PDA

View Full Version : General terms for moving opponents

Mulletmanalive
2020-04-11, 11:01 AM
Hello folks,

not been here in a while.

I'm looking for a few words to help me out with a dilemma.

I've come to use Grapple as a general term for all of the grabbing, pushing and pulling one might do in a combat, while Wrestling is for the actual locks, holds and pinning type stuff.

I'm looking for a nice word for the "i need to reposition my opponent" type stuff, including the types of thing that Pathfinder calls "Push," "Pull," "Resposition," "Bullrush," and even "Overrun" to an extent.

Kinda stuck for ideas on this one.

Thanks.

Edit: I've already borrowed the terms Push, Pull and Slide from 4e, but I'm struggling for a nice term for "how good I am at the a-pushin-and-a-pullin!"

aimlessPolymath
2020-04-11, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for- do you want a name for the general action of moving someone around (ex. Reposition, Drag), or for the attribute used to make those checks (ex. Combat Maneuver Bonus, Force)?

D&D_Fan
2020-04-11, 12:37 PM
Push
Shove
Knockback
Displace (physical)
Force
Pull
Drag
Yank
Take with you
Slide (intentional)
Glide
Skip
Move Swiftly
Slide (unintentional)
Trip
Stumble
Move Clumsily

Mulletmanalive
2020-04-11, 07:34 PM
Thank you both!

As with Pathfinder having say CMB [Disarm], I was trying to find a suitable term to be a general one for Push/Pull/Reposition etc, as in placing everything that just moves you around under one modifier name. The "why" is because I want to keep the subgroups as un-numerous as possible.

I've settled on Manhandle, leaving me with

Grapple
[B]Wrestle [what would normally be called grappling; locks and pins type of thing]
Manhandle [moving your opponents around]
Disarm [Also pulling double duty as "Steal"]
Sunder [Pulling double duty as "called shot" too]
Trip

I'm a little dubious about bothering to include Trip on the character sheet, but it expands so well if you want to be a martial artist type character...