PDA

View Full Version : Zealot Barb STR ASI or Polearm Master?

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 09:25 AM
Old PC died, making a new level 8 PC. Curse of Strahd.

Rolled stats are 16, 16, 12, 9, 8, 7. I can start with up to 1 rare magic item.

I was thinking +2 Greatsword or +2 Halberd.

I was thinking to go Scourge Aasimar for the extra radiant damage on 1 attack and AoE radiant damage.

In that case, would it be better to have 18 Strength and GWM or 16 Strength and GWM & PAM?

Is there a better rare magic item to use?

Should I just scrap Aasimar because it is underwhelming and go for a +2 Strength race? Mountain Dwarf could be nice to get 18s in Str and Con, but the race doesn't excite me too much.

jaappleton
2020-04-17, 09:29 AM
Don’t feel obligated to go Aasimar because MOAR RADIANT DAMAGE. Remember it also harms allies, and you only need to inflict Radiant once per turn to stop many Undead abilities. Zealot already does that. Plus it takes an action to set up. With Rage already consuming a bonus action, you’re now going a full round before you start swinging.

Since PAM offers you an extra attack via your bonus action, and assuming each encounter lasts 3 or 4 rounds, you’ll be getting a ton more mileage out of PAM than a +1 increase to STR.

EDIT: As someone who took a Half Orc Bear Totem through CoS, I highly recommend going Barbarian. Enemies in CoS can be pretty deadly, especially considering how sandbox it is, meaning your party can wander into foes you aren’t supposed to fight yet.

Give strong consideration to just a one level dip of Forge Cleric. You get a magic weapon, and Protection From Evil & Good is a solid spell to cast for when you’ve burned through your Rages for the day. It offers quite a lot for this module, and frees up your Magic Item choice (Cloak of Displacement to offset Reckless Attack?)

SECOND EDIT: A Rare item, right? Go Half Orc. If your DM is willing to let you use any official item, not just ones from the PHB.... Here’s what you want.

From Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount.

Rare, Requires Attunement, Wondrous Item

Butcher’s Bib

+Once per turn when you roll damage for a melee attack with a weapon, you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice. If you do so, you must use the second total.
+Your weapon attacks that deal slashing damage score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.

Now, you always can get Advantage because of Reckless Attack. You’ve doubled your Crit range, and can reroll low weapon damage dice (I’d personally reroll anything lower than 4). And Half Orc gets bonus crit damage, +2 Str and +1 Con, Relentless Endurance. So if you crit with this, as a Barbarian Half Orc, it is going to HURT.

da newt
2020-04-17, 09:57 AM
PAM every time.

Also, I prefer sentinel to GWM personally, and attack @ 10' then back up 5' whenever possible. If you go V Human (boring) you can have all three feats or 2 & 18 ST.

The biggest vulnerability for this PC is WIS saves.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 10:02 AM
PAM every time.

Also, I prefer sentinel to GWM personally, and attack @ 10' then back up 5' whenever possible. If you go V Human (boring) you can have all three feats or 2 & 18 ST.

The biggest vulnerability for this PC is WIS saves.

Don't I know it. Party has a Cleric and Pal 2/Sorc 6. I am hoping one of them can cast either bless or PfG&E on me.

EDIT: What led to the last PC dying was failing a CHA saving throw as a 22 CHA sorcerer in the Amber Temple. Turned on the party and killed 2 of them before dying myself.

"IF" I were to get dominated by a magic user, I would probably just hand the virtual sheet over to the DM and say "He is yours now!" (Not going to do PC combat again, too stressful).

Tes
2020-04-17, 10:12 AM
Pure minmax or what's the goal?
Sunblade with 20 STR is another option (refluff to Flamberge or Bastardsword rather than Long/Arming Sword).
Opens up a Shield as well, 16 Con 12 Dex could use some help with AC. With GWM you'll probably want to frequently use Reckless and even in Half Plate you're looking at AC16. Raising that to 18 and not using Reckless all the time seems a good trade off if the group could use a second Frontliner.
Not sure if you're married to Zealot, but assuming you are the question is if your group needs DPR or a frontliner who can take some hits.
COS ends around lvl10 so you'll never see another ASI if there's no follow up planned.

