PDA

View Full Version : permanent invisibility

Noxangelo
2020-04-18, 09:10 PM
some questions permanent invisibility.

if i attack with a perma invisible weapon, does it stay invisible?

can grafts be made perma invisible? can i run around with invisible arms?

if yes, what about perma invisible skin graft, would that make me invisible or just my skin? :smalleek:

Rebel7284
2020-04-18, 10:30 PM

What effect made the weapon invisible and how is it worded? Probably yes.

What effect made the graft invisible and how is it worded?

if yes, what about perma invisible skin graft, would that make me invisible or just my skin? :smalleek:

Almost certainly up to the DM, but again, what effect or mechanic are you using and how is it worded?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-18, 10:40 PM
There's nothing inherent to the invisibility status that forces something to become visible because it attacked (or was used to attack). The invisibility spell (and anything based on it), however, forces creatures that attack (as well as all of their equipment) to become visible.

However, a sword with invisibility cast on it would become visible if it actively attacked something else (such as if it were an animated object), although being used to hit something else would not. Otherwise, bludgeoning a creature with an invisible kender (as that's all they're good for, really) would force the kender to become visible. However, since the kender isn't itself attacking, it would remain invisible. Probably not living, however, at least for very long. As it should be.

A sword that's invisible because it's being wielded by a creature under invisibility would become visible when used to attack, not because of its invisible nature, but because the wielder is the target of the spell, rather than itself.

the_tick_rules
2020-04-18, 10:54 PM
if you ever get ioun stones make them permanently invisible, if people don't know they are there can't smash them.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-18, 11:10 PM
if you ever get ioun stones make them permanently invisible, if people don't know they are there can't smash them.They're still vulnerable to blindsight, touchsight, see invisibility, and true seeing, though. Superior invisibility or (psionic) sequester will take care of most of that, and you'd need a way to make it ethereal or incorporeal to avoid touchsight (but not Transdimensional or Ghost Touch touchsight).

Noxangelo
2020-04-19, 04:19 AM
i'm talking specifically about objects made permanently invisible through the use of the invisibility spell and the permanency spell

the_tick_rules
2020-04-19, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure. It says the spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. It depends on how broadly subject is defined. I know it wouldn't affect the iouns stones I mentioned earlier and I know it would affect a person. It says it can be made permanent on objects only, which is a different word than subject. I think it would go visible once used to attack though probably.

False God
2020-04-19, 09:52 AM

Within the constrains of your question, I'd argue it'd "blink". You make the attack, the sword appears, after the attack, it disappears, either at the end of your turn or the beginning of your next turn. Rinse and repeat.

I'd argue that they are not separate elements, so no.

It is not separate, so no.

IMO: magic isn't smart on it's own. It can't tell the difference between your grafted skin and regular skin that's just part of you. It can't tell where your arms end and where your torso begins. A sufficiently high spellcraft check might overcome this but that's a DM call. Otherwise IMO magic needs clearly defined edges in order to know where to stop.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-19, 10:12 AM
Within the constrains of your question, I'd argue it'd "blink". You make the attack, the sword appears, after the attack, it disappears, either at the end of your turn or the beginning of your next turn. Rinse and repeat.If the object becomes visible, its duration ends, so no, it wouldn't go invisible again, permanency or otherwise. Other Permanent effects are ended if dispelled or dismissed; I don't see why permanency would be any different.

I'd argue that they are not separate elements, so no.

It is not separate, so no.

IMO: magic isn't smart on it's own. It can't tell the difference between your grafted skin and regular skin that's just part of you. It can't tell where your arms end and where your torso begins. A sufficiently high spellcraft check might overcome this but that's a DM call. Otherwise IMO magic needs clearly defined edges in order to know where to stop.If the graft is made permanently invisible prior to becoming part of you, it's still invisible, even after being grafted. It's simply part of you that's been rendered invisible. Much like how a graft retains its magical enhancements (say, something like this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook&p=23285432&viewfull=1#post23285432)) after being grafted.

As far as the grafted skin goes, the skin would be invisible. You would not. There is precedent for this. (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/thoughtEater.htm)

Segev
2020-04-19, 12:22 PM
I would just like to point out that a graft is not suction-cupped or sticky-taped onto you. It is an invasive attachment. So if it is invisible, the place it attaches will have apparently-open wounds where the connection occurs and extends into the body.