PDA

View Full Version : A good introductory one-shot?

Eldariel
2020-04-13, 10:47 AM
Hi,

I'm introducing some friends to this edition (they have plenty of RPG experience but last played D&D with 3.5e some years ago) and we decided that we'd start by running a one-shot with premade characters just to introduce the mechanics of the edition. Trouble is, I'd need ideas for a good one-shot. All the actual adventure paths are way too long; I'd need something with no more than 3-5 hours of playtime but that still introduces the major things in this edition (at least far as combat and probably dungeoneering goes). I'd also not want to put too much effort into it as I'm short on time and we plan on running an actual campaign afterwards.

So, I'm turning to you all: what one-shot adventures would you recommend for these parameters?

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-13, 10:53 AM
You can get "The Master's Vault" on roll20 for free, and down load it as a pdf. (Well, I did).
It's a very good starter adventure. It is short enough to be a one shot, but you can play it out over two sessions. It is very much a "walk through these mechanics" kind of adventure.

Trask
2020-04-13, 01:05 PM
Its 5 bucks but its a pretty sweet and simple "orcs in a hole" type adventure that typifies the classic D&D experience. Its also mercifully short, I'm sure it could be completed in one gaming session.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/248046/Orcs-in-Taroduns-Tomb-5e?affiliate_id=1892600

iTreeby
2020-04-13, 04:27 PM
The mad manor of Astabar is free, I ran it pretty well. I'd advise drawing the map out and having flash cards for the monsters but otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

Whiskeyjack8044
2020-04-14, 01:13 AM
The Amber Owlbear comes with pre-gen characters, is very easy to run, and a total blast to run and play.

It is a heist, mostly Role Play and Skill Checks with a splash of combat (a big splash of they **** up) but I loved running it. Its a great ambassador for the edition.