Well Barbarian Turn 1 Bonus Action is... Rage.
GWM gives you a second thing to do with your Bonus action sometimes.

So PAM still gives that BA Attack but mostly is Reaction Attack + Reach as the biggest benefits.
So that vs 1.5 more avg damage on the weapon die from Greatsword/Maul +2 STR = +1 to hit and +2.5 average damage.

+2 STR or +2 Dex Race lets you max STR and AC 19 with Sunblade. Shadar Kai/Eladrin looks oddly interesting for a mobility option to use with your Bonus Action. SK gets you to an unfortunate 17 Con, but adds Necrotic Resistance. The Teleport is only 1/day but again, Resistance to all damage on demand and a free Misty Step. Eladrin rounds up your CHA save and gives the Misty Step more often. Woodelf would boost WIS to a +0.
Advantage in saving throws vs Charm and immunity to sleep will matter in CoS and so does the free proficiency in Perception, Darkvision and Trance. STR20 for grappling, door smashing and lifting could also be worth more than a bit of extra damage.

Any more infos on party comp and what playstyle is your thing?
/edit: saw the reply about concerns with failing charm saves. So looks like this might actually be interesting for you. Could also go for VHuman to get Resilience WIS/CHA in there.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 11:06 AM
Pure minmax or what's the goal?
Sunblade with 20 STR is another option (refluff to Flamberge or Bastardsword rather than Long/Arming Sword).
Opens up a Shield as well, 16 Con 12 Dex could use some help with AC. With GWM you'll probably want to frequently use Reckless and even in Half Plate you're looking at AC16. Raising that to 18 and not using Reckless all the time seems a good trade off if the group could use a second Frontliner.
Not sure if you're married to Zealot, but assuming you are the question is if your group needs DPR or a frontliner who can take some hits.
COS ends around lvl10 so you'll never see another ASI if there's no follow up planned.

Well Barbarian Turn 1 Bonus Action is... Rage.
GWM gives you a second thing to do with your Bonus action sometimes.

So PAM still gives that BA Attack but mostly is Reaction Attack + Reach as the biggest benefits.
So that vs 1.5 more avg damage on the weapon die from Greatsword/Maul +2 STR = +1 to hit and +2.5 average damage.

+2 STR or +2 Dex Race lets you max STR and AC 19 with Sunblade. Shadar Kai/Eladrin looks oddly interesting for a mobility option to use with your Bonus Action. SK gets you to an unfortunate 17 Con, but adds Necrotic Resistance. The Teleport is only 1/day but again, Resistance to all damage on demand and a free Misty Step. Eladrin rounds up your CHA save and gives the Misty Step more often. Woodelf would boost WIS to a +0.
Advantage in saving throws vs Charm and immunity to sleep will matter in CoS and so does the free proficiency in Perception, Darkvision and Trance. STR20 for grappling, door smashing and lifting could also be worth more than a bit of extra damage.

Any more infos on party comp and what playstyle is your thing?
/edit: saw the reply about concerns with failing charm saves. So looks like this might actually be interesting for you. Could also go for VHuman to get Resilience WIS/CHA in there.

Since it is CoS, a second sunblade would probably be vetoed by the GM and the current one is being held by the greedy dwarf of the party who is supposed to be using guns... He does use it when against undead, it just wastes all his class features even after the DM gave him a fancy special magic item that makes the weapon it is attached to do magic damage to help overcome resistance.

Part comp is Light Cleric, Gunslinger Fighter, Sorcadin, and my Barbarian. I know a stealthy type or monk could be useful but just with how the campaign has been going, I kind of just want to play a simple "me smash" type PC to finish the adventure.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 11:25 AM
Don’t feel obligated to go Aasimar because MOAR RADIANT DAMAGE. Remember it also harms allies, and you only need to inflict Radiant once per turn to stop many Undead abilities. Zealot already does that. Plus it takes an action to set up. With Rage already consuming a bonus action, you’re now going a full round before you start swinging.

