PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon world/ Apocalypse engine- Any specific mod/ game for Eberron or Shadowrun?

Kol Korran
2020-04-10, 03:27 PM
(I posted this in the general forum since my question encompasses several game systems)

Hey folks. First of all, I'm very very new to the games I'm about to mention, so I may get some names/ concepts/ terms mixed up.

I've recently been exposed to Dungeon World, and by extension, somw of the "powered by the apocalypse" game engine. I find it quite bewildering, in a good way. My mind has been working rapidly since... This system/s may enable me to:
- Finally plan and run a campaign I wanted to run for a long time, in Eberron's past.
- Perhaps make a MOD (That is how it's called), or a game that encompasses the vibe, atmosphere and world of Shadowrun but without the bulky and cumbersome mechanics.

But, since I am new to these systems, and since it may have been done before, I thought to ask here:

- Is there any MOD/ game for Eberron? I assume it will use the chasis of Dungeon World. I especially am looking for anything worthehile regarding dragonmarks (Houses & Dragonmarked characters), the artificer, the special races (changeling, shifters, warforged, Kalashtar), and anything dealing with Eberron's specific faiths.

- Is there any MOD/ game for Shadowrun? I assume the archetypes can fairly easily be transfered to "classes/ archetypes" of a sort. Gear could be simplified but I assume some concepts/ systems may need to be worked out (The metrix, dealing with digital authorization and so on, the astral and spirits, and so on).

- Last question: Is there any good source to read from about the apocalypse engine? And how to tweak it/ alter it to make your own content?

Thanks in advance, Kol.

EndlessKng
2020-04-10, 11:20 PM
I don't know about Eberron. Though, Dungeon World is fairly easy to adapt stuff to - there's probably a third party or fanmade Artificer book, and the rest is ultimately adding what you want to it - with monsters, you can find something that is close and adapt it a bit. However, I'm not sure about racial moves - I found a thread on reddit that includes a few homebrew things (https://www.reddit.com/r/DungeonWorld/comments/btfuko/any_eberron_resources/), but it's not everything.

Shadowrun, though, that is a lot easier. There's been a lot of efforts to replicate or emulate the feel and world of Shadowrun in PbtA. There's a combo of two games that works towards technofantasy Cyberpunk - the Sprawl is arguably the premier cyberpunk game for PbtA, and the Touched Prime setting (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/280124/Touched-Prime) expands on that base with more fantastic elements that are definitely inspired by Shadowrun. There's also fanwork "Sixth World" (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29K_XCb2TlkT0dzU2FGTFZZakk/view - not sure if that's the latest or not), which is a Dungeon World-based expansion into Shadowrun territory.

Zakhara
2020-04-11, 05:42 PM
"World of Shadows" is a redressed hack of World of Dungeons (itself a hack of Dungeon World, itself a hack of Apocalypse World):

https://sentientgames.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/world-of-shadows/

(An "Advanced" version of this game is also out there)

Powerdork
2020-04-12, 02:23 AM
Ironsworn (https://ironswornrpg.com) is pretty extensible to suit your games; a few of its moves suggest things about the setting, but you can sub things in to fit. You could make dragonmark assets inspired by the dragonmark feats of 3.5: "When you Gather Information by exploiting lines of sight, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit", for instance, as the first ability for the Mark of Detection; add in the Sighted asset and sprinkle other benefits to taste and you have a believable Medani heir.

As a PbtA-inspired game, its moves and advancement scheme are pretty compatible with Dungeon World, even if the core concepts of assets and playbooks, and the core roll, look like they can't be fit together at first glance.

For the Eberron-introduced races, a lot of it can be covered by fictional positioning and good stat distribution. A kalashtar is a non-dreaming reality-bender who fights a secret war, a warforged is an Iron defender, a shifter is a fierce soul that turns into a beast when fighting (consider the Berserker and Brawler combat talents), and a changeling's shapeshifting talents could be abstractly represented with the Pretender asset.

When it comes to altering PbtA games to suit your needs, a lot of the guidance offered in the books (particularly for Dungeon World, Chapter 19 "Advanced Delving") are good starting points. Tone and the space you want to play in are massively important when considering what to alter. You would only add laser rifles to a Barrier Peaks-style adventure, to draw a parallel here. For everything you add, make sure it supports the kind of play you aren't already getting from your game; this is best done by asking yourself what the game doesn't handle.

Pelle
2020-04-14, 02:41 AM
I'm sure there's a Blades in the Dark hack for Shadowrun...

farothel
2020-04-14, 03:09 AM
An older system called Earthdawn exists that was linked to Shadowrun (it isn't anymore due to copyrights and such things). Where Shadowrun is the 6th world and ours is the 5th, Earthdown was about the 4th world, when magic was in the world again. Maybe you can look into that.

PintoTown
2020-04-27, 11:23 PM
I'm sure there's a Blades in the Dark hack for Shadowrun...
Yep. Runners in the Shadows. It’s pretty slick.
You can find it on the Blades in the Dark site under ‘Fan Creations.”

LibraryOgre
2020-04-27, 11:33 PM
I've been working on a Shadowrun hack for Savage Worlds, but stalled out in the Matrix.