PDA

View Full Version : Help Me pick My next ASI

DevilMcam
2020-04-15, 05:28 AM
Hi playgound.

I am currently playing a conquest Paladin at lvl 7, and i am pondering what to take as my level 8 ASI That will most likely happen at the end of the current dungeon.

Our group consist of :
- a Powerhouse Zealot dwarf barbarian with 20 STR and Great weapon master.
- a Shifter Inquisitive Rogue
- another Powerhouse Dwarf battlemaster Fighter (sword and board) that does a good job of handing temp HPs
- a human Moon Druid
- Myself, Protector aasimar Conquest Paladin (I have the regular feature, not the permanent wings). I do plan on going straight paladin for a long while

A quick recap on my character backstory : Lucy (my character) is a girl from a small village that discoved she was special when she got attacked by a vampire and said was the one to get hurt.
From what we discovered she seems to be the reincarnation of one of the Great priestess of Amaunator (we found a painting of that is ecactly her, but in a 600 year old dungeon) nd the aformentionned vampire seems to hate her specifically because he was cursed by said priestess.
She took on a life of adventuring to become a hero worthy of the praise she got in her hometown.
She used to pray to Bane for strength, but according to our last encounter with a Tyranodeus Rex that spoke in echoing voice claiming to be the god of fear and war, their relationship my be 'complicated' (he may or may not have a personnal grudge against her after having to Blow a legendary resistance to resist a "Command : Kneel". And he also was resistant to radiant damage, with the specific exception from her smites, weird)

As far as magic items go we have :
- a +1 shortsword that deals 1d8 bonus lightning dmage against orcs (in the hands of the fighter)
- a 'Lucky' Glave forged by the barbarian that let us reroll 1s on hit/damage (only once per short rest and only on the weapon dice itself), currently in my hands
- a Fiery Greatsword tht does light but nothing else (aside beeing magical)
- 'the Crown of Summer' a legendary Crown forged ages ago by a faery Queen that currently gives +2 CHA and when I heal other with lay on hands they deal extra fire damage on their next attack (it has written "Lucy's" in big plot letters on it).
- There will likely be more to come but I don't know since we haven't found them yet (and are not on a quest to find specific items either)

My Current stats are :
STR : 14, DEX : 12, CON:14, INT : 11, wis : 12 ,CHA : 22(including magic items)

I am looking for something Flavorfull and decently powerfull. My default choice would have been +2 STR to be able to get myself a plate armor but i'm looking for suggestions.
The other party member usually make the heavy lifting in combat when we are talking about damage (especially the Dwarves who crank up some 80ish DPR each when they really go at it)

Please note : I will not take the inspiring leader feat not wish to multiclass at that point, I know how it is both strong and fitting but I don't want that from the character so there is no need to try to sell me that

asradur
2020-04-15, 05:56 AM
So am i understanding it correctly that you dont care too much about damage output and would prefer to improve your battlefield-control even more?
Then there are alternatives to +2 STR

For Plate you only need 15 in STR so you could put 1 in STR and 1 in CON to prepare for a Resilient (Con) on level 12 for some really nice concentration saves

Or pick up Heavy Armor Master for that 15 STR, since its level 8 the damage reduction is not that busted anymore but still nice to have

The there are the two usual Conquest Feats Warcaster and Sentinel but since they dont improve your armor and with such a melee heavy team someone probably already took Sentinel i would put them low on the list

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-15, 07:35 AM
Or pick up Heavy Armor Master for that 15 STR, since its level 8 the damage reduction is not that busted anymore but still nice to have
HAM looks like a real good call here.

DevilMcam
2020-04-15, 07:42 AM
Noone in the party has sentinel already but I feel like this interact poorly with my low strength and the reach on my weapon.
what do you think?

Also the fighter Does have heavy Armor Master, so it kinda feel like stepping on his toes.

CTurbo
2020-04-15, 01:21 PM
I hate to be "boring" but I would take +2 Str for Plate armor and to have better attacks.