Since PAM offers you an extra attack via your bonus action, and assuming each encounter lasts 3 or 4 rounds, you’ll be getting a ton more mileage out of PAM than a +1 increase to STR.

EDIT: As someone who took a Half Orc Bear Totem through CoS, I highly recommend going Barbarian. Enemies in CoS can be pretty deadly, especially considering how sandbox it is, meaning your party can wander into foes you aren’t supposed to fight yet.

Give strong consideration to just a one level dip of Forge Cleric. You get a magic weapon, and Protection From Evil & Good is a solid spell to cast for when you’ve burned through your Rages for the day. It offers quite a lot for this module, and frees up your Magic Item choice (Cloak of Displacement to offset Reckless Attack?)

SECOND EDIT: A Rare item, right? Go Half Orc. If your DM is willing to let you use any official item, not just ones from the PHB.... Here’s what you want.

From Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount.

Rare, Requires Attunement, Wondrous Item

Butcher’s Bib

+Once per turn when you roll damage for a melee attack with a weapon, you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice. If you do so, you must use the second total.
+Your weapon attacks that deal slashing damage score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.

Now, you always can get Advantage because of Reckless Attack. You’ve doubled your Crit range, and can reroll low weapon damage dice (I’d personally reroll anything lower than 4). And Half Orc gets bonus crit damage, +2 Str and +1 Con, Relentless Endurance. So if you crit with this, as a Barbarian Half Orc, it is going to HURT.

I will ask about the Butcher's bib. I like the idea of 1 level dip of cleric, but that would set me back a feat and would have to wait til level 9 to get PAM. I would also have to sink a 16 into Wisdom and be stuck with a 12 CON due to multi-classing rules.

Segev
2020-04-17, 11:29 AM
As a barbarian, the extra attack with PAM will get your rage bonus, so you might be in the territory where more attacks is better. The main thing you usually need to ask yourself is if you're better off adding attacks, or adding damage to a single big attack. 3e, the answer was usually the latter. 5e...it's iffier. Zealots, like Rogues, only add their special bonus damage once per turn. Barbarians (which Zealots are), however, get to add Rage damage to every attack.

Does GWM's extra damage work with PAM's second attack?

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 11:43 AM
As a barbarian, the extra attack with PAM will get your rage bonus, so you might be in the territory where more attacks is better. The main thing you usually need to ask yourself is if you're better off adding attacks, or adding damage to a single big attack. 3e, the answer was usually the latter. 5e...it's iffier. Zealots, like Rogues, only add their special bonus damage once per turn. Barbarians (which Zealots are), however, get to add Rage damage to every attack.

As far as I know it would apply because it is still a heavy weapon.

Tes
2020-04-17, 11:43 AM
Since it is CoS, a second sunblade would probably be vetoed by the GM and the current one is being held by the greedy dwarf of the party who is supposed to be using guns... He does use it when against undead, it just wastes all his class features even after the DM gave him a fancy special magic item that makes the weapon it is attached to do magic damage to help overcome resistance.

Part comp is Light Cleric, Gunslinger Fighter, Sorcadin, and my Barbarian. I know a stealthy type or monk could be useful but just with how the campaign has been going, I kind of just want to play a simple "me smash" type PC to finish the adventure.

Flame Tongue Longsword is also on the table then.
You could also just Metagame to start with an item to trade for the first Sunblade with the player, just saying. :P

jaappleton
2020-04-17, 11:44 AM

Oh it most certainly does. It’s still a Heavy weapon, even if it’s only doing 1d4 damage.

micahaphone
2020-04-17, 11:52 AM
If you can grab a +2 weapon at the get go, I think PAM is the better option here. You'll be hitting just fine, and the +2 and +rage to damage will be nice on the bonus action attacks.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 12:11 PM
@jaappleton I just checked with DM and magic items from Wildemount are being excluded.

Would you say best bet is for something like this:

Half-Orc Cleric 1/Zealot 7
(start as Cleric for Wis saves)
STR 18
DEX 9
CON 13
INT 7
WIS 16
CHA 8

Take forge cleric to get a +1 Halberd and start with PAM for extra attacks and then at level up take GWM (or reverse the order of feats?)

