PDA

View Full Version : Statting out a Paladin's Mount

Tyrael
2007-10-24, 03:50 PM
Can one of you forumites look this over and check it for accuracy? This is my first time modifying a monster, and I don't know if I caught everything.

I took the standard MM Hippogriff and added the Celestial template (acquired via Celestial Mount from BoED) as well as the Paladin Mount template (PHB).

lvl20 Paladin's Mount: Celestial Hippogriff
Size/Type: Huge Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 11d10+9 (209 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (10 squares), fly 110 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 23 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +14 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 22
Base Attack, Grapple: +8/+3, +21
Attack: Claw +16 melee (1d6+10)
Full Attack: 2 claws +16 melee (1d6+10) and bite +16 melee (2d6+10)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Smite Evil
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, Resistance 10(Acid, Cold, Elec), DR5/magic
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 13, Con 20, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +15, Spot +15
Feats: Dodge, Wingover, Flyby Attack, Mobility

Smite Evil(Su): Once per day, the Hippogriff can make a normal melee attack to deal +11 extra damage against an evil foe.

Flyby Attack: When flying, the Hippogriff can take a move action (including a dive) and another standard action at any point during the move. The Hippogriff cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.

Wingover: The Hippogriff can change direction quickly once each round as a free action. This feat allows it to turn up to 180 degrees regardless of its maneuverability, in addition to any other turns it is normally allowed. A creature cannot gain altitude during a round when it executes a wingover, but it can dive.

Dodge: The Hippogriff gains +1AC vs its current target.

Mobility: The Hippogriff gains +4AC vs Attacks of Opportunity from movement.

Vasdenjas
2007-10-24, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately, your mount won't be quite as cool as that. The bonus HD from Paladin's mount is just that, bonus HD. It does not follow the rules for normal monster advancement, so no size increases. It only affects their BAB, saves, skill points, and feats (all specifically mentioned).

Here's what I come up with:

lvl20 Paladin's Mount: Celestial Hippogriff
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 11d10+33 (94 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 60 ft. (10 squares), fly 110 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 25 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +14 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+21 (this is debatable, Magical Animals get full BAB, but Paladin Mounts state they get 3/4. I would say they get the better of the two)
Attack: Claw +17 melee (1d4+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +17 melee (1d4+6) and bite +12 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Smite Evil
Special Qualities: Command creatures of it's kind, Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, share saves, share spells, Spell Resistance 25, Resistance 10(Acid, Cold, Elec), DR5/magic
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +4
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +8 (+8 skill points to distribute)
Feats: Dodge, Wingover (+2 feats)

Note, since the Hippogriff is not a normal mount, nor is it a normal animal, it typically seems to go by the rules of Druid Animal Companions, in which you lower the Paladin's effective level based on the power of the creature used as your mount. If this is the case, you would need to reduce the above numbers accordingly.

woc33
2007-10-25, 04:56 AM
Note, since the Hippogriff is not a normal mount, nor is it a normal animal, it typically seems to go by the rules of Druid Animal Companions, in which you lower the Paladin's effective level based on the power of the creature used as your mount. If this is the case, you would need to reduce the above numbers accordingly.

You are correct, the answer is in the DMG, in the page about unusual mounts. i believe your effective paladin level equals [your paladin level]-[the creature's CR], though it could be it's HD. Check page 204 on the DMG for more information.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 05:32 AM
A Hippogriff becomes available as a mount at 6th level, so already at level 16 the mount attains the maximum +8 HD (Pre-Epic).

triforcel
2007-10-25, 05:34 AM
A Hippogriff becomes available as a mount at 6th level, so already at level 16 the mount attains the maximum +8 HD (Pre-Epic).

But that's a regular Hippogriff. This one is Celestial which'll make a difference.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-25, 05:38 AM
But that's a regular Hippogriff. This one is Celestial which'll make a difference.

No. (Celestial Mount, Book of Exalted Cheese.)

Fhaolan
2007-10-25, 09:07 AM
Or Planar Handbook, Planar Paladin substitution level...