PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Since we're on a psionics kick: The psionic barbarian!

Theodoxus
2020-04-18, 11:27 AM
I'm on a massive kick to beef up my home game, based on twelve... twelve gods (and their 12 domains) 12 classes, 12 races, etc. So, I figured, why not 12 subclasses for each class? (Because coming up with another 69 subclasses out of the ones from official sources and some homebrew would be a snap, right?)

So, the Psionic Barbarian - or Path of Immortal, as I'm tentatively calling it. No fluff yet, just crunch, based on the psychic die from the latest UA.

[Per JNA's suggestion - the psychic die details

Changing the Die’s Size. If you roll the highestnumber on your Psionic Talent die, it decreasesby one die size after the roll. This represents youburning through your psionic energy. Forexample, if the die is a d6 and you roll a 6, itbecomes a d4. If it’s a d4 and you roll a 4, itbecomes unusable until you finish a long rest.Conversely, if you roll a 1 on your PsionicTalent die, it increases by one die size after theroll, up to its starting size. This represents youconserving psionic energy for later use. Forexample, if you roll a 1 on a d4, the die thenbecomes a d6.
Whenever you finish a long rest, your PsionicTalent die resets to its starting size.
When youreach certain levels in this class, the starting sizeof your Psionic Talent die increases: at 5th level(d8), 11th level (d10), and 17th level (d12).

Psi Replenishment. As a bonus action, you cancalm your mind for a moment and restore yourPsionic Talent die to its starting size. You thencan’t use Psi Replenishment again until youfinish a long rest.]

3rd Level: Psychic Aura
Starting at third level when you enter a Rage and have a psychic die available, roll the die and gain Temporary Hit Points equal to the amount rolled.
Also at 3rd level, your Rage Damage bonus is Psychic, and once per turn when you successfully hit, you can roll a psychic die and increase the damage by the amount rolled.

[Reasoning - your Rage extends a psychic shield around you, giving you a buffer of hit points and empowering your attacks with psychic damage.]

6th Level: Psychic Fortitude
Starting at 6th level, as a reaction, you can roll a psychic die and reduce the damage from an attack by the amount rolled. This amount is doubled against psychic damage.
You also have advantage on Intelligence saving throws.

[Reasoning - 6th level is typically a defensive level, this grants the barbarian a bit more survivability. The boon to Int saves is nearly a ribbon, but makes them to perfect choice to hunt down those nasty intellect devourers :smallwink:]

10th Level: Psychic Shout
If you have a psychic die available, you can use your action to psychically shout at an opponent. When you do so, choose one creature that you can see within 30 feet of you. The creature must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw (DC = 8 + PB + Int mod) or take the psychic die roll times d4 psychic damage, or half as much on a successful save. You also gain half as much Temporary Hit Points as the creature takes in damage. (THP never stacks.) Using this ability reduces your psychic die by 1 die size.

[Reasoning - 10th level is generally an offensive level, typically with a singular ranged attack (or debuff). Sacrificing your extra attack on the potential of gaining a few d4 (possibly even 1) of psychic damage seemed a good option. The shrinking die size limits the number of uses significantly, and the potential of gaining THP versus the 3rd level ability is minimal unless you're out.]

14th Level: Immortality
If you have a psychic die available when you make a death save, you can roll the die and add it to your saving throw. if your total is equal to or higher than 15, you immediately regain 1 hit point, as if you rolled a natural 20. Using this ability reduces your psychic die by 1 die size.

[Reasoning - Ideally, I'd just use the Zealot's level 14 ability as I think it reflects the idea of Immortality a bit better, but by 14th level, the Immortal will have a base d10 psychic die, which means if he's somehow repeatedly knocked out, he'd be able to make 4 such rolls before losing the die completely, which from an in-game viewpoint would have an enemy screaming "why won't you stay down!" Yes, popping back up isn't guaranteed, but you also can't roll a total of 1, so you're also not facing two fails from die rolling either...]

Thoughts? Too powerful? Not powerful enough? Would anyone take this over a Barbearian in a regular game? It's probably pretty strong in a "hunt for illithids" game...

JNAProductions
2020-04-18, 11:47 AM
Should include an explanation of the Psychic Die.

But based on gut feeling, it doesn't seem too far in any extreme.

Segev
2020-04-18, 01:10 PM
My biggest concern is dψ x d4 damage. Even if you meant dψ d4, that's...awkward. You don't want to roll a die to determine how many dice you're rolling, nor should you be multiplying dice by each other.

I suggest just straight up 4dψ, or something like that.

Dragons_Ire
2020-04-20, 09:08 AM
That actually looks pretty awesome, balance-wise I'd allow it at my table. I agree with Segev though, you don't want to roll dice to determine #of dice to roll. Keep in mind you are sacrificing two attacks for that ability. I'd make it 4d6 or 6d4, personally. That'd give averages of 14 damage and 7 temp HP (failed save, 4d6) or 15 damage and 7 temp HP (failed save, 6d4)

Also, barbarian is already somewhat MAD, so if you make that ability's save DC int-based, consider allowing the barbarian to calculate his unarmored defense as Con+Int or something. Otherwise it will be very, very easy to save against.