PDA

View Full Version : Your Saddest Moment

Matuka
2020-04-15, 10:19 AM
What was your saddest moment(s) in your campaign? If you have questions about what I mean lease ask.

Quertus
2020-04-15, 07:57 PM
I suppose it might have been when Armus discovered that the monsters we had been fighting we actually the (transformed) abducted children that we had been "hired" to find.

PopeLinus1
2020-04-16, 03:44 AM
I suppose it might have been when Armus discovered that the monsters we had been fighting we actually the (transformed) abducted children that we had been "hired" to find.

What is wrong with your DM?

The saddest moment in my campaign was when I nudged a die once. I broke down crying three minutes later of course, burdened by the weight of my sin.

We never played again.

Roger_Druid
2020-04-16, 06:29 AM
Hi,

I wanted to play an Arcane Trickster (Dnd v5.0) and the DM wanted for our party (a Ranger, a war Priest and a custom-made Knight) to start from Level 5. Also, he introduced some house rules, mostly in order to render wounds (both ours and our foes’) "more real-ish". I had played a lot of characters since then, mostly ADnD 2nd ed. and DnD v3.5, but never a Rogue or a Wizard. To tell the truth, I had some troubles with the spells (I never seemed to remember range or damage figures) and the way battles were played (when to play the various ‘Action’, i.e. typical, bonus, and re-action), so my party weren’t that tolerant to me; the DM was. So, I resolved to study my next moves between my partners’ moves and mine; of course, thus, I couldn’t pay very attention to what they were doing in detail... But, what the h**k, I chose to play a CN character! The DM house rules included to calculate core and combat HPs, from our total HPS; should we or a foe reach core HPs (mainly level # plus CON modifier), then a number of our actions could not be performed. So, we happened in a ‘nest’ of Gnolls, commanded by some Drows. We managed to deal with the latter and I looted the corpse of the main foe; the DM said that, among, other things, he had a bottle of something that reminded me of a ‘Potion of Healing’ that restores (2d4 + 2)HPs. I decided to drink it, explicitly stating that I’m willing to risk trying the unknown substance, hoping that it would restore me (I was at core HPs). Unfortunately, I rolled a <1 + 3>, so I gained little HPs back... The battle went on with the pack of Gnolls; at first it went well, I managed to clear a fair share of our foes until i got separated from the party (my bad) and three (3) ‘fresh’ Gnolls attacked me. I could flee but I would be surrounded any choice I took; so, I fought, cleared those Gnolls, but again I remained with only a core HP... So, the DM used his house rules; I couldn’t anymore run, only move at 1/4 speed... In the meantime, the party had also cleared a lot of the pack and therefore I could <Disengage>, <Dash>, and <Dash> next round without the DM’s house rules. A fresh batch of three Gnolls came to me next round, I opted to move and attack and clear two of the Knight’s ones (I had initiative), but as soon as they caught up to me they ate me alive... The Knight could not help me. The rest of the party managed to keep alive, the remaining Gnolls subdued to them, so they opted to start exploring the keep we were on. At some point, they found a storage room with... what else? ... some healing potions! The Ranger examined them and to his obvious question about their potential, the DM replied that they were potions of ‘Greater Healing’ that restore (4d4 + 4)HPs, that were, I quote, ‘the same as the one the Drow chief carried on him when he was slayed’!!! Now, I admit, should the DM had ruled correctly before, a minimum of only 4HPs would I had gained... But a maximum of 10Hps! A median of 7Hps! That would have been enough for my character to <Disengage>, <Dash>, and <Dash> the crucial round I could not do much else than move and attack; with a cleared floor I would have survived! A great sorrow assaulted me then and I made the mistake to fell into my rage and wordily attacked the DM. Bottom line, I left the party and to this day I do not know whether they continue to play or not. Thus, my story teaches a lesson: never agree to any house rules, to my opinion the game is already balanced.

Roger

Kid Jake
2020-04-16, 01:41 PM
I'd say it's a tossup between two PC deaths.

Either in my Mutants and Masterminds campaign, when the violent psychopath Roger McCrow caused his own heart to explode trying to stop a wall of water from drowning the city, and by his extension his sons. It actually provided decent closure for the character; so it was sad but still satisfying.

