PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there a way to Monstrous Thrall a Woodling?

Avigor
2020-04-13, 08:14 PM
So the hypothetical is, for whatever reason, you want to permanently Dominate a Woodling (template in MM3), which as a part of the template gives you the type traits of a plant that include immunity to both polymorph and mind-affecting. Let us assume that the target is not valid for Manipulate Form (yes, that one). Nightmare Spinner's Adaptation section is technically a suggested homebrew rather than a RAW afaik so we'll ignore that. I chose Woodling because you can't POA them into a different creature type that lacks the immunity to mind-affecting, nor can you take it away via other means such as level drain or the Remove Trait spell (as afaik since it's neither extraordinary or supernatural but type-based the immunity should not be a valid target).

I'm unsure about Reincarnate, given that the description does specify that the new body is always of the same type, and even if the loophole that a non-Woodling is technically the same type (they just get some extra features from their type because template) meant that there was an overwhelming chance of the new body being non-Woodling (leaving just the double-0 "Other" as the odds of getting the template back) you're banking on the target being willing to return, which if it knows there's a threat it might not be.

A small possibility I can think of is a non-polymorph type change such as Greater Visage of the Deity (converted from personal to touch via maybe an epic Runesmith [RoS] or a Spellguard of Silverymoon [PGtF]) and then following that with at least Monstrous Thrall if not also a POA (to try and permanently lock it into a non-Woodling form in case of some kind of suppression ruling), but that is heavily dependent on how the DM rules how an ongoing mind-affecting effect functions or fails when the target's type changes back, and/or if a POA on a temporarily type-changed but normally immune to polymorph creature will hold when the duration expires or not.

Otherwise, maybe waiting for the target to be asleep or otherwise unconscious, as SRD has "A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality." However that sounds like you need to get the target to consciously suppress their immunity, and somehow I doubt being asleep should normally do that.

Finally, there's always Wish, Miracle, or epic magic, but those are kinda like cheats anyways. What do you guys think? Am I missing anything?

Griggory
2020-04-14, 02:24 PM
Some thoughts:

Magic Jar could work to get temporary control of the woodling and then using the clause you listed to polymorph "yourself" into something else.

The plant domain gives you the ability to rebuke plants. This temporary control could also be used to polymorph it.

Avigor
2020-04-15, 08:57 AM
Some thoughts:

Magic Jar could work to get temporary control of the woodling and then using the clause you listed to polymorph "yourself" into something else.

The plant domain gives you the ability to rebuke plants. This temporary control could also be used to polymorph it.

Ok, Magic Jar could totally work then lol nice one.

Plant domain couldn't though, because that specifies plant type, and Woodling's are not plant type, only original type with some plant traits. Good thinking though.

ShurikVch
2020-04-15, 01:48 PM
If you need it just for a long time rather than truly "permanent" - then, maybe, Mineralize Warrior will work (presuming Humanoid)?
I mean - it's for a year and a day, but Monstrous Thrall was nerfed to "24 hours/level"... (:smallmad:)

Necrotic Domination isn't [Mind-Affecting]

Also, you may try to dominate some creature which is able to control other creatures - such as Deepspawn*, Gray Jester, Guecubu, or Tsochar - and command them to subdue the Woodling in question
(*Warning: Deepspawn's "control" is really: devouring the victim, and then producing the identical copy, which is loyal to the Deepspawn)

Avigor
2020-04-27, 12:15 AM
I mean - it's for a year and a day, but Monstrous Thrall was nerfed to "24 hours/level"... (:smallmad:)

OMFG how did I miss that?! ok then... course the core conundrum of mind controlling the supposedly immune isn't invalidated, I just don't have permanency any more (albeit a Spell Clock (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a) could make life easier to maintain ongoing control).

If you need it just for a long time rather than truly "permanent" - then, maybe, Mineralize Warrior will work (presuming Humanoid)?

Nope, adding a subtype won't strip type immunities.

Necrotic Domination isn't [Mind-Affecting]

Also, you may try to dominate some creature which is able to control other creatures - such as Deepspawn*, Gray Jester, Guecubu, or Tsochar - and command them to subdue the Woodling in question
(*Warning: Deepspawn's "control" is really: devouring the victim, and then producing the identical copy, which is loyal to the Deepspawn)

Now we're cooking. I also just remembered Fiend of Possession and Ghosts; not so much stripping as bypassing but still gets the job done.

Can anyone think of anything else?

ShurikVch
2020-04-27, 03:06 AM
Nope, adding a subtype won't strip type immunities.I'm referring to this part of the spell:
The newly created mineral warrior is under compulsion to serve you for a year and a day, after which time it is free to go its own way. No matter how many times you use this spell or other spells that grant you control of creatures with the earth subtype, you can control only 2 Hit Dice worth of mineral warriors per caster level. If you try to control mineral warriors in excess of your limit, you gain control of the new creatures normally, but some of the ones from previous castings are released from their compulsion until your total controlled mineral warriors is equal to or below your limit. (You choose the specific creatures that are released.)Neither RAW says "it's a mind-affecting effect", nor Mineralize Warrior spell itself is [mind-affecting] (it's Transmutation [Earth])
So, if Woodling in question is a willing Humanoid, and you OK with byproducts of the transformation (-2 to all mental abilities, loss of fly speed), there is a possibility to get their servitude for a year and a day...