trickster Rogue 12 (Not in that order)
Order is probably a rush to Rogue 11 and Bard 2. So Rog1/Brd2/Clr1/Rog+10/Brd+2/Rog+1/Clr+3
Use ASIs to increase stats to 20. Finally take the Prodigy feat from Xanathar's.

When there is a check you are rolling
1d20 (minimum 10) + 5 + Half / Normal / Double proficiency + Guidance when appropriate.

Maybe look for a Luckstone?

Focus on non combat based roleplay. What do you want to do with your reliable nigh impossible talents? Also start to ask what a DC40 check would bring.

Lyracian
2020-04-10, 05:01 AM
Well aI always wanted a double 18 to play a Wood Elf Monk so that would be on my short list. There are some excellent Paladin builds with lots of Feats that would work well.

DrKerosene
2020-04-10, 06:46 AM
I would probably offer a bet/dare to the other Players for their suggestion about what I should play, so I would expect a Monk.

If no one takes me up, I would either probably fill in for a role that is most missing in that group (assuming some sort of official module or a clear theme/arc), or maybe just a variant of Abserd (multiclass into every class build) just to see how far such a shallow bag of tricks can go.

Edit: Maybe a slight emphasis on Tavern Brawler, Battle Master, and Swords College Bard, to hit people with other people.

Bphill561
2020-04-10, 10:57 AM
Half Elf Knowledge Cleric 4 / Lore Bard 4 / Arcane Trickster Rogue 12 (Not in that order)
Order is probably a rush to Rogue 11 and Bard 2. So Rog1/Brd2/Clr1/Rog+10/Brd+2/Rog+1/Clr+3
Use ASIs to increase stats to 20. Finally take the Prodigy feat from Xanathar's.

When there is a check you are rolling
1d20 (minimum 10) + 5 + Half / Normal / Double proficiency + Guidance when appropriate.

Maybe look for a Luckstone?

Focus on non combat based roleplay. What do you want to do with your reliable nigh impossible talents? Also start to ask what a DC40 check would bring.

I have been thinking of a similar build for a not as good stat block (13, 18, 17, 15, 16, 20) relying heavily on UA.

Half Elf Revived Rogue 12/Lore Bard 5/Undying Light Warlock 2 (Pre-Celestial)/ Knowledge Cleric 1

Observant/Resistance Con/+2 Dex/+2 Con/ Last one Open

Kind of tempted to drop a Bard level for a Ranger level for alternative class feature that removes fatigue on a short rest, but unnecessary. Or to pick up a third Warlock level to get advantage on concentration spell saves and pick up shadow dagger.

Seems like the UA Cunning Action Aim goes well with the revived rogues necrotic bolts if you don't have to move that round.

Warlush
2020-04-10, 11:15 AM
I would probably go for a typically impossible multiclass. Like a Ranger/Paladin or a Berzerker Barbarian/Bard. Or my dream come true, a Wizard/Warlock. School of enchantment/conjuration,GOOlock. Or a Necromancer/fiendlock.

jmartkdr
2020-04-10, 12:40 PM
Either:

Monk/paladin multi, because I can.

Or a standard human champion fighter, since I'm gonna be good at everything anyways.

Misterwhisper
2020-04-10, 01:39 PM
Either:

Or a standard human champion fighter, since I'm gonna be good at everything anyways.

Drunken master 14, vengeance paladin 6:

Yeah, I make those saves.

JNAProductions
2020-04-10, 01:44 PM
Yeah, Monk 14/Paladin 6 would be pretty cool.

You get 4 ASIs, so go Half-Elf, Mountain Dwarf, or Standard Human to max every single stat, and enjoy +16 to all saves.

Probably go Paladin 6 first, to be more party-friendly. Everyone loves Aura of Protection!

2020-04-10, 01:54 PM
Ranger. Nooooooo oooooooooooooone lols like Gaston, no one trolls like gaston, no one rolls them six-spot bones in a row like Gaston!

CTurbo
2020-04-10, 02:44 PM
Gnome Paladin 6, Monk 14 and never fail a save

Kobold Ancients Paladin 8, UA Revised Beastmaster Ranger(TWF) 12 with a wolf.
Max Str, take Mounted Combat, Sentinel, and Dual Wielder and use two Lances while riding on your wolf. You would get 3 or 4 attacks per round and your wolf would get 2 and you both would have advantage on every attack. It would also be really hard to hurt your wolf.

GlenSmash!
2020-04-10, 03:04 PM
I'd also go for the Paladin 6/Monk 14 build. I'd start straight Paladin, and then switch to Monk. I'd be like my character gets so holy he no longer needs armor or a shield.