Or in my Pathfinder campaign, when two life-long friends realized they couldn't both have the outcome they wanted for their citizens and when they came to blows the stronger of the two simply used his magic to force his friend to kneel while he bound and surgically disabled him. This was a very unsatisfying conclusion that felt like a lamb being led to slaughter and I think on it a lot...

OnceIWasABard
2020-04-16, 10:34 PM
When I lost a saving throw to Disintegrate by 1. :smallfrown:
Definitely took Lucky on the next character.

Sam113097
2020-04-18, 01:30 PM

Ouch!

In my current campaign, it was the death of Damen, our Trickery Cleric. He has grown up an urchin, gifted with a strange connection to a god called the Burning Lord, but had repeatedly escaped from the religion’s temple, refusing to accept their claim that he was destined to serve as a high priest. Over the course of the campaign, Damen grew from a selfish con-man into a genuinely caring, compassionate cleric that tried to use his divine magic to help those in need. Finally, during the search for a powerful cultist, he returned to his home city and had the chance to confront the Burning Lord’s high priestess. He and the party were able to convince her that he could serve their god better by going out into the world and helping people than by being a priest stuck in a temple. (He also learned that the evil cultist had been capturing street urchins, many of which were Damen’s old friends)

It was a great moment, and after the session, the player messaged me, letting me know that he felt that Damen’s arc had come to a close, and he would like to retire the character. We came up with a couple options: Damen could just retire from adventuring after taking down the cultist, and I would also work in a “heroic sacrificial moment” into the upcoming boss fight that Damen could take if he chose to.

The boss fight with The Priest of the Broken God was wild. The players learned over the course of the battle that the cultist was actually a sort of lich, having split his own mummified corpse into three pieces in a dark spell that created three ceramic duplicates of himself with the pieces of him inside. Each ceramic Priest has a purple gem that held the dark spell around its neck, and in order to kill them, all three had to be destroyed. Things got bad: Priest’s kiln exploded, disarming Damen, our Bard got Crown-of-Madnessed, the Paladin took a boatload of damage destroying the first two gems, and our Sorcerer was down. Finally, the Bard broke free and knocked the final gem into the air. It was Damen’s turn.

I messaged Damen’s player: “It’s your call”

He didn’t message me back. Instead, he rolled a die silently at the table, and then, with epic music playing in at the table, he said “I catch the crystal with my bare hands and fill it with all my divine magic. The result was a purple blast that rocked the chamber, and when the dust and purple flames cleared, the Priest was dead, and so was Damen: his right arm, chest, and eyes had been burnt up by the divine Magic’s collision with the dark spell. He had died to save the party and his friends.

Damen got a high priest’s burial in the next session, surrounded by the people he saved. It was sad, but an amazing D&D experience.

denthor
2020-04-18, 06:18 PM
Hands down. Evil game

We were a party of monsters we forced a woman to watch her baby be used as a football until dead. Then ate it in front of her before killing her.

Continental Op
2020-04-19, 01:46 PM
We were playing AD&D, and I was a Wild Mage. I loved the character and the campaign. Though we were not yet mid-level, we had been through a LOT. I cast a spell on myself outside of combat in the wilderness, I think it was fly, and got a wild surge which "turned the subject to stone." The DM thought about this for awhile, and allowed the cleric to pray to her god for a day to get a special miracle as basically a stone to flesh spell. It was beautiful -- as the sun rose and it touched the statue of my character, it slowly turned him back to life. All I needed to do was make a "system shock" roll; I think I had a 85% chance? And I failed it. The DM thought again for awhile and said, well, your character is dead, so much for this campaign.

It was sad to lose the character, but it was worse to be the catalyst for the DM giving up the campaign. Perhaps the saddest part is that I have never felt comfortable being a wild mage again, and I love that character concept. Haven't even touched it in 5e.

D&D_Fan
2020-04-19, 02:39 PM
The last meeting of a campaign I was running with friends ended with 2 characters dead.
The party was 15th level, and fighting the campaign villain Ray the Wizard. This was the first game I had run with friends so it was pretty simple. The final battle was on a platform standing in a dark abyss with no bottom or top in sight. Ray cast whirlwind and directed it towards the wizard, sorcerer and bard. It managed managed to sweep up the wizard, which damaged him severely. A round or 2 later, the wizard got out of the whirlwind with a successful 20 Dexterity Check. Unfortunately he went flying do to being flung from fast wind. He got shot 120 feet off the platform. He then fell more than 300 feet and died instantly. The next round Ray power word killed the sorcerer, the human fighter went to help the now dead wizard, while the dragonborn fighter killed Ray with help from the bard. The party realized they realistically had no way to bring back their friends, and let them pass on. Hopefully the next campaign has a happier ending.

