PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spell Point Variant from DMG: How many points does an artificier gets each level?

Myth27
2020-04-10, 03:24 PM
there is a Spell Point Variant in the DMG that replaces Spell Slots with "spell points". it gives full casters (9th level spells) a number of points that goes from 4 to 133, and it says that paladins and rangers get half of those. Is there an official answer to how many points does an artificier (the new class in the eberron book) get?

MaxWilson
2020-04-10, 03:26 PM
No official answer but just like with warlocks the answer is obvious anyway: you count up all the spell points costs of all the spell slots that an Artificer would normally get. That's exactly how they got the DMG spell point table.

Tanarii
2020-04-10, 04:02 PM
It should be same as a paladin or ranger, 1/2.

For single class spell slots: Artificers just round up their 1/2 level at level 1. Paladins and rangers round up except at level 1.

I don't know the spell points well enough to know if you're supposed to do it by effective level for paladins/rangers, or literally halve the points.

MaxWilson
2020-04-10, 04:07 PM
It should be same as a paladin or ranger, 1/2.

For single class spell slots: Artificers just round up their 1/2 level at level 1. Paladins and rangers round up except at level 1.

I don't know the spell points well enough to know if you're supposed to do it by effective level for paladins/rangers, or literally halve the points.

I've always done it by halving effective level. I don't remember the DMG explicitly mentioning paladins and rangers at all.

Tanarii
2020-04-10, 04:17 PM
I've always done it by halving effective level. I don't remember the DMG explicitly mentioning paladins and rangers at all.
It says:
For a paladin or ranger, halve the character's level in that class and then consult the table. For a fighter (Eldritch Knight) or rogue (Arcane Trickster), divide the character's level in that class by three.

So divide first, then consult the table.

Nothing about rounding process, unlike like the multi class rules. But the single class progression of spell slots: round up all fractions once you have the Spellcasting class feature. So that seems like the logical process.

Greywander
2020-04-11, 04:39 AM
there is a Spell Point Variant in the DMG that replaces Spell Slots with "spell points". it gives full casters (9th level spells) a number of points that goes from 4 to 133, and it says that paladins and rangers get half of those. Is there an official answer to how many points does an artificier (the new class in the eberron book) get?
In general, it seems like most half casters (paladin and ranger), are "half, round down". The artificer seems to be a break from that, being "half, round up". That's why they get spellcasting at 1st level instead of 2nd.

So for the paladin, you'd halve their level, rounding down, to determine their caster level, which in turn tells you how many spell points they get. For the artificer, you'd halve their level, rounding up.

MrStabby
2020-04-11, 05:04 AM
For each artificer level, is there not a wizard level where they get the same number of each type of spell slot as the artificer gets?

Is it not possible to look up the points a wizard gets for those same slots? Genuinely asking as I dont have access to the artificer.

diplomancer
2020-04-11, 06:17 AM
In general, it seems like most half casters (paladin and ranger), are "half, round down". The artificer seems to be a break from that, being "half, round up". That's why they get spellcasting at 1st level instead of 2nd.

So for the paladin, you'd halve their level, rounding down, to determine their caster level, which in turn tells you how many spell points they get. For the artificer, you'd halve their level, rounding up.

It's only on level 1 that Paladins and rangers "round down" (technically they don't have the spell casting feature yet, so there is no rounding going on). For some reason (which I can only imagine, but suspect it is to discourage multiclassing), for purposes of multiclassing, they round down their spellcasting levels when considering the multiclass spellcasting slots/level table.

A single class Paladin or Ranger, for every level since he gains the spellcasting feature rounds up when considering his "spellcaster level".

Same rule applies to the Artificer, except he has spellcasting feature from level 1, so he starts rounding up already from level 1.

Tanarii
2020-04-11, 10:09 AM
For each artificer level, is there not a wizard level where they get the same number of each type of spell slot as the artificer gets?

Is it not possible to look up the points a wizard gets for those same slots? Genuinely asking as I dont have access to the artificer.
Yes. It's the same as 1/2 rounded up.