PDA

View Full Version : Revised UA Psionic Soul (Sorcerer psionic subclass)

ZRN
2020-04-17, 11:56 AM
I was pretty disappointed by the most recent UA's approach to creating a new sorcerer subclass that would encompass psionics. My beef isn't so much with the new psionics mechanics (although meh), but rather with the fact that the core sorcerer spell list just doesn't really come close to feeling like psionics. I thought maybe the best way to embrace the "psionics as a subclass" idea without creating something arguably overpowered (like the older Aberrant Mind UA subclass) would be to just revamp the entire Sorcerer spell list. That way you can theoretically lose as much as you gain in terms of spell options. I also made a few other adjustments that I think should work better within the context of the psi dice mechanics they're testing out. Let me know what you think

Psionic Spells
1st-level Psionic Soul feature
As your power comes from the mind, you have access to different forms of magic than most sorcerers. Your new spell list is as follows:

Level 1
Arms of Hadar
Catapult
Cause Fear
Charm Person
Color Spray
Command
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Disguise Self
Dissonant Whispers
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
Jump
Mage Armor
Shield
Silent Image
Sleep

Level 2
Alter Self
Blur
Crown of Madness
Darkness
Darkvision
Detect Thoughts
Enhance Ability
Enthrall
Hold Person
Invisibility
Levitate
Mind Spike
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Phantasmal Force
See Invisibility
Shadow Blade
Spider Climb
Suggestion

Level 3
Blink
Catnap
Clairvoyance
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Enemies Abound
Fear
Fly
Haste
Hunger of Hadar
Hypnotic Pattern
Major Image
Slow
Tongues
Water Breathing
Water Walk

Level 4
Arcane Eye
Banishment
Charm Monster
Compulsion
Confusion
Dimension Door
Dominate Beast
Evard’s Black Tentacles
Greater Invisibility
Hallucinatory Terrain
Locate Creature
Phantasmal Killer

Level 5
Contact Other Plane
Creation
Dominate Person
Dream
Geas
Far Step
Hold Monster
Intellect Fortress
Modify Memory
Scrying
Seeming
Synaptic Static
Telekinesis
Telepathic Bond

Level 6
Arcane Gate
Eyebite
Mass Suggestion
Mental Prison
Otherworldly Form
Scatter
True Seeing

Level 7
Etherealness
Plane Shift
Power Word Pain
Project Image
Teleport

Level 8
Antimagic Field
Demiplane
Dominate Monster
Feeblemind
Horrid Wilting
Mind Blank
Power Word Stun

Level 9
Astral Projection
Gate
Power Word Kill
Psychic Scream
Weird
Wish

Psionic Talent
1st-level Psionic Soul feature
You harbor a wellspring of psionic power within yourself, an energy that ebbs and flows as you channel it in various ways. This power is represented by your Psionic Talent die, the starting size of which is a d6.
Psionic Talent Options. You can use your Psionic Talent die in the following ways:

Psychic Sorcery. When you cast a spell, you can use your mind to form it, rather than relying on words, gestures, and materials. To do so, roll your Psionic Talent die; if your roll is below the level of the spell, you take that amount of psychic damage, which cannot be reduced by any means. The spell then requires no verbal or somatic components.
Telepathic Speech. You can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see, and roll your Psionic Talent die. For a number of hours equal to the number you rolled, you and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to the number you rolled. To understand each other, you each must speak mentally in a language the other knows. The telepathic connection ends early if you use this ability to form a connection with a different creature.
Telekinetic Warding.As a reaction when an attack roll hits you but before you take damage, you can roll your Psionic Talent die and add it as a bonus to your AC against that attack.

Changing the Die’s Size. If you roll the highest number on your Psionic Talent die, it decreases by one die size after the roll. This represents you burning through your psionic energy. For example, if the die is a d6 and you roll a 6, it becomes a d4. If it’s a d4 and you roll a 4, it becomes unusable until you finish a long rest.
Conversely, if you roll a 1 on your Psionic Talent die, it increases by one die size after the roll, up to its starting size. This represents you conserving psionic energy for later use. For example, if you roll a 1 on a d4, the die then becomes a d6.
Whenever you finish a long rest, your Psionic Talent die resets to its starting size. When you reach certain levels in this class, the starting size of your Psionic Talent die increases: at 5th level (d8), 11th level (d10), and 17th level (d12).

Psi Replenishment. As a bonus action, you can calm your mind for a moment and restore your Psionic Talent die to its starting size. You then can’t use Psi Replenishment again until you finish a long rest.

Psychic Senses
6th-level Psionic Soul feature
Your psionic talent gives you the innate ability to reach out to other minds. As an action, you can roll your Psionic Talent die and spend 2 sorcery points to do any of the following:
• Cast detect thoughts, with the maximum duration changed to a number of minutes equal to your Psionic Talent die roll.
• Cast calm emotions, with the maximum number of creatures affected equal to your Psionic Talent die roll.
• Cast sending, with the maximum number of words sent and received changed to double your Psionic Talent die roll.
If you know any of these spells, you can replace them with another spell from your list.

Sorcerous Replentishment
6th-level Psionic Soul feature
When you meditate for one minute without interruption, you can spend 3 sorcery points to restore your Psychic Talent die to its starting size.

Mind Over Body (unchanged)

Psychic Aura (unchanged)

ZRN
2020-04-17, 12:55 PM
Some reasoning on my choices here:

Spell List
Honestly I just went through the PHB and tried to grab any spells that looked Lovecraftian or psionic-y and added them to the list; please let me know if I've added something that's incredibly broken with metamagic or whatever, or if I missed something key.

Psychic Senses
This is basically part of the old Aberrant Mind subclass but adapted to the psionic dice mechanic. Adding a bunch of spells known is probably overkill for a subclass, but I feel like a few mostly-noncombat spells like these, with special restrictions added, won't break anything.

Sorcerous Replentishment
The idea here is to let you sub in one of your resource pools for another, in keeping with the general resource-fluidity of the sorcerer class. I'm taking a guess at the cost; 3 might be too expensive but I can't imagine it's too cheap.

Mind over Body, Psychic Aura
These both seem fine to me, if not ideal, so I didn't bother doing anything with them.