PDA

View Full Version : Statting Godzilla

GreyBlack
2020-04-18, 04:57 PM
So, as I'm certain some here are aware, the world of MTG was recently shaken up by the printing of Godzilla and company in the most recent MTG set. Coincidentally, MTG is also in some part canon to the world of D&D after the printing of Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica. Therefore, by chain rule, this now means that Godzilla is effectively canon to D&D.

Given this, I wanted to have a little bit of fun with this. If Godzilla is now canon to D&D, what would Godzilla's stats be in 5e? What abilities would he have? What CR would we be looking at?

EggKookoo
2020-04-18, 05:07 PM
The classic Godzilla is 50 meters tall, or about 164 feet. So that makes him just over three times larger than the Terrasque. Is there a size above gargantuan? Maybe "kaiju"?

Misterwhisper
2020-04-18, 05:26 PM
The classic Godzilla is 50 meters tall, or about 164 feet. So that makes him just over three times larger than the Terrasque. Is there a size above gargantuan? Maybe "kaiju"?

Also the issue that stats top out at 30.

If a barbarian can have a str of 24 or anyone with a special magic belt can get 29, Godzilla should have way over 30.

30 should be the cap for medium creatures, not ones 1000s of times bigger.

EggKookoo
2020-04-18, 06:12 PM
If a barbarian can have a str of 24 or anyone with a special magic belt can get 29, Godzilla should have way over 30.

I think the spirit of the system suggests Strength scales with size category. A Str 20 Large creature can lift more than a Str 20 Medium creature. But for balance purposes the Str mod doesn't scale, so they're both still just +5.

D&D isn't scaled for kaiju-level beasts. You'd have to overlay a new system. I think Godzilla would be best described as a humongous walking area-of-effect. Everything he did would prompt saves from everyone near him, even just walking by. He'd probably insta-kill anything smaller than Gargantuan with any of his attacks. At best, a human-size creature might survive simply because it's like swatting a gnat for Godzilla. Hard to hit the little bugger unless you don't care about environmental damage.

False God
2020-04-18, 06:18 PM
Also the issue that stats top out at 30.

30 should be the cap for medium creatures, not ones 1000s of times bigger.

Stat cap really should scale with size. Lets say, 5 per size category.

It's 5E, so we don't need to get silly with this, but we need to get a little silly in order to stat out a nuclear-powered kaiju.

He's obviously bigger than the biggest size category, lets just call that catch-all category "titanic".
Large +5, Huge +5, Garg +5, Titanic +5. So Godzilla has a Str of 40. His con is 40 too since all his other stats suck. But he's not 1998 Godzilla so his dex clearly sucks. He is not smart nor wise nor charismatic, so his mental stats all suck too, not animalistic, but not good. He's gonna use d20HD because he's a "dragon", 40 of them, because hey, he's Godzilla.

His various incarnations never seem to keep his immunities straight, and it seems like if you hit him with enough of anything it'll do damage. So, he's got damage reduction, again lets get silly but not too silly, so 10/all. You can't control him, but sometimes you can, so he's probably got advantage on saving throws against mind-affecting. And clearly, when Godzilla don't wanna do something, he don't. So he's got some Legendary Resistances too.

His ridiculous size gives him defense against grappling, so he's also got advantage on all checks vs being grappled, except by other titanic creatures (given the movies, they seem to do a pretty good job). Godzilla's sheer size gives him a great move distance, but his actual speed is slow. So lets call that 80. He also can't double move. He can swim, and can breathe under water, so Amphibious and swim speed same as land speed. Godzilla isn't much of a skills guy, but he has Athletics, Intimidate (to which he gets a bonus), and Survival (only vs the elements or damage). He has saving throws in Strength and Constitution.

He has claws but they don't do much damage(3d6+str). His real offense (besides his breath) is in his tail(6d10+str), and then his bite(3d10+str). Also, that big meaty tail causes a strength save or be knocked prone. Godzilla can also swallow you whole if you are large or smaller and you fail a save.

Godzilla's breath weapon damage is rather inconsistent. Sometimes it's fire. Sometimes it's "energy". Sometimes it's "radiation". So we're gonna go with fire. It is however, a line. We'll step up the Ancient Red Dragon's breath by 1/2 again giving him a 39d6 line(which is 10x10) of fire with a DC 27 Reflex save for half. Recharge on 5-6.

And of course he's got a Frightful Presence! Step up again, DC 23 Will save.

And for something special, he can Rage! Usually against poor defenseless buildings, but none-the-less rage he does.
He gains the following rage-related features as though he were a barbarian of the appropriate level:
Rage (oooo big whoop).
Relentless Rage
Persistent Rage
Mindless Rage

So....Godzilla.

Anyway, creativity I got, desire for stat-block formatting, not so much.

SociopathFriend
2020-04-18, 07:27 PM
So, as I'm certain some here are aware, the world of MTG was recently shaken up by the printing of Godzilla and company in the most recent MTG set. Coincidentally, MTG is also in some part canon to the world of D&D after the printing of Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica. Therefore, by chain rule, this now means that Godzilla is effectively canon to D&D.

Given this, I wanted to have a little bit of fun with this. If Godzilla is now canon to D&D, what would Godzilla's stats be in 5e? What abilities would he have? What CR would we be looking at?

AFAIK it's not so much Godzilla was printed so much as Godzilla is available as alternate art to the MtG set involving big monsters.
So Godzilla is basically just a 're-skin'. Meaning if you want to stat out the "MtG Godzilla" you're basically statting up something else entirely.

If however you want Godzilla then it depends a LOT on which continuity you want to deal with.

Case in point:

But he's not 1998 Godzilla so his dex clearly sucks.

Actually the older Godzilla(s?) were pretty darn nimble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpWoNG6H8MY

Crgaston
2020-04-18, 07:35 PM
A Bard with a disguise kit and expertise in performance...?

I'll show myself out.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-18, 08:24 PM
Big T + Breath Weapon + Blue Oyster Cult Battle Music

Misterwhisper
2020-04-18, 11:03 PM
A Bard with a disguise kit and expertise in performance...?

I'll show myself out.

Depending on the era, they wouldn’t need expertise, maybe not even training.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-18, 11:14 PM
Depending on the era, they wouldn’t need expertise, maybe not even training.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ZsUE60eZekR08gM/giphy.gif

DevanAvalon
2020-04-19, 12:42 AM
There already is a Godzilla statblock in DnD. Look up the Gargantuas of Kara-Tur. Reptile Gargantuas are literally Godzilla, Insect Gargantuas are Mothra, and Humanoid Gargantuas are King Kong/Cyclops.

and yes, they include the fact they are radioactive. and have a breath weapon.