PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Your opinions/Raw on my Wall of Thorns questions

Tak Jr
2020-04-17, 11:17 AM
Wall of Thorns states:

You create a wall of tough, pliable, tangled brush bristling with needle-sharp thorns. The wall appears within
range on a solid surface and lasts for the duration.

My question one:

Can the wall take damage if a creature wants to break it down to get through? If so, where are the stats?

Another part states:

You choose to make the wall up to 60 feet long, 10 feet high, and 5 feet thick or a circle that has a 20-foot diameter and is up to 20 feet high and 5 feet thick.

And according to the DMG, page 251, under "Area of Effect", it states "If can area of effect is circular and covers at least half a square, it affects that square."

My question two:

Does this straight line wall have to go through grid lines or will only the squares that it more than half covers be affected when figuring out if characters are in its area or passing through it?

Thanks.

firelistener
2020-04-17, 12:16 PM
There are suggestions for AC and HP of objects like a stone or wooden wall in the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 246-247. So it would depend on the material and size/thickness of the wall if you want to follow that. Ultimately, it's your call as DM though. Personally, I'd give a 5×5 section of thorns AC 14 with 18HP in line with the DMG suggestions. Also probably a weakness to fire damage, being thorns and all.

For the area of effect, Xanathar's Guide to Everything has some more info on pages 86-87 about this. It suggests a rule variant where you just represent sphere zones as squares.

NaughtyTiger
2020-04-17, 02:28 PM
1)
damaging the wall is not covered under RAW.

A common refrain is that is it magical and magical effects do only what the spell specifically states. Narratively, you hack away at the vines, but they regrow just as fast. Wall of water explicilty discusses freezing and damaging the wall

The counter to that is you are the DM and by RAW you can determine how to handle the things that aren't defined by RAW.

2)
No it doesn't have to go through grid lines
Yes players are only affected if the wall covers 50% or more of a square.
If you make it a straight line on a gridline, then the wall is effectively 10 ft wide.