PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Hut vs Galder's Tower

Falconcry
2020-04-14, 10:58 PM
My wizard is coming up on his level 3 spells. Based on the discussions, debates, etc. on if there is a floor beneath Leomund's Tiny Hut, would that make Galder's Tower far superior? Why use a ten person bivouac vs a two (or more) level stone tower with twice the space plus amenities?

I have not asked my DM on a ruling on floors yet but making a stone floor would seem preferable to plain dirt in my opinion.

I realize I can have both spells, one for ritual if I am out of 3rd level spell slots.

Curious if folks would take the hut over the tower?

Zhorn
2020-04-14, 11:40 PM
Putting aside Tiny Hut being in the PHB, while Galder's Tower is from Lost Laboratory of Kwalish (not a printed module, so it's officialness is closer to that of UA or Grungs);

The biggest part for me choosing Tiny Hut over Galder's Tower is the space it takes up. If exploring a cave system or mega dungeon, it'll be fair easier to find a space of sufficient size to cast Tiny Hut in compared to Galer's Tower.

Then there's concealment. The hut is easier to hide than the tower, and nothing announces "here's where a bunch of adventurers are sleeping" less subtly than a 2+ story tower.

Now if viable locations and concealment are not an issue, and you have the slots for it, sure I'd rate Galder's Tower as the go to, but for day-to-day adventuring I'd have Leomund's Tiny Hut in my spellbook first.

AdAstra
2020-04-14, 11:45 PM
Note that at 100 square feet per floor, a square Galder's Tower is only 10 feet to a side, while Leomund's Tiny Hut is a 10 foot radius sphere, which should give a floor area of ~314 square feet. So Leomund's tiny hut offers theoretically a touch more floorspace even if you count the Tower's roof as a separate "floor".

In addition, Leomund's Tiny Hut is a ritual (as you've noted), making it far more practical for say, secure short rests, and means you don't have to conserve slots to have a safe refuge. In addition the Hut is (presumably) invulnerable, while it's highly unlikely that Galder's Tower is intended to be.

Anymage
2020-04-14, 11:48 PM
You seem to acknowledge that one is a ritual while the other isn't, and that in and of itself is a huge draw.

JackPhoenix
2020-04-14, 11:49 PM
The tower is absurdly tiny compared to the hut. The hut has more than 50% larger surface area than both of the tower's floor put together... each floor is either 10' square or 5.6' (and change) radius circle.

Lord Vukodlak
2020-04-15, 03:26 AM
Hut is the superior spell no doubt take tiny hut first.

The towers only real advantage is that it persists for 24 hours even if the caster leaves the area. You can leave the tower go adventuring come back and the tower is still there even if the wizard has been rendered unable to

And it can house more then nine medium creatures. So say if your sheltering from a storm you could leave the tower and go rescue some people and bring them back with out it vanishing

You can squeeze a bunch of people into the tower but tiny hut automatically fails if you put more then nine people inside.

But that still doesn’t change the fact that Hut is superior.

Contrast
2020-04-15, 03:31 AM
The towers only real advantage is...

I mean personally the main advantage is that its a much cooler spell. Summoning a wizards tower is way more badass than some dome of force.

That said one being a ritual and one not is a really huge deal. Hut is definitely the superior spell generally speaking.

Lord Vukodlak
2020-04-15, 04:08 AM
I mean personally the main advantage is that its a much cooler spell. Summoning a wizards tower is way more badass than some dome of force.

That said one being a ritual and one not is a really huge deal. Hut is definitely the superior spell generally speaking.
Being a ritual is what gives Hut the crushing edge. The spells might actually be more balanced if Tower was a ritual and Hut was not.

Petrocorus
2020-04-15, 04:25 PM
Can you cast Galder's Towers one above the other to make a 4-stories tower?
That could maybe be an interesting way of building something as an off-time activities.

Segev
2020-04-15, 04:33 PM
Can you cast Galder's Towers one above the other to make a 4-stories tower?
That could maybe be an interesting way of building something as an off-time activities.

If it only lasts 24 hours, you're not building anything to last.

Sounds like the spell is pretty obscure, too; it's from an adventure module?

Falconcry
2020-04-15, 04:34 PM
For every spell level used you add another level to the tower. Bedroom, washroom/sauna, dining room, study, observatory etc. Once you get to 7th level spots though you are getting into Mordenkenkainen's Magnificent Mansion which has much more square footage as well as safer.

It's from Lost Laboratory of Kwalish. If you cast it with the same configuration everyday for a year - permanent.

Segev
2020-04-15, 04:40 PM
For every spell level used you add another level to the tower. Bedroom, washroom/sauna, dining room, study, observatory etc. Once you get to 7th level spots though you are getting into Mordenkenkainen's Magnificent Mansion which has much more square footage as well as safer.

It's from Lost Laboratory of Kwalish

Is that a module, a third party book, a splat...?

Interestingly, another 7th level spell, mirage arcane, can also create massive mansions to stay in. For actual comforts of home, I strongly suggest Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion, since it comes with food, A/C, and an army of servants. But if you've got the illusion spell already and all you want is shelter, you can do pretty darned well. Fully-tactile illusions are hax. (Illusionists just cheat harder with it.)

Even more fun, though, is that you can combine the two. Mirage arcane lasts for days, and Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion could easily have its door be placed just to the other side of an illusory door that's part of the mirage. If you can get a good way to set up windows in the mansion to look out on points in the plane its door connects to, you can complete the illusion while keeping your place dimensionally secure.

If "sealing" the mansion's door just makes it vanish, then you can have people open the illusory door and enter into what looks like an entirely empty version of the same thing. If it doesn't, you can use Malleable Illusions to subtly move the illusory door five feet to the right and do the same thing.

Petrocorus
2020-04-15, 05:25 PM

And at level 8, you have Mighty Fortress from XGE.
But i was wondering if with time you could accomplish a cheaper version of it with Galder's Tower.

BloodBrandy
2020-04-16, 01:09 AM
If you are traveling, Tiny hut is better. You will be better protected from all angles, it's harder to destroy and it has more space.

If you are staying in the same general area, Tower is better because it eventually becomes permanent, allowing a home base for your team (Granted, it requires a cast per day for a year) and it's more actively defensible since you can fire spells from within it, where Tiny Hut doesn't allow spells to move through it's walls. That said, you can damage the tower like you would...well, a Tower

Falconcry
2020-04-16, 03:40 AM
Sounds like the floor / no floor has been put to rest. Guess I'll grab Hut and Fireball at level 5 (6 really due to multiclass). Thanks folks. I think the scribe in me just wanted the free ink from the study.

Segev
2020-04-16, 09:16 AM
Sounds like the floor / no floor has been put to rest. Guess I'll grab Hut and Fireball at level 5 (6 really due to multiclass). Thanks folks. I think the scribe in me just wanted the free ink from the study.

You're a wizard; you can always make a point of hunting down a copy of the spell you don't pick up but do want.

I've been stingier than I like to be, as a DM, with spell availability due to what the module seems to be telling me is the scarcity of spellbooks and people willing to trade them. But even so, if my wizard player has a specific spell he wants, I've been more able to give him chances to actually hunt it down. (What I haven't been willing to do is make up large lists of spells that are available, when that doesn't seem to be backed up as being available in general in the setting.)