DataNinja
2020-04-19, 02:44 PM
In one game, there had been a bit of a romantic relation been building between the Necromancer in the party, and my Paladin who'd caught her grave-robbing and decided to try and take her away and direct her abilities towards... better things, rather than let the town burn her at the stake. He'd been helping her open up more, and stop sliding towards darkness and evil.

And then we bit off more than we could chew. Took on an encounter with an intelligent evil well above our paygrade. My Paladin got disabled by a spell, the evil was willing to let the others live if he was left there. The others, who were morally ambiguous at best decided to take it... until the necromancer had a change of heart. She helped to save him, and they ran. But it wasn't enough. She got knocked down. He carried her in his arms... and just after exiting into the outside of the lair, they were struck by a cast lightning bolt. She died in his arms. He got knocked unconscious, dragged back in, and captured to be tortured. It was... poignant.

Pex
2020-04-20, 11:36 AM
I know you mean in game, but for me it's always when the gaming group ends because real life gets in the way.

Matuka
2020-04-20, 02:44 PM
I know you mean in game, but for me it's always when the gaming group ends because real life gets in the way.

That works just as well. I'm in a similar situation, but I'm currently racing against the clock to get my campaign done before time is up.

Angrith
2020-04-20, 10:09 PM
My saddest is also my most heroic. I was GM and our PCs were at the end of the campaign. They just needed to protect the herbalist from a zombie siege while she finished the antidote that would save the village. AS part of this zombie siege, cultists would duck in to set her lab on fire. To make matters more difficult, the zombies were using tactics as they were actively controlled by nearby cultists.

The cleric is on the front lines mopping up zombies and tanking hits. Eventually he goes down, but that's ok. The zombies aren't delivering killing blows, because the cult is prioritizing active defenders. The last cultists appears, trying to burn own the lab, and the party knows they've almost made it through. The rogue takes aim at the last cultist, only to lower her blow realizing that to kill the cultist would release all the zombies, one of which was in position to coup de grace the downed cleric. The party decides that it's worth it and takes the shot. The cultist goes down, and the zombie comes up in the initiative order. Now, I try to be a fairly lenient GM, and the cleric was a new player. This was maybe his third game ever. I'm sitting there, trying to figure out how to avoid his inevitable death and let him share the victory when he catches my eye. "Do it," he says. I nod and roll the dice. The zombie crits and rips the cleric's throat out. Seeing the player's willing sacrifice nearly brought a tear to my eye.

The Fury
2020-04-20, 11:18 PM
One of the last campaigns I played in was an unexpectedly emotional one for me. The character I was playing had a rough life. She was an adopted kid that got conscripted into a local militia when she was still way too young, didn't really have friends and was implied to not have a very loving relationship with her adopted family. She still cared a great deal about her adopted family and spent most of the campaign going out of her mind over being unsure if she can protect them.

One of the NPCs that began travelling with the group had befriended my character. This was probably the most kindness and affection she had ever been shown. A little later, some of the darker parts of my character's personality started to emerge. Mainly, she was increasingly willing to take some cruel actions, even preemptively killing fairly harmless people to keep the group safe. This actually horrified the NPC, and she started to reject my character. Even saying to her face, "I can't trust you anymore... I'm afraid of what you'll do."

At this point, the NPC would no longer accept direct help from my character, even when my character was the only one willing to step up. Before my character was willing to accept that she's not a good person, if it meant that she could stop something bad from happening. Losing her only friend made her rethink that.

In case anyone is wondering, things did eventually get better. My character actually started to make efforts to be a better person, and found out that she could still indirectly help her NPC friend and did so. Both characters survived the campaign, though I don't know if they actually reconciled. I'm not sure what happened with my character's adopted family either.

RedMage125
2020-04-22, 02:15 PM
So this is actually a way I made my players sad when I was DM.

3.5e game, players had been captured, but made their way out of the cells and recovered their stuff. As they progressed through the (literal) dungeon, they found themselves in a hallway lined with cells, 3 on each side. The entire room was dark, but the ceiling was high, and each cell was quite large.

