PDA

View Full Version : Oath of Conquest/Treachery build

arnin77
2020-04-16, 01:21 PM
I’m currently playing a level 4 sword and board Oath of Conquest Variant human with Orzhov background and am just wondering how to optimize the build as it is starting to seem a little “one note” with fear, seems to want more spell slots but seems best as single class. I tend to have more fun with roguish/ronin types so I was thinking maybe switching to Oath of Treachery.

Any thoughts/ideas on how to optimize either build and also what levels a Sorcadin build would work at? I’ve read “Wall of Fear” as well as “Unlimited blade works” posts but Conquest and Treachery sorcadin builds aren’t covered much as I think they came out afterwards?

Right now my stats are:

Strength: 15 (19 with Gauntlets of Ogre Power)
Dex: 10
Con: 14 (lvl 1 resilient con)
Int:10
Wis:10
Cha:18 (lvl 4 +2)

I kept my lowest stats at 10 to benefit from level 6 Aura as much as possible.

I really like the idea of a Conquest/Shadow Sorcerer: Orzhov gets you Spirit Guardians and Conquest gets you Spiritual Weapon but IÂ’m just not totally sure when/where to break.

I also like the idea of a Treachery/(Shadow or Divine Soul)

IÂ’m not interested in Warlock/Hexblade as we donÂ’t get many short rests per session and for some reason IÂ’m just not a fan of the class either.

Any ideas on optimizing a Sorcadin build with these two oaths is greatly appreciated!

Vogie
2020-04-16, 02:16 PM
The Treachery Paladin is cool, but the Poison Strike CD falls off in usefulness really fast just because it's poison damage. If you're allowed to also use the UA Class Feature Variant to use a CD to bring back a spell slot, that's less bad.

If you're sold on Spiritual Weapon, Divine Soul is the way to go

I'd actually suggest a dip into Whispers Bard instead - you're opening up utility spells, ritual casting, expertise, more spell slots for smiting, in addition to having "Psychic Smites" with the psychic blade feature. This'd actually work for either a Treachery OR Conquest build, as the Words of Terror Feature allowing you to talk someone into being afraid could be really useful with Conquest's Aura.

Since you stated the character could be roguish, I could also see a Rapier-wielding Treachery Paladin with a Rogue Dip as well - Expertise, Cunning Actions, and if you go to 3 for Swashbuckler, a Charisma-to-Initiative Converter and free disengages. Your Aura of Treachery allows you to proc Sneak Attacks all the time.... You'd only need 13 dex to pull that off - even though you'll likely be using Strength due to the GoOP.

arnin77
2020-04-16, 03:04 PM
The Treachery Paladin is cool, but the Poison Strike CD falls off in usefulness really fast just because it's poison damage. If you're allowed to also use the UA Class Feature Variant to use a CD to bring back a spell slot, that's less bad.

If you're sold on Spiritual Weapon, Divine Soul is the way to go

I'd actually suggest a dip into Whispers Bard instead - you're opening up utility spells, ritual casting, expertise, more spell slots for smiting, in addition to having "Psychic Smites" with the psychic blade feature. This'd actually work for either a Treachery OR Conquest build, as the Words of Terror Feature allowing you to talk someone into being afraid could be really useful with Conquest's Aura.

Since you stated the character could be roguish, I could also see a Rapier-wielding Treachery Paladin with a Rogue Dip as well - Expertise, Cunning Actions, and if you go to 3 for Swashbuckler, a Charisma-to-Initiative Converter and free disengages. Your Aura of Treachery allows you to proc Sneak Attacks all the time.... You'd only need 13 dex to pull that off - even though you'll likely be using Strength due to the GoOP.

Thanks I’ll take a look at whispers bard - bard isn’t really my cup of tea either - not sure why; but it would be thematic and offer up a lot of utility as well. There is a good video for a Conquest/Whisper on YouTube I’ll watch again.

When do you think you’d want to kick out of Treachery to go Rogue?