PDA

View Full Version : War/sorc is a coffeelock or pal/hex is a hexadin does that make a druid/monk a Drunk?

Falconcry
2020-04-12, 03:56 PM
What are some of the common acronyms for multiclass characters? Fighter/Paladin? Assassin/Gloomstalker etc. Do all the combos have a name?

Dualswinger
2020-04-12, 04:14 PM
Paladin/Warlock is commonly shortened to Padlock

Bard/Barbarian is usually Bardbarian

Christew
2020-04-12, 04:19 PM
Sorcerer/Paladin = Sorcadin (or more pejoratively, a Paladork)
Circle of the Moon Druid/Totem Barbarian = Bearbarian

Falconcry
2020-04-12, 04:26 PM
So a Padlock is a warlock pact other then Hexblade?

Christew
2020-04-12, 04:38 PM
So a Padlock is a warlock pact other then Hexblade?
Or a Hexadins is just a more specific type of Padlock.

togapika
2020-04-12, 05:46 PM
Circle of the Moon Druid/Totem Barbarian = Bearbarian

Bearbearian

JackPhoenix
2020-04-12, 06:46 PM
Well, I refered to my cleric/monk as Clonk....

But no, vast majority of combos doesn't have a name, because there's too many of possible combination, most aren't that common, and they generally don't sound that good.

8wGremlin
2020-04-12, 07:21 PM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CCoOdOxETSUJfJGGWzCb-NbqL34nU2arsyS-lpLj5LI/edit?usp=sharing

Google spreadsheet you can fill in with the names if you like.

Crgaston
2020-04-12, 08:31 PM

Following this convention, I nominate that the elusive Paladin/Monk class be hereafter known as the Padonk.

Zetakya
2020-04-12, 11:38 PM
Following this convention, I nominate that the elusive Paladin/Monk class be hereafter known as the Padonk.

But which is a Badonk, Bard/Monk or Barbarian/Monk?

Tanarii
2020-04-12, 11:57 PM
Cha/Cha
Sorlock
Sorcadin*
Pallock. (Although Waradin has a nice ring to it.)
Pard? :smallamused:

Wis/Wis (made up on the spot)
Cluid
Moric
Dranger

Int:
Fizzard (EK - Wizard)
Rizzard (AT -> Wizard)
Rincewind naming rules require two zs

*Whenever I see someone post about a Paladorc I think they mean a a Half-orc Paladin.

Arkhios
2020-04-13, 10:14 PM
Cha/Cha
Sorlock
Sorcadin*

Cluid
Moric
Dranger

Int:
Fizzard (EK - Wizard)
Rizzard (AT -> Wizard)
Rincewind naming rules require two zs

*Whenever I see someone post about a Paladorc I think they mean a a Half-orc Paladin.

Re: Paladorc, exactly my thoughts.

To me, Sorcadin is the more obvious reference for a paladin/sorcerer (and ffs, it doesn't matter which class you put first in the acronym, despite the class levels you have in either! SORCadin is sorcADIN is sorcadin :smallannoyed:)

I literally laughed at Fizzard and Rizzard. Made my day!

Cikomyr2
2020-04-13, 10:42 PM
Cha/Cha
Sorlock
Sorcadin*

Ward!!

Cluid
Moric
Dranger

Clanger

Nidgit
2020-04-14, 04:19 PM
But which is a Badonk, Bard/Monk or Barbarian/Monk?

Bard, obviously. A Barbarian/Monk would be a Barbonk!

Tanarii
2020-04-14, 04:22 PM
Ward!!Doh, I missed the obvious one. :smallamused:

ClangerI can't remember seeing many of those. Far mor Dragners.

Petrocorus
2020-04-15, 05:15 PM
By the way, how do you call in English this kind of word made up from to other words concatenated together?
Because this is not an acronym.

I like "Warladin".

Totally agree.

blackspeeker
2020-04-15, 05:20 PM
By the way, how do you call in English this kind of word made up from to other words concatenated together?
Because this is not an acronym.

They're called portmanteaus.

Cikomyr2
2020-04-15, 05:38 PM
They're called portmanteaus.

Proper spelling is portemanteau

Comes from the same word in French that means "coat-hanger", from "Porter" the French word for "to hold" or "to carry" and "Manteau", the French word for "Coat"

Petrocorus
2020-04-15, 06:02 PM
Proper spelling is portemanteau

Comes from the same word in French that means "coat-hanger", from "Porter" the French word for "to hold" or "to carry" and "Manteau", the French word for "Coat"
And oddly enough, in French, we call this kind of word "luggage-word".