Something floated up to the bars on their right. It was a beholder. It's central eye had been removed, and all the eye stalks cut and cauterized.

Across from the beholder was a mind flayer with a scar across it's forehead. It had been operated on, and while still able to speak, it did not have the psionic power to so much as command a rat.

Next to the mind flayer was a medusa. Her eyes had been gouged out and her head "shaved".

Across from the medusa (so, next to the beholder) was a lich. He was quite calm, introduced himself as Bernard [OOC note, he's a True Neutral Divination Wizard]. He basically became a lich to live forever so he could scry on the world and record history, but their captors (whom he revealed as the leaders of a diabolist cult that the players had confronted several levels ago) has his spellbooks and phylactery. So while he could potentially escape on his own, there would be no point.

Next to Bernard was a figure which kept itself hidden under a cloak. Bernard supplied that she was a nymph, but that the diabolists had scarred and mutilated her so badly that she kept herself covered.

And the last cell, across from the nymph was an oddly asymmetrical giant. Turns out, it was an ettin. You know how ettins talk to themselves, because each head is a different personality? The diabolists had removed one head and cauterized the wound. This ettin was very angry and very lost feeling. He vowed "Morg and Torg will...Morg will crush wizards who did this".

When I finished that sentence, my players looked at me, horror and sadness in their eyes. A few of them looked like they had unshed tears. Finally one of them spoke. "Dude! I never thought I'd ever feel sorry for monsters!"

thorr-kan
2020-04-22, 08:56 PM
Now, I try to be a fairly lenient GM, and the cleric was a new player. This was maybe his third game ever. I'm sitting there, trying to figure out how to avoid his inevitable death and let him share the victory when he catches my eye. "Do it," he says.
Three session in and willing tells you to take the shot, at the possible expense of the character? That player's a *keeper.*

Sad for the characters, but should be one of the moments players talk about for years.

Matuka
2020-04-23, 03:42 PM
So this is actually a way I made my players sad when I was DM.

3.5e game, players had been captured, but made their way out of the cells and recovered their stuff. As they progressed through the (literal) dungeon, they found themselves in a hallway lined with cells, 3 on each side. The entire room was dark, but the ceiling was high, and each cell was quite large.

Something floated up to the bars on their right. It was a beholder. It's central eye had been removed, and all the eye stalks cut and cauterized.

Across from the beholder was a mind flayer with a scar across it's forehead. It had been operated on, and while still able to speak, it did not have the psionic power to so much as command a rat.

Next to the mind flayer was a medusa. Her eyes had been gouged out and her head "shaved".

Across from the medusa (so, next to the beholder) was a lich. He was quite calm, introduced himself as Bernard [OOC note, he's a True Neutral Divination Wizard]. He basically became a lich to live forever so he could scry on the world and record history, but their captors (whom he revealed as the leaders of a diabolist cult that the players had confronted several levels ago) has his spellbooks and phylactery. So while he could potentially escape on his own, there would be no point.

Next to Bernard was a figure which kept itself hidden under a cloak. Bernard supplied that she was a nymph, but that the diabolists had scarred and mutilated her so badly that she kept herself covered.

And the last cell, across from the nymph was an oddly asymmetrical giant. Turns out, it was an ettin. You know how ettins talk to themselves, because each head is a different personality? The diabolists had removed one head and cauterized the wound. This ettin was very angry and very lost feeling. He vowed "Morg and Torg will...Morg will crush wizards who did this".

When I finished that sentence, my players looked at me, horror and sadness in their eyes. A few of them looked like they had unshed tears. Finally one of them spoke. "Dude! I never thought I'd ever feel sorry for monsters!"

May I please know what happened to them? The prisoners I mean.

Jay R
2020-04-23, 09:02 PM
We were trying to rescue a bunch of kids from Hell. We had broken the spell, and had our cleric take them back to earth, while we fought a defensive holding action to stop the demons from following.

Finally we got back home. At that point we discovered that our cleric had been murdered and replaced by a demon, so we helped him get off alone with them, where he sacrificed them.

Raijinken
2020-05-02, 11:05 AM
One of which is when I killed my own character in an unconventional way. I did that because I want out! Not only from the group, but from a lousy DM that plays unfairly.

