PDA

View Full Version : longitude and latitude

de-trick
2007-10-24, 06:54 PM
my teacher wants me to come up with a legend of how longitude and latitude were created

In the time of old, the world was plagued by serpents that were destroying the world then the powers of the gods found out and stretched the ones called latitude across the earth and the longest evilest serpent was called the equator across the middle of the earth and hid tail was tied to his head, and the sons of the serpents on top or below equator's line. The prime meridian was caught and stretched between the north and south polls. his brothers and sisters were also caught and tethered in the same way,

just longer any way to make it a page long

thubby
2007-10-24, 07:11 PM
the world was flat, and was rolled into a ball, then held that way by said snakes?

Pyro
2007-10-24, 07:45 PM
Hah recently my brother had to make a creation myth for bluegrass music, sorta reminds me of this. It was pretty funny too, but its hand written so I can't really post it here without scanning it in and that never turns out well.

Soups
2007-10-24, 08:31 PM
Have the snakes being stretched by the gods done by demi gods who where racing to do it for fun. they all started from one point(one of the poles) and were surprised to see the ended up at the same point at the same time(opposite pole).

Siligero
2007-10-24, 08:34 PM
If you want it to sound good, work on sentence structure. If you want it to be longer, be more detailed, rather than "There were snakes and then they were evil serpents so the gods made them lines across the earth and the big one was equator." Maybe you could name a few of the gods, describe the terrible deeds of the serpents, et cetera.

Manticorkscrew
2007-10-24, 08:39 PM
Name them 'Platitude' and 'Plongitude'. Obviously, Platitude is the obsequious one while Plongitude is the daft one. Then end with a joke about how they got rid of the 'P'.

de-trick
2007-10-24, 10:06 PM
my next copy

in the beginning of time the world was flat, and there were 2 types of evil flying serpent that plagued the world. The first of the evil serpents were the latitudes lead by equator, who was given the power of fire and destruction from the sun. The serpents of latitude murdered and destroying towns and crops. The equator was father to the rest of the serpents of latitude. The serpents flew flowing the sun their power source east to west. The serpents of longitude had the power of the cold they were lead by the prime meridian who was the serpents eldest wisest brother, of the longitudes. The longitude used the power of the poles and brought the cold of the polls to the middle of the world. The serpents of latitude and longitude flourished for thousands of years till the god Ao came to power. He got sick of the serpents destroying the world, so he grabbed the equator and tied his tail around his head then he grabbed his sons and daughters and tied their tails around their heads. Then Ao changed his action to the prime meridians and his brothers and sister. Ao grabbed the head of Prime meridian and tied it around the north pole and tied his tail around the south pole. Ao did that to the prime meridian's brothers and sisters till there were no more longitudes serpents left. When the last longitude serpent was tied the earth turned into a sphere. A cartographer named coronate mapped out the serpents. And then the serpents died and the serpents were gone forever but remained in the mapmakers head, he put the serpents of the maps he made, and it caught on till it was used on every map made for the lines of the serpents helped coordinate the world and organize maps and globes.

the end

thubby
2007-10-24, 10:16 PM
aside from a few minor grammar hiccups, looks good.
i would make the prime meridian a female (or just make the longitudes as a whole female) and call it meridian prime (sounds better)

StickMan
2007-10-24, 10:34 PM
See now that just seems like fun I wish I had projects like that back in the day.

Exeson
2007-10-25, 01:02 PM
I demand more description! NOW!

But seriously, it sounds good but elaborate more, describe the serpents, describe the gods, describe how the serpents were tied together? with lots of effort? easily?, And did the serpents resist? or did they just lie down and take it?

Another thing that struck me was the phrase 'got sick of'. To me it just sticks out like a sore thumb, go for something like 'grew weary of', or 'grew irate at'. using slang language like got sick of just makes it sound common, very un-legendish.