PDA

View Full Version : Shaper of Form's Renaissance ability

SimonMoon6
2020-04-14, 04:39 PM
The shaper of form (prestige class from Dragon Compendium) has the option to take the Renaissance ability, which states "The shaper of form changes race, gender, or general physical appearance."

My question is, how strict is the "or" in that ability. If they change race, can they not also change gender or physical appearance? Or should it mean that they can change any or all of those qualities?

So a blonde male elf who becomes a halfling... is he required to become a blonde male halfling, or can he become a red-headed female halfling?

I know, I know, it's probably an "ask your DM" question, but I don't have a DM at the moment, so I'd like some other thoughts on the matter.

Segev
2020-04-14, 04:52 PM
The shaper of form (prestige class from Dragon Compendium) has the option to take the Renaissance ability, which states "The shaper of form changes race, gender, or general physical appearance."

My question is, how strict is the "or" in that ability. If they change race, can they not also change gender or physical appearance? Or should it mean that they can change any or all of those qualities?

So a blonde male elf who becomes a halfling... is he required to become a blonde male halfling, or can he become a red-headed female halfling?

I know, I know, it's probably an "ask your DM" question, but I don't have a DM at the moment, so I'd like some other thoughts on the matter.

I know that this is actually contraindicated by how colloquial speech often differentiates between "and," "or," and "and/or," but in logic and in technically-correct English (including American English), "or" and "and/or" are actually the same thing, denotatively.

Which is to say, it's a safe and accurate reading of the RAW to say that the "or" is inclusive, there. You can change race, gender, and/or general physical appearance.

Now, it's possible the writers intended it to be an exclusive or, but I find that unlikely, given how little impact two of the three things there has, mechanically.