Short story: We were playing D&D 5e. After our group (and a lot of NPCs) took down a rampaging Titan (ala, Attack on Titan) that can move normally and is a bit smarter. After it crashed on the ground, I interrupted the DM by saying: "....as the dust settles, I was nowhere to be seen.". He had everyone do Spot Checks, one of the players succeeded. Before the DM said anything, I got in again saying: "He (the player who succeeded) saw me flying far away from the town towards the horizon, (as I slowly tear-up my character sheet in front of everyone) never to be seen again."

I stood up, thanked them for their time, and walked away.

moonfly7
2020-05-02, 12:23 PM
Arguably the saddest thing that ever happened wasn't when I lost a character, even though I once lost 4 in the span of 6 sessions, but when I was DMing my first campaign. It was 5e, and the game had lasted about a year, with some serious derailing after session 3 that tool the story from what I had planned to "murder that goddess who keeps screwing us over and ruined our lives".
My players and I talked and they told me in no uncertain terms they wanted to 100% murder her. Not just an avatar, but an actual god. No cheap pulls on my part, but mortal to god fighting. So I set up a ridiculously broken monster sheet for her(around the 10 thousands for HP) and set up some ways to weaken her.
Literally the day after the 3rd session the group's wizard, an ultra hilarious really short halfling(he started as 3 foot 2 and by the end was permanently shrunk to 11 inches tall from shenanigans) who was built to be a luck wizard(divination and all that) came to me to discuss something. He was always cracking jokes and even our antisocial monk loved him, but he never had a serious side(his character I mean) but in that private meet he laid out a brilliant plan to give the team an ace in the whole when fighting the goddess. I told him it would be hard, and only usable once since I was letting him get away with a loophole on the rule of cool, and it would take awhile to finish.
Flash forward to the last session, the group is level 20 now, the wizard has an awakened pig with wizard levels as an apprentice. It's the last night before their final battle, and the wizard and pig spend it doing what they've done every night for months: they enter into a bag of holding, and cast glyph of warding as much as they can on the halfling. Since the bag was where it was cast the runes don't dissipate as long as the bags on his person, and after months of this he looks like a second sun to anyone who can see magic.
Cue the fight, they manage to beat the goddesses elite epic level warriors and turn to fight her, the halfling wizard, Lucrio, gets first initiative just like he hoped he would.
He gets in close, and detonated all of his glyphs. He and I expected this attack to deal a good enough portion of damage to give the others a fighting chance, make it possible to win maybe(because all of us feared it might not happen). What happened instead was that he dealt over 60 thousand points of damage in a single round and killed a goddess in one hit. It took forever to add up the damage. And when we finished, we were all surprised.
Then came the sad part: Lucrio's soul was destroyed in the blast. Not even a wish spell could resurrect him. His friends are left a single memory in place of a will, in which they learn that the brave little halfling had a wife and 2 children he had never mentioned. The entire group actually cried during his explanation.
Killing the goddess saved the world but caused massive quakes to change the world's geography, this new land would eventually become the Eberron setting with heavy changes in thousands of years for our next game. Only this world doesn't have a dragon creation myth: they have a myth of a goddess, a dead god, and a brave halfling. And the world isn't called Eberron: it's called Lucrio.

Callos_DeTerran
2020-05-02, 08:40 PM
Hm.

A time I, accidentally, made my players sad was in the finale of a very long running game. Long story short, the players were members of a guild of wizards that wasn't super big so I went out of my way to make each of the guild members more than just a name on the wall. Nothing super complex, just a name, type of magic, and a positive and negative personality trait until the party interacted with them.

Well they interacted with almost ALL of them and they definitely had some favorites here and there, they generally liked all of their guild members.

Come the end of the campaign, their entire guild was doing the whole 'going to war for the sake of the planet' style anime thing and, to raise their investment in the battle and get them hyped, I laid out a bunch of roles that needed to be filled in the battle to keep their guild from being destroyed and left it up to them which guild members filled which roles. I let them know there was a few right and wrong answers but, generally speaking, who they picked for a role would just determine how likely they would be able to succeed at the task. Someone more suited with defensive magic would, for example, have better odds at successfully repelling a wave of attacking minions unharmed or only with injuries while a guild member with offensive magic might be able to do the job, but be injured or even die while performing it.

