PDA

View Full Version : Favorite tool proficiencies?

Rfkannen
2020-04-10, 11:41 PM
Tools are a often undervalued and overlooked part of a character. However, especially with Xanathar's guide, they can be super useful! What are your favorite tools? Which ones do you think are the most fun? What do you do with them?

OldTrees1
2020-04-10, 11:59 PM
Thieves Tools
Kinda an obvious answer but they are versatile and in high demand.

sambojin
2020-04-11, 12:26 AM
I actually tend to (since 3rd edition), take Bowyer's Tools. I can make bows and arrows. It's sorta like getting a free short/ long/ composite bow at character creation, it's also a little thing my character does during downtime.

It's also a handy thing for any of those "village/ town/ city/ character stronghold is being attacked by whatever", really really soon, but not right now scenarios, that seem to always come up in longer campaigns. Give me a few days and we have a few archers, regardless of what we started with. Often with blessings of a druid upon the wood, to fight the evil plaguing the land. At worst, I've got some bows and arrows for sale, for the likely heroes of the land. They might not be great bows or arrows if I've got to make them fast, but I can turn wood into an appreciably better ranged weapon than the average rock or sling can give you.

Even better, in 5E, a toolset is essentially a profession, so I'm good to go. I do bows and arrows. I don't even necessarily use them well myself. It's just a really good tool-set. If I can Druidcraft the hell out of a tree and make it fully blossom, or strengthen its chances to do so pretty quickly, I can probably murmur up some bless'ed wood, cut by a druid, from a bless'ed tree, to be a hunter on its prey. The tree will totally understand. Druids pay it forward, to not take away from that which is. But, yeah. They can definitely cut or use wood, and even a tiny bit of metal. They're just really good at it :)

(remember, Druids wander off, all over the place, and cast Plant Growth for 8hrs. It's not just a farming tool for humans. Harvesting is *our* term. There's gives and takes, and circles within circles. A balance, of sorts)

Expired
2020-04-11, 12:30 AM
Thieves Tools
Kinda an obvious answer but they are versatile and in high demand.
I agree. In addition, I like choosing proficiency in the Herbalism Kit, Poisoner's Kit, Disguise Kit, and/or Forgery Kit depending on the campaign.

Kane0
2020-04-11, 01:13 AM
For a standard game i usually try to convene with my fellows to make sure the smithing, carpentry and masonry trifecta are accounted for as those really do make adventuring that much smoother.

For a more intriguey game substitute in calligraphy/forgery, disguise and poison kits.

For a more explorey game substitute in cartography, vehicles and cooking.

And in all cases thievery is great, to the point it should be considered an essential skill alongside perception, persuasion and the like.

Ironheart
2020-04-11, 01:15 AM
Herbalism Kits have been among my favorites because the idea that you can get potions for much less money if you take some time has always really appealed to me- It’s like investing in the party’s welfare, and there’ll be a day where all of your stuff gets used up to it’s fullest.

The combo of water vehicles and navigator’s tools with keen mind has always interested me, though.

sambojin
2020-04-11, 01:32 AM
Herbalism Kits have been among my favorites because the idea that you can get potions for much less money if you take some time has always really appealed to me- It’s like investing in the party’s welfare, and there’ll be a day where all of your stuff gets used up to it’s fullest.

The combo of water vehicles and navigator’s tools with keen mind has always interested me, though.

The only horrible thing I hate about herbalism kits is that it tends to be a druid thing. And druids have Goodberry as a spell in 5e. And Goodberry is amazeballs. That's why I take Bowyer's Tools.

Dork_Forge
2020-04-11, 01:36 AM
Just for being interesting I like to take Cobblers' tools when I'm able to, improving everyone's shoes is neat and useful in an exploration heavy game and the secret compartment you can make is just all kinds of cool. I've put stuff like a cut down set of lock picks in there before in case of capture.

Segev
2020-04-11, 01:40 AM
The wizard in my ToA game has medicine kit proficiency, is an apothecary by trade, and has the Healer feat.

Kane0
2020-04-11, 03:35 AM
Just for being interesting I like to take Cobblers' tools when I'm able to, improving everyone's shoes is neat and useful in an exploration heavy game and the secret compartment you can make is just all kinds of cool. I've put stuff like a cut down set of lock picks in there before in case of capture.

‘Tis a fool who foregoes either tailor or cobbler given the chance

Crucius
2020-04-11, 03:39 AM
Mason's tools: the Demolition feature lets you deal double damage to walls. Really cool to make a first impression with your barbarian, fighter or paladin plowing through a wall to get to the enemy.

Zetakya
2020-04-11, 03:50 AM
Cooks Utensils. Never underestimate the value of a good hot meal in the field, or the social power of a well-cooked dish for the right person.

