PDA

View Full Version : Statting a... wombat?

TigerT20
2020-04-10, 01:34 PM
The world I'm building atm pulls from Australia quite a lot, and the contient was the first inspiration.

And after getting some of the essentials - emu/cassowary, dingos, kookaburras, koalas (I haven't actualy figured kangaroos out yet), I have come to wombats, another iconic animal, which I am struggling with.

Now, as they are often overshadowed by the other animals that belong Down Under here's a synopsis:

- Tiny, with a 'giant' version being small. Also, I'll be having a Large version to represent Diprotodons (now extinct, huge wombats with a powerful bite)
- Cute and fluffly. Looks like the common ancestor of a koala bear and a guinea pig.
- Built like a tank. Tough and compact, they readily face off dingos
- Attacks with their bite or the hardened skin around their rears
- Love digging
- Can run at 40mph

I would rather reflavour an existing statblock rather than a new one, but if none fit I'll happily take a new stat block
So far my idea is Boar (Move down one size level and add burrowing speed)
What do y'all think?

MagneticKitty
2020-04-10, 02:09 PM
I'd use badger and giant badger
Or rat and giant rat

GlenSmash!
2020-04-10, 03:33 PM
I'd start with this guy too https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/badger

Its tiny and tough, and has a burrow speed for tunneling.

TigerT20
2020-04-10, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the badger suggestions - i can't believe I didn't think of them, especially with how fuzzy they are (well, British badgers)

Cheesegear
2020-04-10, 06:48 PM
Now, as they are often overshadowed by the other animals that belong Down Under...

You obviously don't know about wombat combat.

I would rather reflavour an existing statblock rather than a new one, but if none fit I'll happily take a new stat block

Badger. Add:
What the f-!? (1/day) A Wombat may Dash as a Bonus Action.
Bony Behind. When a Wombat uses the Disengage Action, it gains +2 AC against melee attacks until the start of its next turn.