Expired
2020-04-15, 02:12 PM
You do not have the ability scores needed to maximize your AC (heavy armor requires 15 Str and medium armor needs 14 Dex for +2 AC). Also, are you attacking using Dex or Str? Would you consider a 1 level dip in Hexblade Warlock for Hex Warrior and the ability to use Cha as your attack stat?

1Pirate
2020-04-15, 09:07 PM
How attached are you to that glaive and do you generally do anything with your bonus action or reaction? Polearm Master will basically give you a bonus action attack(it's a d4, but as a Paladin you're a little less about the die and a little more about the smites) and you can often pick up an extra Attack of Opportunity.

That being said, I think HAM or Str +2 might be the way to go since you're going to want that extra AC at some point.

Warlush
2020-04-15, 09:34 PM
I salute you for not multiclassing into sorcerer or hexblade. I would second some and say +2 to strength would be my 1st choice. A close second would be the magic initiate feat. Get a ranged damage cantrip and save cantrip and a spell. With a CHA of 22 it would be pretty usefull.

DevilMcam
2020-04-16, 03:11 AM
I am fairly attached to the glaive for story reasons but I do sometime put it aside in favor for a shield.

My bonus actions are some timefree, some time used for spiritual weapon. I tend to deal my damage with spirit weapon and the aasimar racial rather than smites, conserving my spells for some crowd control. but sometimes You got to smite those wicked things.

I did Think about PAM, but with my abysmal STR, I didn't think that the d4+2 would be a very efficient use of my bonus action

Expired
2020-04-16, 04:22 AM
I am fairly attached to the glaive for story reasons but I do sometime put it aside in favor for a shield.

My bonus actions are some timefree, some time used for spiritual weapon. I tend to deal my damage with spirit weapon and the aasimar racial rather than smites, conserving my spells for some crowd control. but sometimes You got to smite those wicked things.

I did Think about PAM, but with my abysmal STR, I didn't think that the d4+2 would be a very efficient use of my bonus action
If you dip 3 levels into Hexblade Warlock and take the Pact of the Blade, you can attack using your Cha with your Glaive. Regardless, I would definitely either get Str to 15 for heavy armor or Dex to 14 for medium armor.

DevilMcam
2020-04-16, 04:38 AM
Please note : I will not take the inspiring leader feat not wish to multiclass at that point, I know how it is both strong and fitting but I don't want that from the character so there is no need to try to sell me that

I must admit I did not consider Dex. but it does seems to bring strictly less than STR, would you care to elaborate on that?

Spankinstein
2020-04-17, 01:34 PM
Since you have a couple solid front liners already, you can afford to hang back until melee begins. Soon you’ll be opening with the Fear spell and locking the enemies in place for your team to lay the smack down. The Shield Master feat could further set your team up to make even shorter work of them by knocking your foes prone where they are stuck.

Sam113097
2020-04-17, 02:02 PM
I agree with what a few others mentioned here: take Mage Initiate: Sorcerer or Mage Initiate: Warlock to get some cantrips that are based off of your already-crazy-good charisma and an extra spell slot for your smites/another utility spell.

N810
2020-04-17, 02:20 PM
maybe Resilient ?

Choose one ability score. You gain the following benefits:
Increase the chosen ability score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain proficiency in saving throws using the chosen ability.

It might help shore up some of your weaknesses.

Although in this group you are likely doing all the healing...
So how about Medic ?

You master the physician's arts, gaining the following benefits:
Increase your Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain proficiency in the Medicine skill. If you are already proficient in the skill, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with it.
During a short rest, you can clean and bind the wounds of up to six willing beasts and humanoids. Make a DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check for each creature. On a success, if a creature spends a Hit Die during this rest, that creature can forgo the roll and instead regain the maximum number of hit points the die can restore. A creature can do so only once per rest, regardless of how many Hit Dice it spends.