PDA

View Full Version : Blood Wind questions

YellowJohn
2020-04-17, 11:29 AM
I'm building a halfling High-one Warrior Wizard (Paladin/Wizard multiclass), mounted on a riding dog which I'm hoping to upgrade to a dragon with the Dragon Steed feat later. Obviously, the Blood Wind spell (Spell Compendium) has come up in conversation. I want to make sure I'm playing it correctly:

The subject can take a full attack action to use all of its natural weapons or unarmed strikes as if they were thrown weapons with a 20-foot range increment... The subject uses its normal melee attack bonuses and deals damage normally if it hits, though the target of the attacks can benefit from cover or concealment.

So:
1) I assume that this gives my mount a Full Attack action that I can use right now as part of the resolution of the spell, rather than giving it a new way of using the Full Attack action on its next turn?

2) If my mount has the 'Speed' weapon property on its bite (eg: Necklace of Natural Weapons), I assume I can make two 'thrown' bite attacks?

3) I assume the Brutal Throw feat becomes a good investment for my mount if I start making this a regular tactic? What other feats would people recommend?

Thanks in anticipation :smallsmile:

Kayblis
2020-04-17, 11:53 AM
1) The spell allows the user to attack at range. It does not grant a full-round action to use a full attack. On the creature's turn, it can take the Full Attack action to benefit from the spell.

2) Any benefits to the character's full attack count. Applying Speed to a bite weapon allows you to make 2 bite attacks in a full attack. This is not overruled in any way by the spell.

3) You don't need to, because the attacks are resolved the same way as melee attacks. You roll with your usual bonuses, including STR to hit.

YellowJohn
2020-04-17, 12:40 PM
Re-reading the spell description, I see I had indeed gotten it very wrong and am glad I came here for advice :smalleek:

3) You don't need to, because the attacks are resolved the same way as melee attacks. You roll with your usual bonuses, including STR to hit.

Does this mean I can Power Attack?

Segev
2020-04-17, 12:59 PM
Does this mean I can Power Attack?

Absolutely!

It's a nice spell for the right build.

Ramza00
2020-04-18, 03:26 PM
Just a reminder Blood Wind does not work animals for it requires the creature to have an Int of 4 or higher.

It works quite well with Dragons though.

Oh if you can get a high enough UMD on your dragon invest in a wand of Wings of Cover. The dragon umd the wand as an immediate action giving itself cover. Likewise dragon blood characters such as real dragons or pseudo dragons can make those magical wings cover another character in the same space or adjacent and thus the mount can protect you and itself.