One of the guild members they knew was an older man named Humbert who was very 'the guild is a family' because he didn't have one of his own who's magic was disguises. The party had gone on a few missions with him but largely respected him because he was surprisingly ruthless in defense of the guild and its members once and it left an impression on them. So when it came time to assign roles for this battle, one big role was powering and using a massive magitech cannon that they had never seen in action before, the Sunflare Arc. They assigned Humbert to it because he was cagey and smart, so they thought he'd pick and choose the right targets and times to fire. Well once the final battle started in earnest, the BBEG and his inner circle started launching a direct magical assault on their guild and that's what the Sunflare was used for to repel the blasts. At first they got excited, cheering Humbert on as he deflected one massive attack after another but on the third or fourth, the cannon faltered and the guild took heavy damage.

When one of the player's asked what happened, if someone had broken in there and stopped Humbert, I didn't even need to say anything. Another player just covered their mouth and said very sadly 'Oh my god, we stuck an old man into a giant gun to supply its ammo' which made the others look at me before another asked 'why didn't he stop firing if he was getting worn out?'

'He told you all, the guild is his family, he wouldn't have stopped as long as he had power to offer. So he offered it all'

A satisfying, badass end to a minor NPC, but it definitely set a tone for the rest of the final battle.

SimonMoon6
2020-05-03, 12:32 PM

Reminds me of the time in a 1st edition game, my character (who was being called "The Chosen One" by some NPCs) ran into a beholder. The beholder used disintegration on my character. I failed the save.

I was kind of in shock, but with grim humor, I laughed, saying, "So much for the chosen one!"

And then the DM fudged things so that I didn't die and the game went on. (We never got to the point where being "The Chosen One" mattered though.)

RedMage125
2020-05-03, 12:56 PM
May I please know what happened to them? The prisoners I mean.

It's been like 17 years, but as I remember, the party defeated the diabolists in the dungeon. The diabolists had a Variable Keyed Portal, and one of the other prisoners (an NPC elf Bard they had encountered before), managed to open the portal to Arvandor. They took most of the monstrous prisoners with them (except Bernard the Lich, once he got his phylactery and spellbooks back, he went back to the undead-infested ruin that he dwelt in to continue to observe history unfold). When the players eventually returned to the home base of the Alliance camp*, they found said bard who debriefed them that they had found a way from Arvandor back to the Prime, and that they'd had a cleric regenerate the monsters as well as they could. The Nymph remained in Arvandor. The medusa and the mind flayer returned to the Underdark. The beholder agreed to serve the Alliance as a sort of artillery for one year, and the ettin straight up joined them.

*The overall campaign was about a surface invasion by the drow. An Alliance of surface races was united to drive them back. The party running in to said diabloists was a result of them finding out that one of the major human families, supposedly helping the Alliance, was not only traitors to the cause, but had actually been part of organizing the entire campaign from the beginning. The diabolists were holed up in the dungeons below that family's mansion.

Pex
2020-05-03, 11:03 PM
Happened last game session. Two mutual friends ended their friendship with each other. One left the campaign.

JAL_1138
2020-05-04, 06:34 AM
When covid-19 required the local gaming community to cancel the annual 3-day charity convention that benefits an area food-bank network.

Vizzerdrix
2020-05-04, 03:27 PM
When I spent 3 weeks working on back story for a character, and the game only lasted one session. That was sad.:smallsigh:

Raijinken
2020-05-06, 12:26 AM
When I spent 3 weeks working on back story for a character, and the game only lasted one session. That was sad.:smallsigh:

Oh yeah, I have something similar to that. Right before CoVid-19, I had to create a new character for a new group. Not only everything was approved by our extremely picky DM (backstory and "add-ons"), this time I got to roll-up insanely great for the scores. Everything is on paper and is raring to go, but unfortunately this poor creature will never see the light of day (let alone session zero). The new players were getting hard to contact (friends of the DM's friend), and I can tell the DM is having "second thoughts" about my character. (but its me)

eyebreaker7
2020-05-07, 02:24 PM
Having a rust monster destroy my vorpal blade :(

Democratus
2020-05-08, 07:40 AM
Out of the Abyss was full of so many sad moments.

I had written several of them here. Then I realized that it might be spoilers for those of you who haven't played yet.

Suffice to say, OotA has more tragedy than any other published 5e module. It's fantastic, but incredibly dark.

I heartily recommend it.