PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help choosing a background for a Sea Elf in an Egyptian themed campaign

Expired
2020-04-10, 10:35 PM
I'm having difficulty choosing a background for my Sea Elf Eldritch Knight Fighter for a homebrew campaign based on Ancient Egypt. Being a Sea Elf, I wanted him to come from Atlantis and have it located somewhere in the Mediterranean Sea (for simplicity) or the Atlantic Ocean. I'm not sure what position he should have in the city, though. I've considered Noble (maybe one of the princes of the kingdom sent on a quest to earn renown among neighboring nations in order to become the next king?), Mercenary Veteran (it would fit nicely into the lore of the campaign but it's been tough to come up with a reason why he'd become one), Gladiator (maybe he was captured and enslaved as a child and and forced to compete?), and a few others but I am open to suggestions.

Durazno
2020-04-10, 11:13 PM
One possibility is having him be a pirate or a raider, as a reference to the Sea Peoples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples

Misterwhisper
2020-04-10, 11:35 PM
What about a merchant?

You are a great warrior but also well educated in the ways of arcana.

You worked your way up from being a guard on a merchant ship and being amphibious was a gold mine for you. You picked up on lots of things over your time there, especially how to pick out real stories of the arcane and those that were embellished.

After working for years you became first mate to a captain who had seen it all, an old occultist who specialized is maps and symbols.

Years later the crew looked to you for leadership as the captain grew old. Soon it was your ship.

Now you transport more “subtle” cargo from Atlantis to its allied kingdoms, but you can’t just be a merchant forever, you have to find your own artifacts and legends.

Background: merchant
Skills: arcana and insight
Tools: navigators tools and cartographers tools.
Background trait: respected trader. Other merchants and traders know your reputation and always give you fair prices and even sometimes coming to you for your appraisal skills.