PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [RPG Recommendation} Valkyria Chronicles Meets Stargate/Farscape

Ninjadeadbeard
2020-04-15, 03:33 PM
I've been thinking about a particular type of gameplay and setting style lately, and now I'm shopping for systems to realize that game for my players. The elevator pitch would be that the Earth gets invaded by planar-aliens in 1903, and once the human race rebuilds, they go off into the universe to colonize new worlds, discover lost secrets, and wage multiversal war against the creatures who attacked them. Players would be soldiers and mercenaries in the war, either taking part in battles or pursuing secondary goals such as unearthing lost artifacts and ancient weapons.

As I said, Valkyria Chronicles via Stargate or Farscape. Or, less-grim Warhammer 40k.

So, I have a small checklist to help me out:

Squad-level warfare simulation - My players are D&D players, so the familiarity of the "Core Party" should be there to help them acclimate.
Vehicle rules allowing for infantry and armored tanks to operate together - Because Valkyria Chronicles is fun, and players will want a tank.
Equipment and technology on-par with the Interwar Period (1920's-30's) - bolt-action rifles, semi-autos, shotguns, submachine guns, etc. No assault rifles. Tanks are smaller and cruder than WW2, but not far off, and perhaps a few more wild, scifi tech like powersuits and walker-mechs should be possible
Psionics or a magic system that can be refluffed as psychic powers easily - Partly why I considered the Warhammer RPGs first.

Another thing I'm looking at in a secondary manner would be use of the D20 system. That's negotiable, but since my players like D&D, I know that would work well to get them on-board. I first considered one of the Warhammer RPGs such as Only War or Dark Heresy, but that will involve significant editing, and I'm not too familiar with the system outside of a periphery understanding of the base system.

TL:DR - I need a system to run games set in a WW2 in space. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Knaight
2020-04-16, 12:57 AM
The Ubiquity family of games (which are broadly compatible with each other) includes both Space 1889 and Hollow Earth Expedition. Between the two of them you're basically there, HEX has the general tech level, S1889 the space stuff, both can do grid tactics well.