PDA

View Full Version : Improvised weapons

Enguhl
2007-10-24, 07:14 PM
So I was reading through Complete Warrior and saw the Drunken Master, and their ability that allows them to use anything (within reason) without taking non-proficiency penalties.
My question: Is there any way besides Drunken Master to get this ability? (I like it ever so much.)

UserClone
2007-10-24, 07:18 PM
Hmmm...homebrew a feat with similar prereqs to those of the Drunken Master class?

Enguhl
2007-10-24, 07:21 PM
Drat, now to convince DM that it's a good idea...

UserClone
2007-10-24, 07:23 PM
Just present it in a reasonable fashion, with reasonable prereqs, and most DMs won't shoot it down, if anything, most might want you to tweak it a bit. Unless your DM is a "by the book" rule Nazi.

Quietus
2007-10-24, 08:04 PM
Ask if you can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Improvised weapons). And when using improvised weapons, compare them to things in the books. I have a character who's ended up wielding a ten-foot length of steel on a regular basis, which we classed as a greatclub.

Was really helpful against a giant ambulatory cannonball... bare fists just don't help much vs them.

Enguhl
2007-10-24, 08:32 PM
Ask if you can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Improvised weapons). And when using improvised weapons, compare them to things in the books. I have a character who's ended up wielding a ten-foot length of steel on a regular basis, which we classed as a greatclub.

Was really helpful against a giant ambulatory cannonball... bare fists just don't help much vs them.

More like great club with reach... and heavier, by alot. I think that would be heavy though. I mean, a cubic inch of steel is like a quarter pound. And if its 10 ft (120 inches) * 3 * 4 (thats probably too small to support itself too) thats 1440 cubic inches.. weighing in at over 400lbs!:smalleek: Thats crazy strength! and over 5d6 damage by Complete Warriors' ruling.

Quietus
2007-10-25, 11:24 AM
More like great club with reach... and heavier, by alot. I think that would be heavy though. I mean, a cubic inch of steel is like a quarter pound. And if its 10 ft (120 inches) * 3 * 4 (thats probably too small to support itself too) thats 1440 cubic inches.. weighing in at over 400lbs!:smalleek: Thats crazy strength! and over 5d6 damage by Complete Warriors' ruling.

Well, we applied some handwavium. Sometimes fun trumps science.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-25, 11:37 AM

Science has no place in a world where dragons breathe fire, gods walk the earth, and your neighbor can stop time by waving his hands and mumbling something under his breath.

Chronos
2007-10-25, 02:17 PM
More like great club with reach... and heavier, by alot. I think that would be heavy though. I mean, a cubic inch of steel is like a quarter pound. And if its 10 ft (120 inches) * 3 * 4 (thats probably too small to support itself too) thats 1440 cubic inches.. weighing in at over 400lbs!It doesn't need to be that heavy. A ten-foot length of steel pipe, outside diameter 1 inch, inside diameter, say, 3/4 inch is quite capable of supporting itself, and would weigh only 11.6 pounds. Which is still pretty hefty for a hand-held weapon, but it'd get the job done.

SoD
2007-10-25, 02:33 PM
Does Drunken Master give proficiency in improvised weapons? I thought it just increased damage...nice.

Person_Man
2007-10-25, 02:35 PM
I've seen many variants of these homebrew feats in several places:

Improvised Weapon Proficiency:

You may use any weapon or object as a club of the same size without taking a penalty to attack for non-proficiency. You still take a penalty to attack if the weapon is inappropriately sized. For example, a human could pick up a medium sized Spiked Chain and wield it as a medium club with no penalties, dealing 1d6 damage with none of the Spiked Chain's bonuses or reach. Similarly, he could pick up a medium sized chair, broom, etc. However, if he picked up a Large sized Spiked Chain, he would still take the -2 penalty for using a weapon of the wrong size. DMs may exclude certain objects from being used in this fashion if he deems them inappropriate for any reason. For example, a medium sized pillow, balloon, etc.

Improvised Weapon Mastery:

Req: Improvised Weapon Proficiency

You never take a size penalty while wielding an improvised weapon. For example, you can pick up a Colossal sized tree trunk and wield it as a Colossal club, dealing 4d6 damage and taking no penalties to hit. You must still have sufficient Strength to lift and reasonably wield the object. DMs may exclude objects that the deem to be inappropriate for any reason. For example, a Colossal sized tree trunk is too large to reasonably wield while in an enclosed space like a dungeon passage.

Enguhl
2007-10-25, 02:46 PM
It doesn't need to be that heavy. A ten-foot length of steel pipe, outside diameter 1 inch, inside diameter, say, 3/4 inch is quite capable of supporting itself, and would weigh only 11.6 pounds. Which is still pretty hefty for a hand-held weapon, but it'd get the job done.

Never thought of a pipe...

Swooper
2007-10-25, 02:49 PM
Alternatively, you could get cursed by your god (http://www.goblinscomic.com/tf8.html) to never use manufactured equipment again. :smallbiggrin: