PDA

View Full Version : The Templest... Brain storming.

TimeWizard
2007-10-24, 06:19 PM
Now that I have your attention with that bad pun, I need some help. I am a total newbie to homebrew so....
The Druid. Shape-shifter. Master of Many Forms. Even better shape-shifter. Swarm Lord. Swarm-shifter. Oozemaster. ...Just don't go there- trust me.

So DnD has a lot of shape shifting, but I crave something more! I'm looking for a (prestige?) class that can apply various templates the way druids shapeshift. Since my Home-Brew Kung Fu is weak, I was hoping you Vets could give me a hand brainstorming what this class would be like or if it would work.

*In case you missed it, Templest= Template+Templar+Tempest*
**The Tempest is a Play**
***It's by Shakespeare***
****It's what Brave New World is named for****

TimeWizard
2007-10-25, 05:09 PM
The Template Changer- a PrC designed mainly for non-casters who want to try templates out. For those who envy wildshape. For those who don't want to actually deal with a Shade/Vampire/Evil Incarnate, but want a piece of the power. (More then just diet wild-shape for Warrior/Adventurers!)

Basic Mechanic of Class: Adopt a template that is beneficial for the needs of the moment. A versatilist.

The notes I have on the Template Changer (templater for short): As a full round action that provokes an attack of oppertunity, the templater may adopt any template available in DnD. The primary result from a level in the templater is X amount of Template Points. Template Points (TP) are traded one a one-for-one basis with the Level Adjustment, so a template with +1 LA costs one TP. +3 LA= 3 TP. I have a sort of split decision between acquiring templates:

A) The templater is like a sorceror. He spends TP to learn a template (when he levels up), but can switch between known templates whenever he takes a full round action.

B) The templater is like a wizard. He has no limit to the number of known Templates, but must spend TP every time he shifts. The Templater has a 'pool' of TP, which is fully replenished when he rests for eight hours. Learning a new template comes from research which cost time and money.

In addition, some class features along the lines of:
Twin Templates: Ability to have two templates active simultaneously.
Speed Switich: Reduces time it takes to switch templates, Full round (AoO), Full round (no AoO), Standard, Move, Swift.

I'm thinking Moderate BAB, 4 Skill Points, D8 HP, 1 good save.

Needs Work: Balance, Class Skills, Saves.

Opinions and advice please!

Vadin
2007-10-25, 05:53 PM
Why not have both the sorcerer inspired and wizard inspired versions?

One has fewer but easier accessed templates, the other has more versatility but they'll be doing a lot less templating.

AjaxTorbin
2007-10-25, 06:49 PM
lets see, prestige class that shape shift?
the Master transmorifist from complete arcane
and master of many forms from complete adnevturer
are just the start.
anyway, look at the Geomancer prestige class in complete Divine.
if you combine that with some type of Warlock advancement tree and ime sure you could make a realy cool class.