PDA

View Full Version : Conjure Pixies, let them cast Polymorph and Dispell them...does the Polymorph stay?

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-04-13, 12:09 AM
As if just letting the invisible Pixies hide and turn invisible wasn't enough, is there something in the rulebook that says if the Pixies return to the Feywild or wherever they loose concentration on whatever spell like Polymorph they've casted?

Conjure Woodland Beings:
4th-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (one holly berry per creature summoned)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You summon fey creatures that appear in unoccupied spaces that you can see within range. Choose one of the following options for what appears:

One fey creature of challenge rating 2 or lower
Two fey creatures of challenge rating 1 or lower
Four fey creatures of challenge rating 1/2 or lower
Eight fey creatures of challenge rating 1/4 or lower

A summoned creature disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends.
The summoned creatures are friendly to you and your companions. Roll initiative for the summoned creatures as a group, which have their own turns. They obey any verbal commands that you issue to them (no action required by you). If you don’t issue any commands to them, they defend themselves from hostile creatures, but otherwise take no actions.
The DM has the creatures’ statistics.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using certain higher-level spell slots, you choose one of the summoning options above, and more creatures appear: twice as many with a 6th-level slot and three times as many with an 8th-level slot.

Edit: I don't think Pixies can be invisible and concentrate on a spell after more carefully reading the description.

MaxWilson
2020-04-13, 12:16 AM
If the spell ends and they are no longer friendly to you, why would they continue concentration on your spell instead of going back to whatever they were doing before?

Note: this is also relevant to a Moon Druid who e.g. conjures up a couple of Dryads to Barkskin him.

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-04-13, 12:32 AM
If the spell ends and they are no longer friendly to you, why would they continue concentration on your spell instead of going back to whatever they were doing before?

Note: this is also relevant to a Moon Druid who e.g. conjures up a couple of Dryads to Barkskin him.

You bring up a good point. I know Pixies don't like violence but they're also neutral good. My party tends to run chaotic good, my character is a charismatic wood elf bard and we're generally fighting obviously evil beings.

Over the course of a day if I were a warlock maintaining hex I guess that backpain on the mower and something my 4 year old did may cause me to break concentration. SO I guess in the course of the average hour its unlikely but possible unless Pixies have way more challenging lives than I do.

Laserlight
2020-04-13, 03:43 AM
If I'm reading the spell correctly, you don't conjure pixies. You conjure "a creature with this CR rating" and the DM decides what you get.

But let's say you get pixies. The Concentration mechanic is partly intended to limit caster power by giving everyone a way to turn off a spell. If you dismiss pixies and they still concentrate, that seems like a cheesy way to try to circumvent Concentration. If the DM said "the demons turn your cleric and fighter into trout, then disappear so you can't disrupt their Concentration" would you consider that fair?

Also, pixies have a reputation as being flighty.

As a DM, if I gave you pixies, I'd be inclined to say "you dismiss, they stop Concentration." If you make a rousing speech to them and the monster is obviously evil, I might have each pixie roll each turn to continue Concentration.

MrConsideration
2020-04-13, 03:51 AM
Its not RAW but some effects (ie contacting people with Sending) stop working on different planes, implying there's some kind of magical 'distance' between planes that makes these things not work. I would rule that once the conjured creatures return to the Feywild their effects stop working due to this magical distance.

However, if you were to cast Polymorph on an enemy and then cast Blink and end up in the Ethereal Plane, I feel that is a RAI means of protecting your concentration from disruption (and arguably part of the point of the spell Blink).

Alternatively, you could argue that Pixies are off cavorting in the Feywild and sure as heck aren't concentrating on some spell the cast in another universe.

The core issue here is the ridiculous power of summoning Pixies if this is proving problematic in your game and the player's argument is that RAW nothing about plane shifting to the Feywild breaks concentration, as was pointed out earlier by RAW your players have no say whatsoever in what is summoned by Conjure Fey.

MaxWilson
2020-04-13, 09:48 AM
Its not RAW but some effects (ie contacting people with Sending) stop working on different planes, implying there's some kind of magical 'distance' between planes that makes these things not work. I would rule that once the conjured creatures return to the Feywild their effects stop working due to this magical distance.

However, if you were to cast Polymorph on an enemy and then cast Blink and end up in the Ethereal Plane, I feel that is a RAI means of protecting your concentration from disruption (and arguably part of the point of the spell Blink).

Alternatively, you could argue that Pixies are off cavorting in the Feywild and sure as heck aren't concentrating on some spell the cast in another universe.

The core issue here is the ridiculous power of summoning Pixies if this is proving problematic in your game and the player's argument is that RAW nothing about plane shifting to the Feywild breaks concentration, as was pointed out earlier by RAW your players have no say whatsoever in what is summoned by Conjure Fey.

Pixies should be CR 2. At CR 1/4 they are way overpowered, and that's as true when used by the DM as the players. Do you really want to fight four orcs and six pixies as an "Easy" 5th level encounter, then do it seven more times in the adventuring day? No, you do not. You'll probably TPK if you do.