PDA

View Full Version : Good Feat Choices for Bugbear Battlemaster

Tokuhara
2020-04-10, 07:42 PM
So this is more forward planning than anything, but in an upcoming campaign, I settled on a Bugbear Fighter (currently level 2) who will be going the Battlemaster/PAM/Sentinel route. I already have those and 2 ASIs for Strength accounted for, but the remaining ASIs are on the float.

Before anyone asks, no, I'm not dipping out of Fighter (more for flavor reasons than mechanical, but 4 attacks is pretty nice beyond PAM's) as much as I know 2 levels of Barbarian would pump my damage into absurdity. And plan is to heavily utilize Lunging Attack on my turns and occasionally use Pushing Attack or other maneuvers (situation permitting).

So what other Feats should I be looking into? Theme for the PC is he's a member of The Chill mercenary band (Mercenary Veteran background) and his Glaive (currently) has a banner of The Chill. Charisma is an 8, so Inspiring Leader is not an option, and while I know it's circus animal parts and warm dogfood garbage, I am considering Martial Adept as an option. So any suggestions for other choices?

Sherlockpwns
2020-04-10, 08:57 PM
Mobility is always nice. Not only for the extra move, but so you can hit someone and disengage, thus putting them back in PAM/Sent range if they approach. Handy for instance when two enemies approach and you hit one and now the other is at 5ft, you can smack that guy and reposition, forcing another reaction attack.

Resilience is also always a solid choice. Especially at later levels where the bonus will be substantial. Wis or Dex being the obvious choice, especially if you have an odd score in one.

Those are my two choices!

CTurbo
2020-04-10, 10:37 PM
Favorite feats for a Fighter, in no particular order,...

1. Resilient(Wisdom) - shores up your biggest defensive weakness
2. Ritual Caster - gives much needed utility that the fighter lacks
3. Magic Initiate - Adds utility/versatility/exploration, etc...
4. Mobile - good on anyone
5. Alert - good on anyone
6. Lucky - good on anyone

Feats that would be great for you specifically,...

1. Spell Sniper(Booming Blade)
2. Warcaster
3. GWM

You're never going to want to use your action to cast Booming Blade, but thanks to Warcaster, it's a GREAT use of your reaction.

Corran
2020-04-11, 12:58 AM
Resilient wisdom, mobile and GWM are the first that come to mind.

Tokuhara
2020-04-11, 08:01 PM
So first off, thanks folks for the swift suggestions. I like Mobility for sure, as well as I can see the value in GWM. As a self-nerf, I'm limiting myself to AL rules, so no Booming Blade, but I can see grabbing say Minor Illusion, Firebolt, and Find Familiar with Magic Initiate

pr4wn
2020-04-13, 09:12 PM
Without knowing your stat array, it is hard to give the most optimal recommendations. One thing I have seen frustrate melee heavy fighters is a lack of a decent ranged attack. As you are a Bugbear, I'm assuming you have a decent Dex and can make do with a bow, Here are a few things I would consider:

If your Dex is higher than your Wisdom and Intelligence:

Use a bow for ranged attacks.
Take Resilient (Wisdom) for your feat.

If your Wisdom or Intelligence is higher than your Dex:

Take Either Magic Initiate (Cleric) or Magic Initiate (Wizard) depending on which is higher.
Take ASI Wisdom or Intelligence, or Lucky for your feat.

Mobility is a solid choice for the second feat available.

-pr4wn

Tokuhara
2020-04-14, 02:41 AM
Sorry to not drop that in.

Str: 16, Dex: 14, Con: 15, Int: 10, Wis: 12, Cha: 8