PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A one handed weapon weapon to surpass the bastard sword?

the_tick_rules
2020-04-16, 11:01 PM
I'm trying to find a one handed weapon that can surpass the bastard sword in 3.5 D&D. Specifically a bludgeon weapon. It's a melee build so I'm defining surpass in terms of how hard it hits. I haven't found anything that I consider better to 1d10 damage, 19-20 crit range, and is a metal weapon so it can be made of special materials. It's not a big deal but since the design is a powerful servant of st Cuthbert and he likes the maces I consider it more thematic.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-04-16, 11:12 PM
How cheesy do you want? MMIV has an exotic weapon, the Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer. 1d12, 19-20x4. Weighs 30 lbs and no listed price, so will absolutely require DM approval. Try to get Impacting on it.

Arms&Equipment Guide has the Lucerne Hammer, 2d4 with Reach.

2020-04-16, 11:29 PM
How cheesy do you want? MMIV has an exotic weapon, the Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer. 1d12, 19-20x4. Weighs 30 lbs and no listed price, so will absolutely require DM approval. Try to get Impacting on it.

Arms&Equipment Guide has the Lucerne Hammer, 2d4 with Reach.

And if you get it small, you can wield it in one hand like you wanted, OP.

Wonton64
2020-04-16, 11:30 PM
Pg. 158 of Complete Warrior has the warmace. Does 1d12 damage, but carries the standard 20/x2 critical range. Also confers a -1 to AC.

Saintheart
2020-04-16, 11:39 PM
I'm trying to find a one handed weapon that can surpass the bastard sword in 3.5 D&D. Specifically a bludgeon weapon. It's a melee build so I'm defining surpass in terms of how hard it hits. I haven't found anything that I consider better to 1d10 damage, 19-20 crit range, and is a metal weapon so it can be made of special materials. It's not a big deal but since the design is a powerful servant of st Cuthbert and he likes the maces I consider it more thematic.

Warmace, 1d12 /x2, from Complete Warrior. Exotic and specifically a one-handed weapon. Bludgeoning, as requested, the damage dice is one better than a bastard sword but the critical range is less. You could get it to hit harder by making it a Heavy (gold or platinum) weapon out of Magic of Faerun (and thus still an exotic weapon), but the damage dice would just go up to 2d8 rather than to the Large damage category specifically. I might note it's not easy to get out-of-the-box critical upgrades to bludgeoning weapons in D&D as far as I can see; I think you'd get more value out of just having a wand of Enlarge Weapon or Mighty Wallop which increases the damage dice and just have fun from there.

In passing, if it's St. Cuthbert specifically, consider an Affiliation with the Church of St. Cuthbert out of Complete Champion - it provides a power to stun and daze once per day.

Vizzerdrix
2020-04-17, 09:39 AM
I think the war spikard can be used one handed.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-04-17, 09:44 AM
Frostburn has the Tigerskull Club, it's bludgeoning and piercing, 1d8 and 20/x4, since it's also piercing it can be made keen.

the_tick_rules
2020-04-17, 09:52 AM
So far I like the warmace idea. I have complete warrior and forgot about it. Not entirely thrilled about the -1 ac but that kind of crushing power isn't going to be free. Plus with the ton of ac boosting items I have identified it's tolerable. I don't have magic of faerun but these heavy weapons sound interesting. are those magical scabbards usable on bludgeons? They usually mention bladed weapons or is that just a description not a firm rule?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-04-17, 11:05 AM
I don't have magic of faerun but these heavy weapons sound interesting. are those magical scabbards usable on bludgeons? They usually mention bladed weapons or is that just a description not a firm rule?

I don't think there's any such thing as a scabbard for a bludgeoning weapon. Those are to keep sharp weapons from injuring you while you carry it. The closest thing would be a... holster? Even then it doesn't make any sense for such a thing to exist.

Thistledown
2020-04-17, 11:33 AM
One magic item that may be of use if you find a weapon that is a size category too large is the Strongarm Bracers in the Magic Item Compendium (page 139 in the revised edition) which allow you to wield weapons as if you were one size category bigger than normal without penalty.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-17, 11:43 AM
The monk's unarmed strike. No, really. Look at how hard you can optimize it. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?285801-Tippy-s-Terrifically-Terrible-Trial/page25&p=15474863#post15474863)

Wonton64
2020-04-17, 12:53 PM
So far I like the warmace idea. I have complete warrior and forgot about it. Not entirely thrilled about the -1 ac but that kind of crushing power isn't going to be free. Plus with the ton of ac boosting items I have identified it's tolerable. I don't have magic of faerun but these heavy weapons sound interesting. are those magical scabbards usable on bludgeons? They usually mention bladed weapons or is that just a description not a firm rule?

The Scabbard of Keen Edges only works on piercing or slashing weapons, since it functions as the spell Keen Edge, which requires said weapon types. The Weapon of Impact spell has the same effect for bludgeoning weapons and I can't imagine a DM having a problem creating a similar magic item for that spell. Maybe something like Leather Wrappings of Impact?

Troacctid
2020-04-17, 02:18 PM
If you don't like the -1 AC, the maul (also from CW) is essentially a bludgeoning version of a bastard sword. 1d10 damage, usable two-handed with MWP or one-handed with EWP, x3 crit instead of 19-20/x2.

animewatcha
2020-04-17, 03:33 PM
Barbed chain from Savage Species might fit your bill. Bludgeoning + piercing. 2d6 one-handed exotic. Can't remember page number. If you go the upper size route ( goliath, monkey bracers ) then 2d6 becoems 3d6.

Draconi Redfir
2020-04-17, 03:39 PM
Pathfinder is pretty close to 3.5 by design, maybe your DM would allow an Orc skull ram (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/orc-ram/) ? d10 damage, reach, Bludgeoning damage, x3 crit, pretty nice. there's a feat that will let you use it as a club too for close-range fighting.

as far as i know it's made of metal, or can be made of metal. in the short time the game run, my DM let me get a custom-made silver cap for the business end of it, allowing me to deal full damage to werewolves. and i'd be able to remove it and replace it with caps made of other materials if i so needed too.

edit: Wait you wanted one-handed. woops, missed that part. probably disregard this post then. unless you can figure out how to wield a spear one-handed.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-04-17, 04:27 PM
The dwarven waraxe is about on par with the bastard sword (1d10, x3), but is a martial weapon if you're a dwarf, making it much more convenient.

Vander Nars
2020-04-19, 10:07 PM
Great maul is 1d10 x3 exotic feat to wield one handed if i remember correctly. its in complete warriors.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-04-19, 10:46 PM
The Scabbard of Keen Edges only works on piercing or slashing weapons, since it functions as the spell Keen Edge, which requires said weapon types. The Weapon of Impact spell has the same effect for bludgeoning weapons and I can't imagine a DM having a problem creating a similar magic item for that spell. Maybe something like Leather Wrappings of Impact?

Pulverize Foe feat (CoR) might be another good one to emulate in an enchantment or crystal for a bludgeoning weapon.. Each additional hit on the same target in a round adds +1d6 damage.