For magic item take a cloak of displacement to offset the advantage on attack rolls against me (concern is I will only have a 16 AC anyways and after hit it would go back to having advantage against me)?

Other idea is to get a +2 weapon and use the forge cleric to buff halfplate to +1 and rock a 17 AC.

Benny89
2020-04-17, 02:11 PM
I was theorycrafting Necrotic Shround Zealot Barbarian build. I paste it here:

So the build is Fallen Aasimar 16 STR, 14 DEX , 14 CON, 14 CHA. 1 Hexblade/12 Zealot using the following feats: PAM, +2 STR, +2 STR.

WIS save proficency to protect Rage from Charm spells. Resistance to radiant and necrotic damage.

Assuming we are raging before combat starts (can be roleplayed easly in most cases):

Bonus Action: Curse, Action: Necrotic Shroud.

Damage:

1d6 + 5 + 3 +5 + 13 + 1d6 + 6
1d6 + 5 + 3 + 5
1d4 + 5 + 3 + 5

DPR total: 71

+ Rage resistance and option to use Reckless attack, advantage on initiative, WIS save, save reroll. Medium armor + Shield
+ if we get PAM reaction attack, that is additional 1d6 + 5 + 3 +5, so it can go vs Curse target to 87,5
with weapon + shield
Curse is till target die, Necrotic Shroud is 1 minute duration
Not saying it's the best one
but it's quite nice DPR
We can add Fighter 2 later for dueling (another + 6 total damage) and Action Surge
I would add fighter after level 16, so we get both Rage Beyond Death and Unlimited Rage.
Then we could get 2 Figher levels and we can Nova for additional 2x (1d6 + 5 + 3 + 5) + 10 from Dueling + 5 from Aasimar higher level now. So total (if we also get reaction attack from PAM) we can achieve: 135, 5 DPR if we Nova
Not bad for Weapon + Shield build that is mostly mundane.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 02:22 PM
So I decided on going with Tortle to take advantage of making that 12 the necessary 13 for multi-classing. Another perk of forge cleric is having identify as a spell because the DM is pretty strict on needing that to find out magical properties.

So for items I was thinking:

- +2 weapon, boring but useful accuract increase for GWM
- Flametongue, for even more damage
- Cloak of displacement, to offset downside of reckless attack until I am hit
- Bracers of Defense, to rock a 19 AC
- Mantle of spell resistance, to help out against spell defense

Thoughts?

chando
2020-04-17, 02:35 PM
What do you want out of the character?

Straigth highest damage? yeah probably anything with polearm master.
I think GWF is quite a damage buff already, along with Reckless Attack rage damage, zealot damage, possibly Asimar damage... should give you bonus action attacks on many rounds, and on the first you have to rage. I'm not sure you need even more damage, or even that PAM is the way to accomplish that that. and doing that much damage Dms might just increase HPs, and now everybody has thougher opponents.

Instead I would invest in other tools for the character. Sentinel is a great tank feat and give you more stickness and more/better reaction attacks.
Why would anyone aproach the halberd blender machine barbarian that has been destroing other minions lefet and right to take and attack to the face for a bazillion damage? now if a sentinel greatsword barbarian that deals that much dmage is standing next to me, taking half damage from my attacks i wanna get the f out of his reach. Either try to run away and die sooner or stay and die a round later. Now if that greatsword is a Flame Tongue...it only gets better... The polearms are not the most represented weapons in magic items loot, but YMMV by DM and table.
Resilient(Wis) also covers a barbarian particular weakness. And along with that, the other Aasimar subrace that gives Flight might be better than a stat boost to Str. You can usually hit fine with Str 16, advantage, and good feats, boots from the party, etc, and just boost your str later with your last two stat boosts if going for barb capstone or items if you happen to find some along the way.

Edit: Ninj'd! But for the build above, everything I said mostly stands... I would go GWF, Flying Aasimar, enjoy the Wis boost, and get flame tongue if avaiable. ;)

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 02:56 PM
What do you want out of the character?