Pex
2020-04-10, 03:07 PM
Depends on my mood. I'd be going for pure roleplaying since game math is well taken care of.
Paladin to be the Great Hero.
Monk to be the Paragon.
Sorcerer to be Mr. Right Now. :smallwink:

Misterwhisper
2020-04-10, 03:29 PM
Depends on my mood. I'd be going for pure roleplaying since game math is well taken care of.
Paladin to be the Great Hero.
Monk to be the Paragon.
Sorcerer to be Mr. Right Now. :smallwink:

I like the idea of Thugbard.

A short tempered valor bard who fights his own crowd, but they love him anyway.

Just had an odd picture of King Diamond wearing adamantine half plate with a big demonic helm, his instrument is a pair of short swords, the make screaming sounds.

SLOTHRPG95
2020-04-12, 07:53 AM
I would probably go for a typically impossible multiclass. Like a Ranger/Paladin or a Berzerker Barbarian/Bard. Or my dream come true, a Wizard/Warlock. School of enchantment/conjuration,GOOlock. Or a Necromancer/fiendlock.

I've always thought Warlock/Wizard is a fun pairing, although obviously beyond a dip the two spellcasting tracks really compete against each other for your attention. I think with all 18s I'd make a Tiefling Fiendlock 5/Evoker X. Basically a master of hellfire, with Flames of Phlegthos being an obvious pick for your first ASI. Go Pact of the Blade just because you can, and since nothing is funnier than having someone think your blaster is helpless once they close into melee distance with you, only to have you whip out a greatsword and beat them mercilessly. Or go Pact of the Chain and get an extra infernal buddy to help you out.

Quietus
2020-04-12, 09:10 AM
Half-elf Monk 15/Bladesinger 5 would be real tempting. Monk to 6, Bladesinger 2, Monk 14, Bladesinger 5, capstone timeless body so you never age. What's better than 20 Dex/Wis for AC? Throwing a 20 Int on there too!

Meme build, Monk 14/Bladesinger2 for the shenanigans above, plus Bard3 and Rogue 1 for skills.

Alternative meme build, Human (regular, not variant), either Rogue or Fighter. Take a half feat for every stat to get 20 across the board. ::Edit:: Probably Rogue, so I can get the Wis save proficiency at higher levels, and Resilient : Con to hit the big 3.

jas61292
2020-04-12, 10:15 AM
I don't know exactly what I'd want, but I'd be very tempted to try something Barbarian related. These stats would actually make the Unarmored Defense worth it over Medium armor. Grab a shield and you have a minimum AC 20 at level 1. For other classes, Barbarian becomes like the Fighter or Cleric dip for heavy armor, except that you don't have to wait until you are level 7 or whatever to actually get that AC.

Honestly, something I have kinda wanted to try for a while is mixing Barbarian with dip of War Magic Wizard, as you could pretty much spam their Arcane Deflection while raging since you can't cast spells anyways. The fact that you have high Int and thus Tactical Wit is actually useful is a nice bonus too. I'd probably pair it with Ancestral Guardian barbarian so that I can actually entice some enemies to target me despite my massive defenses. Also I like the flavor of that subclass for mixing with magic. That being said, Spirit Shield does compete for use of my reaction, so I don't know if I would stick in Barbarian all the way. Might mix it up with some other martial classes to pick out some other cool abilities. You really could multiclass about as much as you would want here, so I could totally see myself dropping a couple levels in Fighter as well as either Paladin or Ranger to pick up a couple fighting styles and other abilities. Fighter in particular would let you pick up Cavalier for more ability to make others target you. And then maybe some Rogue if I have room because Expertise and cunning action are fun.

Something silly looking like Ancestral Guardian Barbarian 5 / War Magic Wizard 2 / Cavalier Fighter 3 / Gloomstalker Ranger 7 / Thief Rogue 3.

Probably go Mountain Dwarf or something since I only get 2 ASIs with this crazy nonsense. Is this the best build? Probably not. But only with stats like this could I do something like this and not feel utterly stupid for it. Or really do this at all. It needs 13s in Str, Dex, Int and Wis. Not normally going to happen.

Foxydono
2020-04-12, 12:48 PM
I'd go half-elf rogue 3 (assassin), fighter 3 (champion), paladin 7 (ancients), barbarian 2, sorcerer 5 (draconic). Max int and con. Should be a fun build to play, lots of options. Get mask of the dragon Queen for 25 AC unarmored (30 while bladesinging and 35 with shield) , fire immunity, insane saves and other goodies.

rickayelm
2020-04-12, 01:31 PM
Half elf silver dragon sorcerer eldritch knight. Even split.

Witty Username
2020-04-12, 02:06 PM
High Elf bladesinger, using a long sword, because I can.