HappyDaze
2020-04-11, 08:44 AM
I actually tend to (since 3rd edition), take Bowyer's Tools. I can make bows and arrows. It's sorta like getting a free short/ long/ composite bow at character creation, it's also a little thing my character does during downtime.

I'm pretty sure those are covered under the broader "Woodcarver's Tools" in the list, which allow you to make a lot of wooden objects (although wooden structures and, possibly, wooden vehicles--especially ships--go under Carpenter's Tools).

stoutstien
2020-04-11, 09:07 AM
Ever PC I make has at least 2 tool proficiencies. Brewer's and tinkering are my go to picks. Being able to make alcohol and fix little things is a great way to get small communities to warm up to you.

ZorroGames
2020-04-11, 09:36 AM
I use my Mountain Dwarf proficiencies to theme my character.

Weak (8+2 “weak”) PCs get Brewer’s tools. Wanderers also usually get this. Months wandering without a drink to wash the dust away? Nah!

Strong ones alternate between Smith and Mason based on how I see the backstory. Masons tend to be those who left in response to a “suggestion” or outright ejection. Smiths use “showing the product to customers” excuse to adventure.

nickl_2000
2020-04-11, 10:23 AM
The only horrible thing I hate about herbalism kits is that it tends to be a druid thing. And druids have Goodberry as a spell in 5e. And Goodberry is amazeballs. That's why I take Bowyer's Tools.

Where are boyers tools even defined? I don't see them in the phb at all.

HappyDaze
2020-04-11, 10:25 AM
Where are boyers tools even defined? I don't see them in the phb at all.

According to Xanathar's Guide, bows and arrows are examples of what you can make with Artisan's Tools (Woodcarver's Tools).

elyktsorb
2020-04-11, 11:55 AM
Poisoner's Kit, even if it is super under developed.

Verble
2020-04-11, 08:53 PM
I had a kobold monk who had proficiency with woodcarvers tools. He'd often leave gifts, or warnings, for people in the form of small animal carvings.

Tanarii
2020-04-12, 11:14 AM
IMO every party needs someone with cartographers tools.

Cicciograna
2020-04-12, 11:22 AM
I'm a sucker for cartographer tools: not only they are good to, you know, not getting lost, but thinking outside the box the inks, quills and parchment in it can always come useful.

HappyDaze
2020-04-12, 11:29 AM
IMO every party needs someone with cartographers tools.

If you're speaking about mapping as you go, it's important to note that these tools are not easily employed on the go. It's not like it's graph paper on a clipboard with a ballpoint pen.

If playing in Eberron, I suggest getting a spellshard (a common magical item; it should cost roughly 2d4 x 10 gp) to mentally map out locations without tools. It still takes the same amount of time to mentally "draw" those maps, but you won't be worried about all of the little environmental factors that could complicate the conventional making of maps--and you can store a lot of maps on a single spellshard.

Tanarii
2020-04-12, 11:41 AM
If you're speaking about mapping as you go, it's important to note that these tools are not easily employed on the go. It's not like it's graph paper on a clipboard with a ballpoint pen.
They still provide a bonus to mapping. And since XtGE changed the rules for tools, they also provide a bonus to knowledge of mapping related subjects, instead of just using per the original PHB rules. Which helps even in following accurate mapping processes while doing scratch mapping along the way.

Segev
2020-04-12, 01:35 PM
Keen Mind, minor illusion, and proficiency with cartographer’s tools would let you map as you go, then scribe it permanently when you get to camp. Keen Mind may not even be necessary, as long as you keep good notes and recast minor illusion regularly.

Mold earth could make a good backup storage medium for the burgeoning map notes when you need minor illusion for a fight. Heck, carry a slate and you don’t need minor illusion. Just keep recasting mold earth at least once an hour.

Shape water would not work as well, due to the limits on how fast you can color multiple portions of it.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-12, 02:02 PM
A friend took "Proficiency (Proctology Tools)" once.

Said they were for "Dexterity (Medicine)" checks but really only used them for Intelligence (Intimidation) checks.

BloodBrandy
2020-04-12, 05:01 PM
Currently running an inventor Warlock with 5 tool proficiencies.

Alchemist Supplies have been helpful for potion making

Leatherworking tools, along with a Nature and Arcana proficiency, have been very helpful for harvesting parts from slain monsters.

Tinker Tools have given me a walking chest to carry my tools and a device that operates like the Alarm spell to protect our camp during the night

Smith and Jeweler's Tools I've used the least, but now that I have Fabricate, I'm sure out Paladin will appreciate a much cheaper cost on making Plate Mail as well as Plat Barding, in addition to the other **** i'll be able to fabricate.