Straigth highest damage? yeah probably anything with polearm master.
I think GWF is quite a damage buff already, along with Reckless Attack rage damage, zealot damage, possibly Asimar damage... should give you bonus action attacks on many rounds, and on the first you have to rage. I'm not sure you need even more damage, or even that PAM is the way to accomplish that that. and doing that much damage Dms might just increase HPs, and now everybody has thougher opponents.

Instead I would invest in other tools for the character. Sentinel is a great tank feat and give you more stickness and more/better reaction attacks.
Why would anyone aproach the halberd blender machine barbarian that has been destroing other minions lefet and right to take and attack to the face for a bazillion damage? now if a sentinel greatsword barbarian that deals that much dmage is standing next to me, taking half damage from my attacks i wanna get the f out of his reach. Either try to run away and die sooner or stay and die a round later. Now if that greatsword is a Flame Tongue...it only gets better... The polearms are not the most represented weapons in magic items loot, but YMMV by DM and table.
Resilient(Wis) also covers a barbarian particular weakness. And along with that, the other Aasimar subrace that gives Flight might be better than a stat boost to Str. You can usually hit fine with Str 16, advantage, and good feats, boots from the party, etc, and just boost your str later with your last two stat boosts if going for barb capstone or items if you happen to find some along the way.

Edit: Ninj'd! But for the build above, everything I said mostly stands... I would go GWF, Flying Aasimar, enjoy the Wis boost, and get flame tongue if avaiable. ;)

So max level we would see is level 11 and that is not guaranteed. So I will at most have 2 ASIs. I guess I am just worried that with only 16 STR, my to hit won't be good enough with advantage to hit things while using GWM.

Edit: I am not opposed to switching out PAM for Sentinel though

CTurbo
2020-04-17, 05:13 PM
I love an Aasimar Barbarian so I say stick with that. 16, 16, 12, 9, 8, 7

Ask your DM for permission for this, but I'd go Scouge Aasimar Zealot Barb with the first level being Cleric for Wis saves

7 Str, 12 Dex, 17 Con, 9 Int, 16 Wis, 10 Cha and take a Belt of Hill Giant Strength as your rare magic item giving you a 21 Str.

Take both PAM and GWM

If the DM won't let you do that per multiclass prerequisites, I'd take a +2 race

If I had to choose between GWM and PAM, I'd rather have the far more reliable PAM especially since you could start with a +2 weapon.

You REALLY want Wis saves whether you multiclass for it or take Res(Wis).

Remember, you could be Variant Human and get a 3rd feat too.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-17, 08:52 PM
I love an Aasimar Barbarian so I say stick with that. 16, 16, 12, 9, 8, 7

Ask your DM for permission for this, but I'd go Scouge Aasimar Zealot Barb with the first level being Cleric for Wis saves

7 Str, 12 Dex, 17 Con, 9 Int, 16 Wis, 10 Cha and take a Belt of Hill Giant Strength as your rare magic item giving you a 21 Str.

Take both PAM and GWM

If the DM won't let you do that per multiclass prerequisites, I'd take a +2 race

If I had to choose between GWM and PAM, I'd rather have the far more reliable PAM especially since you could start with a +2 weapon.

You REALLY want Wis saves whether you multiclass for it or take Res(Wis).

Remember, you could be Variant Human and get a 3rd feat too.

Is a glaive considered a sword? Asking about the Flame Tongue saying (any sword)

Segev
2020-04-17, 10:06 PM
Is a glaive considered a sword? Asking about the Flame Tongue saying (any sword)

It is not. The DM is free to make a flaming glaive if he wants, though.

Makorel
2020-04-17, 10:51 PM
If Eberron is allowed you could always pick up a Dual-Bladed Scimitar to "test run" a PAM build.

Expired
2020-04-18, 12:07 AM
Old PC died, making a new level 8 PC. Curse of Strahd.

Rolled stats are 16, 16, 12, 9, 8, 7. I can start with up to 1 rare magic item.

I was thinking +2 Greatsword or +2 Halberd.

I was thinking to go Scourge Aasimar for the extra radiant damage on 1 attack and AoE radiant damage.

In that case, would it be better to have 18 Strength and GWM or 16 Strength and GWM & PAM?

Is there a better rare magic item to use?

