PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Concentration at higher levels

Sirion8288
2020-04-16, 11:26 AM
Hey all,

I'm doing a one shot at lv 13. I already have +11 to my constitution saving throws and as an artificer, I have Flash of Genius (I will be able to add +5 to any skill checks or saving throws - five times I can do this). I feel like I will be able to maintain concentration quite easily...however, how I designed my character he needs to maintain his concentration spells (particularly Haste) to deal out that DPS.

Here is my question, should I keep the infusion Mind Sharpener on my armor (use reaction to maintain concentration) or boost my armor for another +2 AC (put it up to a total of 23; then I can add an extra +2 with Haste and an extra +5 with Shield if necessary). I am the front line individual, tanking it up...so I don't know if I should focus on the AC or make sure that I will maintain concentration. Having a +11 (or +16 with Flash of Genius) seems like I should always maintain concentration...but I haven't done a lv 13 one shot in forever and I forget how strong monsters are at this level and how much damage they can deal.

Here is another question/point, I guess I could remove the Resilience feat and swap it for War Caster....but having proficiency for saving throws for Con, Int, and Wis seems invaluable to protect against those spells....ugh, should I go War Caster instead?

Thoughts?

Thanks

:)

stoutstien
2020-04-16, 12:14 PM
What subclass are you planning on using? Haste tends to work really well with ranged battle Smith or artillerist using the haste action + SSI for some AoE fun. Hanging out up in the middle of everything I would rather have blur or protection from X running.

Trying to combine haste with a character who is attempting to be Targeted a lot is going to be extremely risky. You only have one reaction and if you are facing encounters with multiple types of incoming damage you might want to use the haste action for mobility and repositioning rather than a small bump in damage.

Sirion8288
2020-04-16, 12:28 PM
What subclass are you planning on using? Haste tends to work really well with ranged battle Smith or artillerist using the haste action + SSI for some AoE fun. Hanging out up in the middle of everything I would rather have blur or protection from X running.

Trying to combine haste with a character who is attempting to be Targeted a lot is going to be extremely risky. You only have one reaction and if you are facing encounters with multiple types of incoming damage you might want to use the haste action for mobility and repositioning rather than a small bump in damage.

Battle Smith. I have hand crossbow expert and sharpshooter, but also has a shield. Up in your face with a crossbow. Three attacks, or four with Haste. I thought about Blur, but I figured most things at higher levels have blindsight/truesight and can see through illusions. Also, I have my steel defender who can use its reaction to impose disadvantage to a melee attacker...but that is one reaction and only someone in melee range. Ya, maybe Blur. I also know that the DM is allowing me to have the spell Arcane Weapon but I have to cast it at lv2 (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:arcane-weapon)

stoutstien
2020-04-16, 12:37 PM
Battle Smith. I have hand crossbow expert and sharpshooter, but also has a shield. Up in your face with a crossbow. Three attacks, or four with Haste. I thought about Blur, but I figured most things at higher levels have blindsight/truesight and can see through illusions. Also, I have my steel defender who can use its reaction to impose disadvantage to a melee attacker...but that is one reaction and only someone in melee range. Ya, maybe Blur. I also know that the DM is allowing me to have the spell Arcane Weapon but I have to cast it at lv2 (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:arcane-weapon)

With Arcane weapon available it would be the best option for most cases. Bonus action casting and long duration will give you a lot of life per spell slot which is nice for a 1/2 caster.
If also opens up your options to drop concentration for a web when you need it where haste is all or nothing.