PDA

View Full Version : Help with Strength-based Grappler Monk subclass

Axianax
2020-04-12, 03:12 PM
Hi- New here, but I know this is a place people come to talk about Dnd and whatnot, so I thought I'd make an account and ask for help

I need a little help designing a subclass. The character in question is a Strength based monk that specializes in grappling. I have never used a homebrewed subclass before, nor have I made one, so I was hoping to get some input/ideas.

All I have right now is the level three feature, but a friend who is helping me with it (also has never made or used a homebrewed subclass) and I had an idea that this subclass could maybe be like the Battlemaster subclass for fighter? Whereas if has different grappling moves like a Suplex for example, as maneuvers. But we're not sure how to balance that in terms of how strong should they be, what utility if any should they offer, how many maneuvers should there be, what resources should it use if any, etc. I'm not married to any of those ideas, but it was a starting point.

Any input, ideas, or suggestions welcome, and thank you in advance!

aimlessPolymath
2020-04-12, 06:20 PM
One strategy for homebrew would be to take effects from various existing monk archetypes, and tweak them to work in a more closely focused fashion. I'd be against using the Battlemaster as a baseline, because monks already have a short-rest refreshing resource in Ki points. Additionally, unless you have a really long list of maneuvers to choose from, I personally prefer a smaller list of abilities that everyone gets to a larger list that only certain people have access to.

Using the Open Hand monk as a baseline, I made a short list of three effects that the monk might want to choose between every round as a bonus action by spending a Ki Point, of roughly similar strength to the existing options from Open Hand. Because you needed to already have them grappled, I chose not to require hitting with an attack first, which gives them more specialized utility than the Open Hand options.
Level 3:
Wrestling Hold: As a bonus action while grappling a creature, you can spend 1 Ki Point to do one of the following.
-Choke Out: Automatically deal twice your Martial Arts die in damage to an enemy grappled by you. They cannot speak until your next turn.
-Circle Throw: If they fail a Strength save, you can move 5 ft, then drag them to any square adjacent to you.
-Tangle Feet: If they fail a Dexterity save, they fall prone."

For 6th level, I looked at other 6th-level features that looked inspiring. Most of them were defensive, so I'm looking for a defensive feature here.
From the Drunken Master, I liked the attack-redirection, because it felt natural to redirect it to a grappled creature. Since grappling imposes an additional condition, I removed the condition of "melee attack."

Body Shield: By spending 1 Ki Point as a reaction when an attack misses you while you are grappling a creature, it hits your grappled creature.

For 11th level, a number of Ways had essentially supernatural effects., many utility effects Obviously, your intent for the subclass as a whole matters, but I really liked this:
Tool Use: While you have a grappled creature, you can spend 1 Ki Point to use them as a monk weapon for 1 minute. Their base damage die before Martial Arts is 1d6 for a Medium creature, or 1d10 for any larger creature. Whenever used as a weapon, they take damage equal to their damage die(1d6 or 1d10) for every attack made with them. Additionally, you can move at full speed while grappling a creature.

For 17th level, most subclasses had big, expensive abilities; spending 3 points on something cool like a bodyslam would be appropriate here.

This is somewhat lacking in utility features, but there's space to add some around 11th level, I think. Maybe an ability that gives you supernatural dominion or insight into those you strike? Maybe a climb speed, plus the ability to grapple even bigger creatures, or touch ghostly creatures, or something?