Should I just scrap Aasimar because it is underwhelming and go for a +2 Strength race? Mountain Dwarf could be nice to get 18s in Str and Con, but the race doesn't excite me too much.
Personally, I think Aasimar is a lackluster choice compared to VHuman for a Barbarian—while the extra radiant damage is useful if you need to throw a javelin, it's better, in my opinion, to have two 16's (using point buy) at level 1 and that extra feat that allows builds to be online sooner, especially for PAM+Sentinel+GWM builds wielding a glaive/halberd. I also suggest dumping Str and taking a Belt of Hill Giant Strength (Str=21) as your rare item. This allows you to have a much higher Wis score (which is usually a Barbarian's weakness) and allows you to spread your scores out. Zealot is a good Primal Path but, in my opinion, Path of the Totem Warrior is better for the resistance to all damage except psychic whilst raging (Bear), the proficiency in Survival and Stealth (if Tiger is chosen), and limited flight=walking speed (if Eagle is chosen). I would build your character as follows:

VHuman
Path of the Totem Warrior Barbarian 8
Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha
7(21 w/Belt)-16-16-8-13(12+1->14 w/Res)-10(9+1)
Feats: PAM (Lv.1), Sentinel (Lv.4), GWM (Lv.8), Resilient: Wis (Lv.12), Con ASI+Tough/Mobile+Tough/x2 Con ASI's
Light/Medium Armor
Glaive/Halberd
Lv. 3 Bear totem
Lv. 6 Tiger for Survival and Stealth
Lv. 14 Eagle for flight=walking speed

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-18, 06:07 AM
Personally, I think Aasimar is a lackluster choice compared to VHuman for a Barbarian—while the extra radiant damage is useful if you need to throw a javelin, it's better, in my opinion, to have two 16's (using point buy) at level 1 and that extra feat that allows builds to be online sooner, especially for PAM+Sentinel+GWM builds wielding a glaive/halberd. I also suggest dumping Str and taking a Belt of Hill Giant Strength (Str=21) as your rare item. This allows you to have a much higher Wis score (which is usually a Barbarian's weakness) and allows you to spread your scores out. Zealot is a good Primal Path but, in my opinion, Path of the Totem Warrior is better for the resistance to all damage except psychic whilst raging (Bear), the proficiency in Survival and Stealth (if Tiger is chosen), and limited flight=walking speed (if Eagle is chosen). I would build your character as follows:

VHuman
Path of the Totem Warrior Barbarian 8
Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha
7(21 w/Belt)-16-16-8-13(12+1->14 w/Res)-10(9+1)
Feats: PAM (Lv.1), Sentinel (Lv.4), GWM (Lv.8), Resilient: Wis (Lv.12), Con ASI+Tough/Mobile+Tough/x2 Con ASI's
Light/Medium Armor
Glaive/Halberd
Lv. 3 Bear totem
Lv. 6 Tiger for Survival and Stealth
Lv. 14 Eagle for flight=walking speed

From experience, this DM would enforce sticking to one totem animal. So if I pick bear, I would only get bear stuff.

Also, I decided to go with the Forge Cleric dip because having the spell identify would help fill some gaps, solve some problems.

To accomplish this, I am leaning Tortle to give me the best AC possible and allowing me to meet Wis requirements. Starting as a cleric also helps in the Wis saving throw department.

The biggest things I am trying to determine is choice of magic item and and going either GWM & PAM or GWM & Sentinel.

Edit: Also, Tortle because he will go by the War Tortle

Skylivedk
2020-04-18, 09:32 AM
It's the DM unaware of the rules on identifying magic items in the DMG p. 136 or aware and choosing to house rule? Same question goes for the lock in of the totem Barbarian.

Besides that, I'd watch out for bonus action clutter and having too much time spent with setup in a combat. The zealot build seems to not take that into consideration. IMX combats are usually less than five rounds and effectively often win in 2-3 rounds (with the mix of focus fire having reduced the threat of the encounter to something very manageable)

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-18, 01:20 PM
It's the DM unaware of the rules on identifying magic items in the DMG p. 136 or aware and choosing to house rule? Same question goes for the lock in of the totem Barbarian.

