PDA

View Full Version : Player Help help with build concept d&d 3.5

samduke
2020-04-14, 05:49 AM
So what I am looking at build wise is a desert warrior type.
What I have so far
Thri-Kreen (SS non psionic version) LA+1
Dungeonbred (Dungeonscape p112)

Swashbuckler 3 / Fighter 2 / Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1 / ?? 13

considering anointed knight but not committed

so for the odd 13 levels is where i am looking for thoughts on prestige classes that would fit the whole desert warrior idea.
I am not a huge fan of stuff from sandstorm so lets avoid that but any reasonable ideas I would consider

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-04-14, 10:58 AM
What's the starting level, and what level do you reasonably expect to reach?

I'd go Swordsage in Tome of Battle, focusing on the Desert Wind maneuvers, but the other disciplines should have plenty of fitting options as well. Use the unarmed variant, make unarmed strikes as primary attacks for iterative attacks with your elbows, using multiweapon fighting to gain offhand attacks, and you'll still get all four claws and the bite as secondary natural weapon attacks. Be sure to get multiattack and maybe even improved multiattack. Wear gloves of the balanced hand to get improved multiweapon fighting.

samduke
2020-04-14, 02:24 PM
What's the starting level, and what level do you reasonably expect to reach?

I'd go Swordsage in Tome of Battle, focusing on the Desert Wind maneuvers, but the other disciplines should have plenty of fitting options as well. Use the unarmed variant, make unarmed strikes as primary attacks for iterative attacks with your elbows, using multiweapon fighting to gain offhand attacks, and you'll still get all four claws and the bite as secondary natural weapon attacks. Be sure to get multiattack and maybe even improved multiattack. Wear gloves of the balanced hand to get improved multiweapon fighting.

level 20 with epic in the future, and swordsage is not a bad option, looking for more full bab and not so much tome of battle stuff

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-04-14, 03:01 PM
level 20 with epic in the future, and swordsage is not a bad option, looking for more full bab and not so much tome of battle stuff

At that level you need 9th level spells or equivalent, and/or to be able to deal enough damage to drop any opponent in a single round, to stay relevant to the party and avoid becoming a sidekick.

I'd do something like a Spellthief 1/ Ardent 4/ Psychic Assassin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) 6/ Slayer (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) 9+. You'll need Practiced Manifester, pick Mind Cripple for your PA special ability, and possibly use an Avenger (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) variant of Psychic Assassin. Always use Substitute Powers (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) with Ardent. Keep in mind that the text trumps the table when the two disagree, and the text of Psychic Assassin says it advances your manifesting at the 5th level.

That gets 9th level powers and a +16 BAB at 20th level, and you'll deal 2 Int damage per sneak attack, a creature reduced to Int 0 is unconscious until they recover at least one point. I'd go with the Freedom, Time, and Destruction mantles, use Hidden Talent to get an extra 1st level power, and make use of Expanded Knowledge to get choice powers throughout the build.

Buufreak
2020-04-15, 12:39 AM
Don't kreen start with rhd?

Gruftzwerg
2020-04-15, 07:13 AM
Don't kreen start with rhd?

IIRC the +1LA version still has 2 RHD and thus only leaves 11 levels to fill.

+ 7 lvls of "unarmed monk dmg" progress
+ Monk's Belt (adds +5 lvls of unarmed progress)
+ 3 lvls in First of the Forest (add "2 steps" of unarmed monk progress)
= 20th lvl monk unarmed dmg (2d10)
( 10/11 lvls filled. 1 lvl free for a non monk unarmed strike progressing prc)

Feats:
- Beast Strike
- Multiweapon Fighting
- Improved MWF
- Greater MWF

Beast Strike (2d10 + 1d4) allows to add your claw dmg to your unarmed strikes and can be used with flurry.
Add a Necklace of Natural Attack with Sizing to size em up to colossal size (12d8 + 3d6 for a -8 penalty to hit due to different size; still counts as light weapon due to unarmed rules).
leaves 1 lvl to play around.

The build has enough lvls in full bab classes to get over +16BAB for the 4th attack per round.
Add 3 x 3 offhand attacks for 13 attacks per round. 14 with flurry (if you have/take it).

If you don't want flurry i would have a look at Swordsage from ToB which will give you some cool maneuvers to work with and some nice free stuff. Otherwise have a look at all the Monk prc out there that progress unarmed strike.

Buufreak
2020-04-15, 01:01 PM
IIRC the +1LA version still has 2 RHD and thus only leaves 11 levels to fill.

stuff

Not seeing at all how any of that is either full bab, non tob, or desert feel.

But thanks for the validation on the rhd.

Gruftzwerg
2020-04-15, 01:28 PM
Not seeing at all how any of that is either full bab, non tob, or desert feel.

But thanks for the validation on the rhd.

swordsage was just mentioned as still imho the best option. but it isn't limited to that.

Further, even when rare, there are (pr)classes that progress unarmed strike and have full BAB like Battle Dancer. Or go for Tashalatora feat with Slayer (since the build path I suggested only needs 10 of the remaining 11 lvls this option would fit perfect into it, since you need a lvl in a psionic class to enter Slayer). Further there are multiclassing feats for monks that let other classes progress your unarmed strike (IIRC for Paladins and Rangers).
So many options to choose from^^
And a google search might bring some more options for full BAB monk unarmed strike.

Fist of the Forest is already full BAB. So no problem to build the suggested path with full BAB if it is really that mandatory.

Beast Strike and unarmed combat with claws are desert feeling imho. Monkish (pr)classes tend to give movementspeed bonuses and traveling long distances is also desert themed.
And if he would stick to a Swordsage, he could get Desert Wind maneuvers. How is that not desert related..? And last, Fist of the Forest can easily be also Desert fluffed. It's not like it would have any tree or water based abilities just because Forest is part of its name. Remember, your character doesn't have a (multi-)class plate hovering over his head. Class abilities and their rules define your possible character fluff and not the names of the classes you pick (in most chases, with a few exceptions).

RNightstalker
2020-04-15, 03:02 PM
A third level of Swashbuckler, two more levels of Fighter to open up Weapon Specialization, and do the ten level Dervish...it will kinda play on your intended theme.

samduke
2020-04-15, 06:18 PM
while I appreciate the thoughts and yes I left off the RHD intentionally.

current plan is RHD 2/LA 1/swashbuckler 3/fighter 4/pounce barbarian 1/anointed knight 10/OA weapon master kensai 7 and yes again I am thinking ahead for those epic levels