PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next I have a prblem with the standard array in 5e. Let me bounce this off of you

Cyclops08
2020-04-15, 02:07 PM
I dislike the standard array because I love Feats. If I play anything other than a Var Human, I have to wait until 12th level to get a feat after maxing out my main stat. Typically the standard array allows for only ONE outstanding stat.

How unbalanced would this be if I replaced the array with this?
17, 15, 14, 13, 10, 8 (there always has to be one dump stat). after arranging to taste, add the racial mods.
In my opinion this would be the only way to play a monk...

This would allow a play to excel in two stats right away, and grab a feat at 8th level.

Now I know there are people out there who say, hey if it works for you go for it. My response would be, would this work for you?

Others might say, stats don't really matter anymore. My response would be, would this work for you?

So. Would this work in your campaign? Or would apocalyptic events start to occur?

Segev
2020-04-15, 02:12 PM
I dislike the standard array because I love Feats. If I play anything other than a Var Human, I have to wait until 12th level to get a feat after maxing out my main stat. Typically the standard array allows for only ONE outstanding stat.

17, 15, 14, 13, 10, 8 (there always has to be one dump stat). after arranging to taste, add the racial mods.

This would allow a play to excel in two stats right away, and grab a feat at 8th level.

Now I know there are people out there who say, hey if it works for you go for it. My response would be, would this work for you?

Others might say, stats don't really matter anymore. My response would be, would this work for you?

So. Would this work in your campaign? Or would apocalyptic events start to occur?

I roll stats when I have the option, and I tend to, as a DM, use a rolling system that skews high. I woudn't reject a PC with that stat line, and could make most concepts work with it.

I will point out that maxing out your best stat isn't a requirement to even excel at things in 5e, let alone to merely be capable of the challenges at your level. It's worth doing if you can, but you don't have to rush for it. Take a feat at level 4 if you want. Especially a half-feat; the +1 could even out a stat for you.

There's also point-buy, which lets people have bigger singular stats or reasonably high multiple stats. How high is a function of how many points you hand out.

But, yes, this would work; I wouldn't tell a DM he was insane for allowing his players a statline like this.

JNAProductions
2020-04-15, 05:39 PM
You know what I do? I let players pick six numbers, 3-18, for their pre-racial stats. They can change them at any time before the game starts properly, though once the game is started, they cannot unless something drastic needs to occur.

If you want to play a super MAD Monk/Paladin? Pick higher stats. If you want to play a nicely SAD Wizard or Fighter? Don't go as high. You want lots of feats? Put an 18 in your main stat, and possibly a secondary too.

It's not been an issue for me yet.

Segev
2020-04-15, 05:45 PM
You know what I do? I let players pick six numbers, 3-18, for their pre-racial stats. They can change them at any time before the game starts properly, though once the game is started, they cannot unless something drastic needs to occur.

If you want to play a super MAD Monk/Paladin? Pick higher stats. If you want to play a nicely SAD Wizard or Fighter? Don't go as high. You want lots of feats? Put an 18 in your main stat, and possibly a secondary too.

Not had people just throw 18s in everything? I mean, I believe you if you say you didn't, but I am surprised. Not that players will be willing to play less than "perfect," but that NOBODY has tried it.

JNAProductions
2020-04-15, 06:10 PM
Not had people just throw 18s in everything? I mean, I believe you if you say you didn't, but I am surprised. Not that players will be willing to play less than "perfect," but that NOBODY has tried it.

No one's tried it yet. If they DID do that, I'd politely ask them why they felt the need to have all 18s, and most likely, I'd then ask them to make a new array more in line with the other PCs. If they had a good reason, though... Hey, their PC. They can have fun, so long as they aren't stopping others from also having fun.

Cyclops08
2020-04-15, 07:09 PM

Ya know, I think that shows stats really are not as all important in 5e.
I was expecting to be shot down, but no one has freaked out yet.

That is what I like about this community, you can post an off the wall idea and actually get a conversation.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-04-15, 07:50 PM
Nothing wrong with higher starting stats, not since the bonus applies equally to all players. You might have to turn up encounter difficulty a smidge, but that's not really an issue. To be honest, I'm a fan of ditching ability scores altogether (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?503455-5e-Without-Ability-Scores-skills-Skills-Skills).

OnceIWasABard
2020-04-16, 10:15 PM

Standard array sums up to 72 points before racials, yours sums to 77. The 5 point difference is a small buff, but wouldn't be game-breaking.