Besides that, I'd watch out for bonus action clutter and having too much time spent with setup in a combat. The zealot build seems to not take that into consideration. IMX combats are usually less than five rounds and effectively often win in 2-3 rounds (with the mix of focus fire having reduced the threat of the encounter to something very manageable)

Aware of both and house-ruling otherwise. Or at least, in CoS, I am sure there are cursed items we would want to identify before attunement to find out anyways.

CTurbo
2020-04-18, 01:56 PM
Nature Cleric will probably be a more useful dip than Forge because most of Forge's 1st level features are going to be wasted on you assuming you choose a +2 weapon to start with which is exactly what I would choose.

If you want max damage then take both PAM and GWM. If you want good damage and better control take PAM and Sentinel.

Sigreid
2020-04-18, 02:41 PM
Personally, I would do the STR asi. My reasoning is simple. I don't like to pigeonhole my characters into one way of being effective so I tend to go for things that apply the most broadly first if I'm going to do them anyway.

Expired
2020-04-18, 06:18 PM
From experience, this DM would enforce sticking to one totem animal. So if I pick bear, I would only get bear stuff.

Also, I decided to go with the Forge Cleric dip because having the spell identify would help fill some gaps, solve some problems.

To accomplish this, I am leaning Tortle to give me the best AC possible and allowing me to meet Wis requirements. Starting as a cleric also helps in the Wis saving throw department.

The biggest things I am trying to determine is choice of magic item and and going either GWM & PAM or GWM & Sentinel.

Edit: Also, Tortle because he will go by the War Tortle
I like the reference! Since your DM will force you to choose the same animal (not enforced by RAW) and you want to play a Tortle, I would strongly a Glaive/Halberd +2 and ignore my previous suggestion of a Belt of Hill Giant's Strength (otherwise the +2 to Str will be wasted) and Path of the Totem Warrior. Just keep in mind that your max Str will be 26 (x1 +2 Str ASI + Primal Champion + Manual of Gainful Exercise) compared to the max of 29 with a Belt of Storm Giant's Strength (odds of getting one are low, but it is a possibility).

I would allocate the ability score rolls like this:
Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha
16(18)-12-16-7-9(10)-8

As for your choice of feat progression, PAM is the best choice—at level 1 for VHumans, and at level 4 for other races. The effect that the bonus action/reaction has on maximizing your action economy should not be ignored. Then take a Str ASI to max Str at 20. Then I would take both Sentinel and GWM—Sentinel is better for Fighters to take first, but you have Reckless Attack as a Barbarian which mostly mitigates the -5 to hit for that massive +10 damage to attacks using your action/bonus action. Remember that Reckless Attack cannot be used on AoO if it is not currently your turn.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-18, 09:27 PM
I like the reference! Since your DM will force you to choose the same animal (not enforced by RAW) and you want to play a Tortle, I would strongly a Glaive/Halberd +2 and ignore my previous suggestion of a Belt of Hill Giant's Strength (otherwise the +2 to Str will be wasted) and Path of the Totem Warrior. Just keep in mind that your max Str will be 26 (x1 +2 Str ASI + Primal Champion + Manual of Gainful Exercise) compared to the max of 29 with a Belt of Storm Giant's Strength (odds of getting one are low, but it is a possibility).

I would allocate the ability score rolls like this:
Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha
16(18)-12-16-7-9(10)-8

As for your choice of feat progression, PAM is the best choice—at level 1 for VHumans, and at level 4 for other races. The effect that the bonus action/reaction has on maximizing your action economy should not be ignored. Then take a Str ASI to max Str at 20. Then I would take both Sentinel and GWM—Sentinel is better for Fighters to take first, but you have Reckless Attack as a Barbarian which mostly mitigates the -5 to hit for that massive +10 damage to attacks using your action/bonus action. Remember that Reckless Attack cannot be used on AoO if it is not currently your turn.

Thanks for the input. One thing of note is due to life circumstances changing for the DM. Once we finish the Curse of Strahd module, the group will stop playing.

All that is to say the max level we are likely to hit is 11 and more likely lvl 10.