In more seriousness, I have a couple of ideas in my notebook for characters that would require some amount of charisma for role playing reasons, one a cleric(priest of Waukeen, intelligence would probably help the economics end of things) and one a wizard (a yuan-ti enchanter spy) both of these characters would work with all 18's so I would probably use the opportunity to build one of those.

I think maybe the best thing I would do is a concept that 5e doesn't do well normally, a Paladin of Mystra. Holy Knight of the goddess of magic who studies arcane magic as a part of their service. Paladin/wizard multiclass probably using abjurer, war wizard, diviner, or evocation. Probably would use devotion paladin if I took paladin past 2.

Tvtyrant
2020-04-12, 03:14 PM
Paladin 2/Druid 18 probably. Smites make Wildshape damage more competitive, gets full casting, is conceptionally cool.

bid
2020-04-12, 10:13 PM
Half-elf Monk 15/Bladesinger 5 would be real tempting.
Any monk / caster really. Dancing AC22 is crazy for monksinger.:smallwink:

Tome-monk or shadow sor-monk have potential too.

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-13, 11:21 AM
I'd be tempted to go Mountain Dwarf Barbarian to 20. That would give me 20 STR and 20 CON to start. :smallbiggrin: {Poison resistance and Advantage on Poison saves).

The thorny question I have is: what feats to take?

(a) Alert seems a great idea so that I'd (1) mostly go first and (2) never be surprised and (3) not get abused by invisible / hidden opponents.
(b) +2 Dex at 8 (20 in the important combat / physical attributes). Naked AC = 20. Hope to find Bracers of Defense and a Ring of Protection at some point to make it 23. At level 20, that becomes 25 with the boost to 24 Con.
(c) Resilient Wisdom at 12. Why? Late in the game, I don't want to get feared by Ancient Dragons or other Wisdom based DCs).
(d) ?? at 16 Observant? That would get Wisdom up to 20.
(e) ?? at 19 Maybe Lucky feat here.

And just wreck stuff.

Second choice:
1/2 elf Pact of the Blade GOO Warlock. (No Hexblade!)
Start with 19 Str and 19 Dex and 20 Cha.
ASI at level 4 gets us S 20 D 20 Con 18 Int 18 Wis 18 Cha 20.

Teaguethebean
2020-04-13, 12:44 PM
I would say monk, with 2 levels of blade singer. Probably wood elf for starting off with 19 AC and then with bladesinger it goes to 23.

Warlush
2020-04-13, 01:08 PM
You could be a swashbuckling, gloom stalking, war wizard bard with the alert feat. At lvl 10 you'd have like a 23 initiative.

CTurbo
2020-04-13, 02:08 PM
A Bladesinging Monk makes much more sense but with these stats, a Bladesinging Barbarian would be a lot of fun. Sure you can't rage and cast spells, but you aren't always raging, and sure it takes 2 turns to set up rage + Bladesong, but they would work together.

Really, you could have a lot of fun with a few levels of Barbarian.

Barbarian/Druid for raging animals

Barbarian/Paladin for raging smites

Barbarian/Monk for raging fists of fury

Berserker Barb 11/War Cleric 9 so you can cast Greater Restoration on yourself at the end of the day to help with Exhaustion

I almost forgot about a Grappling Barbarian/Lore Bard. Hold down your enemies and mock them viciously and use cutting words too as they try to escape you haha

N810
2020-04-13, 02:46 PM
Berserker/Cleric
Remove your own exhaustion levels will magic. :nale:

Samsquatchtopus
2020-04-13, 03:03 PM
Wood Elf Kensai Monk 20, with feats: Martial Adept, Magic Initiate(For Booming Blade), Warcaster and Sentinel. Just to have some serious swordplay options. Could also dip 1 ,4, levels of rogue for better skills.

clash
2020-04-13, 03:04 PM
I would play a caster and see how many different spells I could know/prepare. 18 in all stats means I can cast any of them equally well and really build it however I want.

Skylivedk
2020-04-13, 06:08 PM
I would play a caster and see how many different spells I could know/prepare. 18 in all stats means I can cast any of them equally well and really build it however I want.

For a single classed caster, 18 in every stat doesn't make a difference to just 18 in your casting stat in regards to spells (besides concentration of course).

clash
2020-04-13, 06:14 PM
For a single classed caster, 18 in every stat doesn't make a difference to just 18 in your casting stat in regards to spells (besides concentration of course).

Oh I meant a very multi classed caster so I could pick up whatever spells I wanted from any casting class

Wildarm
2020-04-13, 08:37 PM
Mountain Dwarf Bardbarian
Barb1/LoreBardX

Magic secrets for Armor of Agathys

Ultra tank. Rage and Cutting works means most foes end up beating on themselves with upcast AoA cast in advance.

