PDA

View Full Version : Malleable Wild Shape

Segev
2020-04-15, 06:38 PM
I have been on a bit of a home brewing kick lately, it seems. Sorry if it’s crowding things.

This one is about an approach to allowing for a different play style with the wild shape Druid. Two uses per short rest is nice, but can feel limiting if you want to play the form-switching master. I thought about this as a feat, but I think it calls for a resource to spend. It is probably too good. The idea is to be able to do things like go from a huge form to a small one or vice-versa. Not for combat, but utility and amusement value.

Malleable Wild Shape
3rd level transmutation
Casting time: 1 action
Components: V, S
Range: Self
Duration: Concentration, up to 5 hours

The next time you wild shape, you may spend an action to change your form during that wild shape into any other you could legally assume. You may do this as many times as you like so long as this spell lasts, without consuming another use of wild shape. Damage carries over between forms, and if you assume a form that is reduced to zero hit points by the damage you have accumulated, the wild shape ends as normal, with damage carrying over to your form if there is any that exceeded the total the form could take.

When the wild shape ends, this spell automatically ends as well.

At higher levels. If you cast this spell with a spell slot of 4th level or higher, it’s maximum duration increases by 2 hours per level over 3rd.

JNAProductions
2020-04-15, 07:58 PM
Why 5 hours? That's an odd duration.

Otherwise... Seems fine to me.

Segev
2020-04-15, 08:12 PM
Why 5 hours? That's an odd duration.

Otherwise... Seems fine to me.

It’s the duration of a single wild shape for a Druid of the minimum level to cast the spell.

JNAProductions
2020-04-15, 08:14 PM
It’s the duration of a single wild shape for a Druid of the minimum level to cast the spell.

Um... No?

You can stay in a beast shape for a number of hours equal to half your druid level (rounded down).

Segev
2020-04-15, 08:24 PM
Um... No?

Oops

So 3 hours, then. You nag up by one per spell slot. That will keep up with their wild shape duration. And a little ahead on odd levels.

I could just make it 8 hours, but my thought was that casting it out of the highest available spell slot would make it stay balanced better. Casting at a lower slot is viable, but leaves you in the normal locked-in shape for the last hour or more.