PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sphere of the Temporal (Magic Item Help)

FlammySenpai
2020-04-12, 11:03 AM
Hey guys, I'm running a 5e campaign and we're nearing the end. My plan is to get everyone up to level 20 and have everyone fairly overpowered for the final fight. I'm giving everyone homebrew magic items for their characters that make them even more overpowered. One of my characters is a wizard focusing on time magic and I had an idea for an item to give him that I was wanting to run by you guys. I wanted to see if you guys thought it was underpowered, too overpowered, or just see what you guys thought of it in general!

Sphere of the Temporal

Legendary Artifact

requires attunement

This orb is a +2 spellcasting focus. In addition, the orb has 10 charges and regains 1d6+4 charges at the start of each day.

Limited Foresight (2 charges): Can grant you advantage on either attack rolls, saving throws, or skill checks until your next turn. Must choose one of these.
Rewind Time (3 charges): As a reaction can negate all damage taken from a single attack.
Advance Time (3 charges): Can immediately give yourself an additional action.
Temporal Surge (5 charges): Each target you choose in a 60 foot radius must make a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or take 10d6 points of necrotic damage. In addition, the target ages 4d6 years. On a successful save the target takes half damage and the amount of years aged is reduced by half.
Chronal Infallibility (7 charges): As a reaction, can automatically succeed on an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. Conversely, you can cause a target to fail an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check.

Aeriox
2020-04-12, 08:50 PM
Is it very good? Yes. Is it overpowered? It really depends on the other items you’re giving out, as well as the boss they’re going to fight with these. If that’s the power level of the others and the boss will be hard enough, then keep it. It’s a cool item, and it definitely feels powerful. However, you have to make sure all of your players get something that strong. And keep in mind that depending on how he uses it, it has the possibility to essentially negate an encounter (mostly from the Chronal Infallibility). Also, you might want to make the free action surge cost more. But yeah, it’s a cool idea and as long as the power level is consistent it should work well.