Reynaerde
2020-04-16, 11:34 AM
Assassin/GloomstalkerI see what you did there.

Alistaroc
2020-04-16, 11:48 AM
The ultimate monk multiclass naming scheme; the Onks.

Artificer/Monk: Aronk
Barbarian/Monk: Bonk
Bard/Monk: Badonkadonk
Cleric/Monk: Clonk
Druid/Monk: Donk
Fighter/Monk: Fonk
Paladin/Monk: Ponk
Ranger/Monk: Ronk
Rogue/Monk: Rogonk
Sorcerer/Monk: Sonk
Warlock/Monk: Wonk
Wizard/Monk: Wizonk

Joe the Rat
2020-04-16, 12:11 PM
The ultimate monk multiclass naming scheme; the Onks.

Artificer/Monk: Aronk
Barbarian/Monk: Bonk
Bard/Monk: Badonkadonk
Cleric/Monk: Clonk
Druid/Monk: Donk
Fighter/Monk: Fonk
Paladin/Monk: Ponk
Ranger/Monk: Ronk
Rogue/Monk: Rogonk
Sorcerer/Monk: Sonk
Warlock/Monk: Wonk
Wizard/Monk: WizonkSorry, it's been long established that Warlock/Monk is a Monklock. Hence Rogue being Monkkey.

Christew
2020-04-16, 05:31 PM
Bard + Paladin = Balladin?

Cikomyr2
2020-04-16, 07:06 PM

Or a Palard

Petrocorus
2020-04-16, 07:27 PM
Or a Palard
Bardadin, i believe.

Tanarii
2020-04-16, 08:00 PM
Oh very nice.

Christew
2020-04-17, 08:31 AM
Oh very nice.
Thanks, was proud of that one.

T.G. Oskar
2020-04-17, 01:25 PM
As fun as it could be to call a Barbarian/Fighter a "Barbster", if it's a Champion, it'd probably be a "Crit Fisher".

That said: if I were to give a name to a Druid/Monk hybrid, I'd go for "Fist of the Forest". Reference to a previous edition, yes, but absurdly fitting. "Dronk" sounds fun (and you could go for Drunk if the Monk happens to be a Drunken Master...*wink wink*), but that name is more evocative.

And note that only Paladins/Hexblade Warlocks are called "Hexadins". The rest tend to be called "witchknights". Sure, it's not very common, but I do recall the use of that term.

...I guess I prefer more evocative names than silly portmanteaus? (Which is why I consider Hexadin and Coffeelock good ones - at least they're not straight portmanteaus. And while "porte-manteau" would be the correct definition, it's kinda like doppelganger, where it became a loanword and Anglicized that way?)

Arkhios
2020-04-18, 06:37 AM
As fun as it could be to call a Barbarian/Fighter a "Barbster", if it's a Champion, it'd probably be a "Crit Fisher".

That said: if I were to give a name to a Druid/Monk hybrid, I'd go for "Fist of the Forest". Reference to a previous edition, yes, but absurdly fitting. "Dronk" sounds fun (and you could go for Drunk if the Monk happens to be a Drunken Master...*wink wink*), but that name is more evocative.

And note that only Paladins/Hexblade Warlocks are called "Hexadins". The rest tend to be called "witchknights". Sure, it's not very common, but I do recall the use of that term.

...I guess I prefer more evocative names than silly portmanteaus? (Which is why I consider Hexadin and Coffeelock good ones - at least they're not straight portmanteaus. And while "porte-manteau" would be the correct definition, it's kinda like doppelganger, where it became a loanword and Anglicized that way?)

Personally, I'm with you on this. All these attempts to shoehorn a portmanteau as if they should be a factual part of each combination are most imaginative, while in my opinion the only value they have is their tongue-in-cheek silliness. It's not that I was saying playing with tongue-in-cheek all the time is #BadWrongFun, but it's not for me. I much prefer playing in a believable world, that I can immerse myself with.

I find it impossible to maintain immersion if other players or DM insist on calling a Druid/Monk a Dronk or Hexblade/Paladin a Hexadin. I don't feel they're believable in the slightest. I would be far more acceptable if instead they wanted to call their Druid/Monks Fists of the Forest, both in and out of character.

Heck, I prefer to call my Oath of the Ancients Paladin, in-character, by the traditional class level title, (currently at Paladin 5) Warder of the Old Faith (which is widely referred as the Druidic Religion in many settings, as well as in our homebrew setting).