Put your feats into standard PAM/GWM/Sentinel/Warcaster to provide a threat they can't ignore. Spells give you tons out of combat utility.

bid
2020-04-13, 09:49 PM
Oh I meant a very multi classed caster so I could pick up whatever spells I wanted from any casting class
Not possible. Even wish cannot reproduce true resurrection.

You could have loads of low-level utilities, but you'd miss all the powerhouse spells.

Necroanswer
2020-04-15, 09:00 PM
I'd ask to reroll my stats because all 18s would be super boring and it would suck for all the other players.

Benny89
2020-04-16, 03:18 AM
Not the most optimized but I would finally be able to do Brawl Shaman build I always wanted but can't play it cause it's MAD as hell.

1 Hexblade/3 Bear Barbarian/16 Monk. He was a shaman in his tribe and also one of the strongest totem-warriors, who believed that the mightiest of warriors fight with fists, like bears and tigers. He was a member of a group that could drain power from Spirits, which give them supernatural strength, speed and power (and so they don't need armor or weapons, hence monk dip). Few can also draw power from Spirits (Warlock dip) and lead their tribes.

I would start with Hexblade for WIS proficiency (nothing worse than mind effect shutting down barbarian), then go 5 monk for extra attack, then 3 Bear Barbarian and finish monk. Maybe even stop at 1 barbarian dip...

But this is something I really wanted to play with.

That is why I don't like attributes requirements for multiclassing. I know it's suppose to limit "powerbuilding" (which is stupid, because powerbuilders will ALWAYS find a wy to min-max) but it also greatly limits very thematic and great builds, like Barbarian/Monk or Cleric/Wizard etc.

CTurbo
2020-04-16, 04:30 AM
Barbarian 2/Abjuration Wizard 18

Look like a Wizard, play it like a Wizard, but you happen to be hot tempered. Maybe you lose your sh** when you get attacked.

Literally any race would work, but I would probably want to either play a race with an unarmed attack option like Aarakocra, Lizardfolk, or Tabaxi OR take a good melee boosting feat like GWM, PAM, Dual Wielder, or Tavern Brawler. Tavern Brawler and Dual Wielder are pretty much inconspicuous which would be perfect for trying to LOOK like a regular Wizard while GWM and PAM are not easy to hide. I supposed you could take PAM and use your walking staff.

Another similarly different idea is to play a Barbarian/Sorcerer that looks and acts like a Barbarian most of the time, but casts spells subtly when necessary. Would at least be a lot of fun. Nobody would ever even suspect that the spells were coming from you. Yeah I know you can't rage and spell at the same time so maybe Fighter/Sorcerer would be better.

Tes
2020-04-16, 10:03 AM
18 in everything is a little too much and spoils the fun for a normal group.
Pointbuy always looks like a bit of a letdown at first, still ends up creating a more memorable character that has more of a "personality". A good DM will just tease you a bit with your -1/+0 scores once in a while outside of life threatening situations. I'd honestly miss the random moments where the Barbarian rolls a 19 on that random inconsequential INT check and outdoes the Wizard.

You're just going to be too good at a lot of things, which is a bit of a detriment to make 4 or 5 people happy with their role in a party.
Would works pretty nicely for a solo or duo of PCs though.

I'd probably go for an "invulnerable" Paladin 6(+) + X Sword and Board build. +9 or 10 to most saves at level 6. Shieldmaster or a Rogue Dip for 0 damage on successful Dex saves. Kinda breaks the game if you're lowkey immune to most saving throws and Expertise in Athletics to avoid getting grappled.

Always wanted a shot to run the MADness that is Paladin 6(11) War Mage 14(9) for spell progression, choice of Shieldmaster/Shield/+2AC/+4 to a save with your Reaction and +2 AC while concentrating. Tough as nails, still does nice damage and can probably take on double the usual deadly CR intended for a single guy (until you roll that 1 and are out of Reactions).

Spiritchaser
2020-04-16, 10:41 AM
I actually had a monk with 20 WIS, Observant and expertise in Perception. At some point the DM just gave up and marked everything interesting (traps, secret doors, invisible enemies) on the map in my line of sight.

I have a character like this in one of my campaigns. She made it her “ thing” and so be it. Short of crazy hard stuff I just tell her everything.

That on its own has definitely saved the otherwise reckless party at least 5 times.

Snowbluff
2020-04-16, 12:07 PM
Either:

Take it a step further, a monk/paladin with a natural weapon that can be used for unarmed strikes that get Improved Divine Smite.

Paladin is a natural option in general. All of your saves will be fantastic.