PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing 5 Battle Smith/15 Wizard build.

Benny89
2020-04-16, 04:00 AM
So I want to build a melee wizard (because I don't like Bladesingers) that is SAD INT and can have both melee and spell punch.

I think SAD INT from Battle Smith is really good, allowing us to focus on INT and start with 16 CON and 14 DEX and 16 INT on Variant Human.

We have CON save throw at start so we can start with War Caster on top of that, then +2 INT and then Sentinel (later about that) and by level 9 have 18 INT, CON save, Warcaster + Sentinel.

Now when I think about it - it's obvious that this build would be concentration heavy if we were to deal good damage in melee. Hence why CON save + Warcaster. So how I can benefit from concentration more?

War Wizard. This is because of how well he combos here with concentration spells:

1. He can use reaction to give himself AC or save bonus. Nice because we won't cast spells every turn, so being unable to cast any spell next turn won't hurt us as much as standard Wizard.

2. While maintaing concentration he gets bonus AC and save throws.

So the final build would be 5 Battle Smith/15 War Wizard. Race: Variant Human to maximize progression if we talk about Point Buy. If you roll- well then it depends of good you rolled.

So now let's think about the obvious spells/features that we would be using:

1. Mirror Image + Sentinel. This allows us to add potential 3rd attack during our turn, since if enemies hit our Mirror Image - Sentinel gives us another reaction melee attack.

2. Shadow Blade - obvious spell. With 3 attacks and 5th level slot we would be dealing potentially 3x (4d8 + 4) = 66 DPR. Not bad for a caster. With Shadow Blade, Half Plate, shield + Durable Magic we will have 21 AC without magic items. 23 AC with Arcane Deflection if we focus about melee damage.

3. This is a question of RAI/RAW - but Shadow Blade is spell. So in theory Power Surge - "Once per turn when you deal damage to a creature or object with a wizard spell, you can spend one power surge to deal extra force damage to that target. The extra damage equals half your wizard level." - should work with Shadow Blade. You deal damage to a creature with a wizard spell after all. So that means that we can always add little bit more damage to our melee attack. It's not much, but it's always bonus damage.

4. Tenser Transformation obviously is another great spell.

5. Simulacrium double buff. Tenser Transformation + Haste would give us a lot of melee damage later.

6. We still get 8th level spells and 9th level slot.

7. We have Shadow Blade OAs with Booming Blade.

That's the idea at least. It's hard to justify multiclassing wizard like that but I thought melee tanky war wizzard smith would be fun to play as.

Any ideas how much more this could be optimized?

Skylivedk
2020-04-16, 04:45 AM
Using cantrips rather than extra attack, you can go Battle Smith lvl 3 instead of 5 , which gives you Wish as a capstone ability, making it one of the best capstone in the game

Edit: typos, formatting and lazy phrasing

Benny89
2020-04-16, 04:49 AM
Using cantrips rather than extra attack, app bs3 instead of 5 -> wish as a capstone

I know, but I wanted to build something more "melee" than melee cantrip.

If I wanted cantrip + Wish I would just build Arcana Cleric instead because he applies double +5 to melee cantrips on top of normal damage. What I wanted is properly armored melee war wizard build. Hence why Battle Smith 5.

Still, worth to consider taking only 3 levels of Battle Master.

But then I guess with only 3 levels- Bladesinger would be better choice because of Extra Attack he gets. SAD INT. But then modium armor + shield from BS is wasted because Bladesinger can't use them. And I would still need to invest ASI into DEX because Light Armor- only.... Hence why I don't like Bladesingers...

Thought Evocation Wizard with Empowered Evocation could add +5 to Booming Blade damage (though only first attack). So 3/17 Battle Smith/Evocaction Wizard could attack with 8d8 + 10 from melee attack with Shadow Blade. But it's only 46 DPR and it's "hit or 0 damage", so not really that good.

Sentinel + Battle Master 5 gives 2-3 melee attacks with Shadow Blade which gives more chance of doing any damage at all instead of 0 if you miss.

Arcana Cleric can get away with that cause he still has Spiritual Weapon + Spirit Guardians.

Skylivedk
2020-04-16, 05:38 AM
I know, but I wanted to build something more "melee" than melee cantrip.

If I wanted cantrip + Wish I would just build Arcana Cleric instead because he applies double +5 to melee cantrips on top of normal damage. What I wanted is properly armored melee war wizard build. Hence why Battle Smith 5.

Still, worth to consider taking only 3 levels of Battle Master.

But then I guess with only 3 levels- Bladesinger would be better choice because of Extra Attack he gets. SAD INT. But then modium armor + shield from BS is wasted because Bladesinger can't use them. And I would still need to invest ASI into DEX because Light Armor- only.... Hence why I don't like Bladesingers...

Thought Evocation Wizard with Empowered Evocation could add +5 to Booming Blade damage (though only first attack). So 3/17 Battle Smith/Evocaction Wizard could attack with 8d8 + 10 from melee attack with Shadow Blade. But it's only 46 DPR and it's "hit or 0 damage", so not really that good.

Sentinel + Battle Master 5 gives 2-3 melee attacks with Shadow Blade which gives more chance of doing any damage at all instead of 0 if you miss.

Arcana Cleric can get away with that cause he still has Spiritual Weapon + Spirit Guardians.

I can relate to the sentiment. Matter of fact is though that when you aren't using Shadow Blade, your Attack is still outdamaged by your cantrip at 11+.

I think Abjuration and Evocation are definitely worth a closer look. I wouldn't be too concerned about the melee damage output. Being a spellcaster you have plenty of reasons for people to hit you anyway and plenty of ways to add damage (ie fireball/cantrip spamming + animate object). The higher level you get, the more you'll find the Shadow Blade to be a dubious use of your concentration slot IMO.