PDA

View Full Version : Becoming Beholder(kin)?

Wonton64
2020-04-13, 06:17 PM
Pretty simple question. There are classes such as the Eye of Xanathar and Ocular Adept that let a humanoid borrow a small portion of our favorite eyeball horrors' powers, but is there a method that would let a PC be considered beholderkin?

Afghanistan
2020-04-13, 06:31 PM
There is no prestige class, feat, class feature, or character option besides playing a Beholderkin natively, that will allow you to qualify as a Beholderkin to play a Beholder Mage.

Wonton64
2020-04-13, 06:53 PM
There is no prestige class, feat, class feature, or character option besides playing a Beholderkin natively, that will allow you to qualify as a Beholderkin to play a Beholder Mage.

Doesn't Beholder Mage require being a true Beholder and not just beholderkin? I was more curious in regards to, like, feats and the like.

Troacctid
2020-04-13, 07:11 PM
I guess there's the dreaded form of the eye tyrant spell.

Segev
2020-04-13, 08:19 PM
The method I like - because it feels like it has the most story behind it, to me - for becoming a beholder so you can go Beholder Mage is to start as an Elan, and, when you hit level 5, take Metamorphic Transfer. Make sure your Int is at least 19. Get a wizard to cast polymorph any object to turn you into a Beholder. You now are "same type" (Aberration) and "lower intelligence" (Beholders only have 18), so the duration is permanent.

Don't use your eye rays more than twice, or you lose them before you can sacrifice them for the Beholder Mage's spellstalks.

NontheistCleric
2020-04-14, 10:02 AM
Dragon Compendium's Shaper of Form has the ability Modify Self, which can be obtained with only a single level. Its Renaissance option allows one to 'change race', with the only restriction on this being that one cannot change creature types.

Therefore, as long as you start as some kind of aberration (Elan, Synad etc.), it should theoretically be possible to become a beholderkin, although after that you might lack a playable level adjustment and be unable to advance by character class.