PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A expanded crit range

Torpin
2020-04-11, 11:52 AM
i came from3.5 and i recall it being possible to roll a critical threat, but still miss, so you missed, such as when you had improved crit with say a rapier and it was your third iterative attack with like +5 ti hit and a 15-20 crit range.
im looking at the hexblade, the champion and the oath of conquest subclasses
hexblade read "Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a
critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20."
oath of conquest "Your melee weapon attacks score a critical hit on a
roll of 19 or 20 on the d20" and champion "Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd
level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a
roll of 19 or 20."
Am i correct in reading that as if you attack and get a 19, theneven if after modifiers it wouldn't normally be high enough to hit it still crits

stoutstien
2020-04-11, 11:57 AM
Critical Hits always hit in5e. Even with relationship the features that turn critical hits into normal hits such as adamantine armor the initial attack still Lands.

Torpin
2020-04-11, 12:09 PM
thanks, appreciate it

Rara1212
2020-04-11, 02:42 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is a difference between a critical hit & a nat20 on attacks. I remember there bing discussions on this before.

Lille
2020-04-11, 02:49 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is a difference between a critical hit & a nat20 on attacks. I remember there bing discussions on this before.

To quote the book:

If the d20 roll for an attack is a 20, the attack hits regardless of any modifiers or the target's AC. This is called a critical hit, which is explained later in this chapter.

HappyDaze
2020-04-11, 03:50 PM
Even if a roll of 19 is a critical hit because of an effect/feature, it still doesn't automatically hit like a roll of 20 does; you still need to compare the (19 + modifiers) to the AC, but it is a critical hit if it equals or exceeds the AC.

stoutstien
2020-04-11, 04:11 PM
Even if a roll of 19 is a critical hit because of an effect/feature, it still doesn't automatically hit like a roll of 20 does; you still need to compare the (19 + modifiers) to the AC, but it is a critical hit if it equals or exceeds the AC.

They could have definitely formated it better but if all critical attacks hit then anything that gives expanded crit range would also expand the auto hit part as well.

Saying that the feature has to specifically increase critical hit range such as the champion fighter where a vorpal sword calls for a 20 roll regardless of crit range.

Varlon
2020-04-11, 04:24 PM

Jeremy Crawford appears to disagree: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/512340910495891456
If a feature says it's a critical hit, it's a hit. Hexblade's Curse uses similar wording.

LudicSavant
2020-04-11, 04:31 PM
A critical hit is a variety of hit. There is no "critical threat" in 5e. You either scored a critical hit or you didn't.