PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is there a way to destroy the attunment of an item?

Myth27
2020-04-11, 05:32 PM
say the enemy has a magical weapon can I destroy his attunment with a spell or something?

MaxWilson
2020-04-11, 06:02 PM
say the enemy has a magical weapon can I destroy his attunment with a spell or something?

"A creature’s attunement to an item ends if the creature no longer satisfies the Prerequisites for attunement, if the item has been more than 100 feet away for at least 24 hours, if the creature dies, or if another creature attunes to the item."

So yeah, Plane Shift (plus waiting 24 hours) is one way to break attunement, or e.g. Power Word: Kill.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Wraith
2020-04-11, 06:12 PM
A creature's attunement to an item ends if the creature no longer satisfies the prerequisites for attunement, if the item has been more than 100 feet away for at least 24 hours, if the creature dies, or if another creature attunes to the item. A creature can also voluntarily end attunement by spending another short rest focused on the item, unless the item is cursed.

So we might have some options;

+ No longer satisfies a pre-requisite. Depending on the item, that could mean level-draining the owner, or a similar kind of stat-drain, whatever it is that they rely on to use the item. Not terribly reliable, since very few items I can think of have such generalised requirements.

+ More than 100ft away for 24 hours - Disarm the opponent (or make them drop the item) and then either teleport or Plane Shift them away. Kind of defeats the objective though, if we can just "get rid" of the enemy then it's pretty immaterial whether or not they have a magic item attuned. Maybe putting the item into a Bag of Holding would count, as it's extra-dimensional and thus might qualify for 'distance' depending on your GM?

+ Another creature attunes to the item - As above, if you have the time and resources to do that without interruption then the enemy probably isn't that much of a problem.

+ Voluntarily ending the attunement with a short rest - There might be some potential here if you can Charm Person on an enemy and extend the duration long enough that you can convince them to sit down, take a break and remove their item.... Or you can just kill them and take it anyway.

I'm not aware of any spell effects or feats that will do what you want instantly, while the owner is present. It pretty much just adds up to "kill them and/or steal it from them and attune it to yourself" - an item being 'soulbound' to a specific being is a separate, and far more rare, effect than just attuning.